Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Farmers Union. The best drink?

Farmers Union. The best drink?

Old Oct 29th 2003, 10:41 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Farmers Union. The best drink?

I LOVE this stuff, and hate to think how much i drank when i was out there last.

Give it a go when you arrive

http://www.natfoods.com.au/for_consu...ced_Coffee.stm
Old Oct 29th 2003, 11:04 am
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Farmers Union. The best drink?

Same here PeteY, drank loads of the stuff when we were in Brissie earlier in the year. BUT - have you seen how many calories are in it?
:scared: :scared: :scared:

It's no wonder I put on a stone in 4 weeks......
Old Oct 29th 2003, 11:10 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ohsohopeful
Same here PeteY, drank loads of the stuff when we were in Brissie earlier in the year. BUT - have you seen how many calories are in it?
:scared: :scared: :scared:

It's no wonder I put on a stone in 4 weeks......
Saves wearing as much lead when you dive though eh

I take it from your avatar you dive? Seeing as its my thread, i have given myself permission to go off topic

The wife and I are REALLY keen to make diving the first new hobby we have a go at when we arrive. Did you do any in aus? Was it good? What would you advise regarding lessons? We were thinking of having a week up on the barrier reef and doing a course up there....

Pete
Old Oct 29th 2003, 11:35 am
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

PeteY

Funnily enough, putting on bodyweight means you will need more weight to dive with, not less, assuming you've put on bodyfat of course (which was certainly the case with me!).

Would recommed you go with a PADI accredited dive school, this is an international standard of quality and safety for dive schools and if they are PADI 5 star facility then you can't get any better IMO. There's a bit of theory to learn in the classroom and pool before you get into open water but I reckon they're the best teachers around. it also means that once you are PADI qualified you can dive anywhere in the world.

I actually qualified in Oz earlier this year, on the Whitsundays so can thoroughly recommend what you're suggesting. We went with ProDive Whitsundays and they were fantastic. My other half was already qualified to quite a high level so he decided to do the Rescue Diver course. I had dived only once or twice before in the Caribbean so signed up for the full Open Water course. Whilst doing the theory for the courses we also did the Padi First Aid certificate, a one day course which was very enlightening and worthwhile.

We had signed up for a 3 day liveaboard course, during which time we did the necessary dives and in-water exercises to qualify, followed by several "free" dives as newly qualified divers, diving without an instructor! Also did an adventure dive which qualifies me to dive to 30m.

I can't recommend it highly enough. We sacrifieced over a week of our holiday for it in total but it was the best week I've ever spent, learnt lots, achieved lots and had a great time.

Of course diving on the Whitsundays is one of the best and what better place to say you learned to dive than on the GBR?

Go for it, you won't regret it.

Sorry such a long post but I could go on for ages. There are some photos on our website ozdiary.com if you look at the Gallery and at the Australia 2003 holiday photos you'll see some shots of us diving and of the boat we were on.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 11:42 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

PeteY

Funnily enough, putting on bodyweight means you will need more weight to dive with, not less, assuming you've put on bodyfat of course (which was certainly the case with me!).

Would recommed you go with a PADI accredited dive school, this is an international standard of quality and safety for dive schools and if they are PADI 5 star facility then you can't get any better IMO. There's a bit of theory to learn in the classroom and pool before you get into open water but I reckon they're the best teachers around. it also means that once you are PADI qualified you can dive anywhere in the world.

I actually qualified in Oz earlier this year, on the Whitsundays so can thoroughly recommend what you're suggesting. We went with ProDive Whitsundays and they were fantastic. My other half was already qualified to quite a high level so he decided to do the Rescue Diver course. I had dived only once or twice before in the Caribbean so signed up for the full Open Water course. Whilst doing the theory for the courses we also did the Padi First Aid certificate, a one day course which was very enlightening and worthwhile.

We had signed up for a 3 day liveaboard course, during which time we did the necessary dives and in-water exercises to qualify, followed by several "free" dives as newly qualified divers, diving without an instructor! Also did an adventure dive which qualifies me to dive to 30m.

I can't recommend it highly enough. We sacrifieced over a week of our holiday for it in total but it was the best week I've ever spent, learnt lots, achieved lots and had a great time.

Of course diving on the Whitsundays is one of the best and what better place to say you learned to dive than on the GBR?

Sorry such a long post but I could go on for ages. There are some photos on our website ozdiary.com if you look at the Gallery and at the Australia 2003 holiday photos you'll see some shots of us diving and of the boat we were on.
Agree with ohso about the PADI accreditation, Dagboy has his, I have only done an introductory but enjoyed it. You can dive around Brisbane, but if you need an excuse to go to the GBR, diving in the Whitsundays would be a good one

Particularly agree about the body fat thing too, I kept on floating away LOL!!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 11:43 am
A Male Member

PeteY

Never apologise for a long thread I love to read about other peoples experiences.

Guess we will have a look at the whitsundays then. I've had a look on the web and we were thinking about treating it as an opportunity to go all the way up to Port Douglas, as i've only been as far north as Cairnes before. We will just have to wait and see what happens, as we will need to find work and get settled first, so it won't be until later next year. Can't wait

We VERY nearly went on a padi course here in the UK about 6 months ago, but we were put off by the need to do most of the training in a swimming pool, and then more at a local reservior ! Blow that we thought, we'll wait until we get to the tropics

Thanks for your reply.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 6:46 pm
Badge

In the UK, there are schools like BSAC which look down their noses at PADI - they see it as less rigorous, but PADI is geared to "fun" diving in good conditions all you need/want - and it is world wide..I learnt to dive in the UK and it was a miserable cold nightmare!! Couldn't see my arm in front of my face..

They call it "Pay Another Dollar, Idiot"!!

I used to love the caramel stuff; shake it around and it's almost solid!!