Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

fao painters & decorators already in australia

fao painters & decorators already in australia

Old Mar 9th 2006, 8:59 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default fao painters & decorators already in australia

hi all

how good and/or accessible is painting and decorating tools etc in australia. ie. does hubbie need to bring his over from the uk, or is it okay to buy anew in australia (price wise and quality).

just trying to sort out what is needed to be taken over.

thanks in advance
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: fao painters & decorators already in australia

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
hi all

how good and/or accessible is painting and decorating tools etc in australia. ie. does hubbie need to bring his over from the uk, or is it okay to buy anew in australia (price wise and quality).

thanks in advance
Hi I am not in oz yet but am a painter waiting for request for meds,you could look at Bunnings warehouse,mitre 10,paintspot who I think are a Melbourne company,not sure of web address,put in google I am sure you will find them there.Where are you heading for,we are going to Melbourne hopefully,good luck.Cheers Dave
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fao painters & decorators already in australia

hi all

thanks in advance
i love it when you do your posts for hubby cos i know its exactly the same as i want to ask

where are ou moving to sb? mind you, hubby wants to do something else when we get there! had enough of painting after 20 odd years, cat say i blame him, i have to do the painting in our house.

i'd miss seeing him his sexy overalls though really!!
Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:06 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weeman111
Hi I am not in oz yet but am a painter waiting for request for meds,you could look at Bunnings warehouse,mitre 10,paintspot who I think are a Melbourne company,not sure of web address,put in google I am sure you will find them there.Where are you heading for,we are going to Melbourne hopefully,good luck.Cheers Dave
thanks dave.

hopefully we are heading for NSW, sometime around september this year.

what visa type are you and when did you submit you application?
what are you going to do, take your gear over or buy new?

SB
x
Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:13 am
Never going back

Originally Posted by debbiemc
i love it when you do your posts for hubby cos i know its exactly the same as i want to ask

where are ou moving to sb? mind you, hubby wants to do something else when we get there! had enough of painting after 20 odd years, cat say i blame him, i have to do the painting in our house.

i'd miss seeing him his sexy overalls though really!!
debbie, if we dont ask for them, they wouldnt ask, would they - lol

we are hopefully moving out to NSW sometime around september.

hubbie has already had his 'break' from p & d. he reckons its something you grow into with age. he enjoys it a lot more now, than he did at the beginning, he despised it then. his dad made him 'get a trade', as he too was a p & d, as his dad was b4 him, so bit a family thing. after getting laid off so many times, he left it alone and went doing other things. he still helped his dad out though (as he didnt like ladders and heights..... , how can you not like ladders as a painter!!). the work for his dad became more and more as he got older, and h started to actually enjoy it

h wont let me do anything decorating in the house, except to be his labourer, pasting and tidying all the crap away - i reckon we make a good team!!

where are you heading to debbie?

SB
XX
Old Mar 10th 2006, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future

Hi all.... I am a painter decorator that moved out here in October last year... Like most said I'd had enough of the dust and S@#t involved in the trade and wanted to do something different...... Guess what?????....... Within 6 weeks put the wheels in motion for own business again.... Its what you've always known and done..... There is a mountain of work here, if you like working for other people, but I,ve found these last few months quite tough.... Priced a fair amount of work but no takers as yet. Makes me wonder if too expensive or too cheap.... I brought all my tools out here and bought new ones too.... Why replace all your tools when as our Removers said there is plenty of room in the container......... I guess we are quite lucky in that we have arrived with a good amount of money as a buffer and have family here to stay with, so renting or buying is not high on the agenda.... My wife is waiting for the right position to come up and I have the lucky luxury of hanging on for my own work....... I have worked for other decorators out here but after running my own business for the last 12 years in the UK find being an employee again hard to swallow........... If you need to ask anything let me know...
Good luck to all
Old Mar 11th 2006, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cypry
Hi all.... I am a painter decorator that moved out here in October last year... Like most said I'd had enough of the dust and S@#t involved in the trade and wanted to do something different...... Guess what?????....... Within 6 weeks put the wheels in motion for own business again.... Its what you've always known and done..... There is a mountain of work here, if you like working for other people, but I,ve found these last few months quite tough.... Priced a fair amount of work but no takers as yet. Makes me wonder if too expensive or too cheap.... I brought all my tools out here and bought new ones too.... Why replace all your tools when as our Removers said there is plenty of room in the container......... I guess we are quite lucky in that we have arrived with a good amount of money as a buffer and have family here to stay with, so renting or buying is not high on the agenda.... My wife is waiting for the right position to come up and I have the lucky luxury of hanging on for my own work....... I have worked for other decorators out here but after running my own business for the last 12 years in the UK find being an employee again hard to swallow........... If you need to ask anything let me know...
Good luck to all
Hi,what part of oz you in?I am self employed,have been for 6 years do a lot of sub work so wont mind working for anyone else,we are heading to Frankston area as we have family there,heard there is a bit of work going about,what is money like if employed by company or whoever.thanks in advance cheers Dave
Old Mar 11th 2006, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks dave.

hopefully we are heading for NSW, sometime around september this year.

what visa type are you and when did you submit you application?
what are you going to do, take your gear over or buy new?

SB
x
Hi SB,we are 139 visa got ack 12 dec so hope to hear something soon.We are going to Melbourne area first,family there,probably will take some gear over,been self employed here in Scotland last 6 years,plenty work but trying to get paid sometimes is not easy!! Hope to get work with family friend when arrive,willing to try anything though,just cant wait to get there,what visa are you.good luck Dave
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future

Hi,what part of oz you in?I am self employed,have been for 6 years do a lot of sub work so wont mind working for anyone else,we are heading to Frankston area as we have family there,heard there is a bit of work going about,what is money like if employed by company or whoever.thanks in advance cheers Dave

Dave.... Have pm'd you
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:36 pm
Never going back

Hi SB,we are 139 visa got ack 12 dec so hope to hear something soon.We are going to Melbourne area first,family there,probably will take some gear over,been self employed here in Scotland last 6 years,plenty work but trying to get paid sometimes is not easy!! Hope to get work with family friend when arrive,willing to try anything though,just cant wait to get there,what visa are you.good luck Dave

dave, we are but a lowly 138 visa type - takes ages and ages and ages and....... you get the picture
Old Mar 11th 2006, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cypry
Dave.... Have pm'd you
Pm"d you back Cheers
Old Mar 12th 2006, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

They are crying out for painters and decorators here in Perth, due to so many new builds going up.
My hubby has been a painter/decorator for 25 years (yipes......HOW old does that make us sound!!!!)
Paint is quite pricey here, and they are a bit behind of the times!!! But you can still get a majority of your tools here.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 10:24 am
Never going back

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
They are crying out for painters and decorators here in Perth, due to so many new builds going up.
My hubby has been a painter/decorator for 25 years (yipes......HOW old does that make us sound!!!!)
Paint is quite pricey here, and they are a bit behind of the times!!! But you can still get a majority of your tools here.

thanks sandra. does your hubbie work for a company, or is he self-employed?