Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Farming/Farm work in Australia

Farming/Farm work in Australia

Old Sep 9th 2003, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Farming/Farm work in Australia

My daughter has been asking me about also moving to Australia.
Her husband is a farmer, aged 45, and has a small farm over here in the UK
He has sheep and cattle, but also goes to work on other farms at lambing time etc.
This time of year he works for a local big farmer, doing all those things you do with tractors and farm equipment - Arable ( I think you call it).

If he wanted to do the same thing over in Australia, does anyone have any information or advice that might help, as I would dearly love them to come out with us.

Whisky
Old Sep 9th 2003, 6:11 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Farming/Farm work in Australia

Originally posted by whisky
My daughter has been asking me about also moving to Australia.
Her husband is a farmer, aged 45, and has a small farm over here in the UK
He has sheep and cattle, but also goes to work on other farms at lambing time etc.
This time of year he works for a local big farmer, doing all those things you do with tractors and farm equipment - Arable ( I think you call it).

If he wanted to do the same thing over in Australia, does anyone have any information or advice that might help, as I would dearly love them to come out with us.

Whisky
my son in law ,andrew, works for a local potato farmer, the money is not flash, $15 an hr no overtime rate but you can work as long as you want[sometimes 80hrs aweek} so you can make up the money if your prepared to put the effort in. he loves the job they harvest up to 75-100 tonne of spuds a day using all the latest machinery, nothing old ,but at$1000 a tonne theres money in spuds. he said to look here www.stockjournal.com.au ..... MM
Old Sep 9th 2003, 6:51 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by mr mover
my son in law ,andrew, works for a local potato farmer, the money is not flash, $15 an hr no overtime rate but you can work as long as you want[sometimes 80hrs aweek} so you can make up the money if your prepared to put the effort in. he loves the job they harvest up to 75-100 tonne of spuds a day using all the latest machinery, nothing old ,but at$1000 a tonne theres money in spuds. he said to look here www.stockjournal.com.au ..... MM
My wifes uncle is a potato farmer.....lives in Balaklava. I'll get her to ask him about it Whiskey if that would be useful?
Old Sep 9th 2003, 7:04 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default farming in Oz

Hi, What sort of visa would he be going on.We tried age 49years, sorry cut off point was 45 years we had all other qualification but too old. Had to wait till retirement and go on 410, visa only allowed 20 hours work a week but that suits me Colin.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

OMG Whisky - how old are you then if your son in law is 45 you looked quite young in your piccie!
Old Sep 9th 2003, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
My wifes uncle is a potato farmer.....lives in Balaklava. I'll get her to ask him about it Whiskey if that would be useful?

If you wouldn't mind Petey. I so would hope that they could come out.

Whisky
Old Sep 9th 2003, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Smile

Originally posted by debsy
OMG Whisky - how old are you then if your son in law is 45 you looked quite young in your piccie!

How young Debsy?

I knew someone would ask that one!!

My son in law is the same age as me!!:scared: :scared:

But he doesn't look it, and they are very happy together.

Whisky
Old Sep 9th 2003, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: farming in Oz

Originally posted by yafm
Hi, What sort of visa would he be going on.We tried age 49years, sorry cut off point was 45 years we had all other qualification but too old. Had to wait till retirement and go on 410, visa only allowed 20 hours work a week but that suits me Colin.

I think age will go against him. That will be awful if she wants to come out.

She will have to trade him in for a newer model, or maybe there is a spare job going as a scarecrow . And no, He isn't ugly just classed as old in Australias eyes. He is fitter than a butchers dog!!

Whisky