Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Farmers Market - Perth

Farmers Market - Perth

Old May 26th 2008, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of
Default Farmers Market - Perth

So last night I do a last minute shop at the local IGA for fruit and stuff for the kids packed lunches - got to the checkout and discovered that the grapes were $16.99 a kilo

I know there is one on a Saturday at Mount Claremont Primary School but we have football then so can't make it. Does anyone know of market stalls/farm shops etc open during the week within 20-30 of the CBD (NOR)?

Thanks

Galba
Old May 26th 2008, 11:04 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Farmers Market - Perth

Originally Posted by galba
So last night I do a last minute shop at the local IGA for fruit and stuff for the kids packed lunches - got to the checkout and discovered that the grapes were $16.99 a kilo

I know there is one on a Saturday at Mount Claremont Primary School but we have football then so can't make it. Does anyone know of market stalls/farm shops etc open during the week within 20-30 of the CBD (NOR)?

Thanks

Galba
the reason grapes are so pricey is they are almost out of season. Give it a month and you won't even see them. Farmers markets would probably only sell seasonal produce and grapes won't be see again till spring.
Old May 26th 2008, 11:11 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Galba
Drive up the Wanneroo Road in the Carramar area and further north and there are lots of farm shops. Whether you would save enough to counter the extra petrol use from Claremont is another question though.
Old May 26th 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Galba
Have you tried the Subi markets.They are open Fiday,Saturday and Sunday.There are at least two veg and fruit stalls left in the outdoor markets.
Old May 26th 2008, 12:43 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Have you tried the Subi markets.They are open Fiday,Saturday and Sunday.There are at least two veg and fruit stalls left in the outdoor markets.
I thought they had shut now?
Old May 26th 2008, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I thought they had shut now?
Didnt think they had,was in there fairly recently.
Old May 26th 2008, 1:59 pm
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Didnt think they had,was in there fairly recently.
http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/200...news/001.shtml

"Subiaco's Pavilion Market will close forever on Sunday, December 30 [2007], after 25 years as a throbbing heartbeat of Rokeby Road."
Old May 26th 2008, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Not much good for people NOR but there's a market at the Crescent in Midland on Sundays til about 3pm.
Old May 26th 2008, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough

Not sure where you are but what is wrong with Wanneroo Markets at Wangara, there are lots of fruit and veg stalls and it is open Friday, Saturday and Sunday and also Public holidays.
Old May 27th 2008, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cj321
Not sure where you are but what is wrong with Wanneroo Markets at Wangara, there are lots of fruit and veg stalls and it is open Friday, Saturday and Sunday and also Public holidays.
Nothings wrong with them - just didn't know about them! I'm in Nedlands.

Galba
Old May 27th 2008, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future

Thanks

Galba
Last Sunday I payed $7.99/kilo for seedless grapes at Wanneroo Markets at Wangara, 33 Prindiville Drive; http://www.wanneroomarkets.com.au/
Old May 27th 2008, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough

Nothings wrong with them - just didn't know about them! I'm in Nedlands.

Galba
Sorry I thought you were further north.

Friday is the best day if you only want fruit and veg. as most of the other market is closed and the produce is fresher. Hope this helps.
Old May 27th 2008, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

The reasons grapes are so expensive is that they are out of season now. Grapes are a summer fruit and any that are available now are either imported from the U.S. or have been in cold storage for too long. You will find imported grapes, oranges, strawberries and cherries out of season as well as a few other fruits but generally Australia does not import much in the way of fruit and vegetables as it can all be grown here. So if you buy your fruit and veg. when they are in season they will be at their cheapest and freshest. Better to put up that than having to buy imported fruit that has been in transit for who knows how long or out of season stuff that has been in cold storage for months.

Also I think fruit and veg. could be more expensive in W.A. as some of it has to come from the eastern states and transport costs are a factor.
Old May 27th 2008, 4:59 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by melbournegirl
The reasons grapes are so expensive is that they are out of season now. Grapes are a summer fruit and any that are available now are either imported from the U.S. or have been in cold storage for too long. You will find imported grapes, oranges, strawberries and cherries out of season as well as a few other fruits but generally Australia does not import much in the way of fruit and vegetables as it can all be grown here. So if you buy your fruit and veg. when they are in season they will be at their cheapest and freshest. Better to put up that than having to buy imported fruit that has been in transit for who knows how long or out of season stuff that has been in cold storage for months.

Also I think fruit and veg. could be more expensive in W.A. as some of it has to come from the eastern states and transport costs are a factor.
I avoid this problem by only consuming grapes which have been fermented and bottled, thus extending their shelf life.

You can get cleanskins from $3 a bottle so cheaper too!
Old May 27th 2008, 5:17 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

My local is Supa Valu, grapes here at the mo is $4.99 a kilo..... I always buy my fruit and veg from there, cheap and fresh....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.