British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   FAO ABC Diamond (re Car Hire) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/fao-abc-diamond-re-car-hire-252985/)

jaruky Sep 6th 2004 9:19 am

FAO ABC Diamond (re Car Hire)

Dear ABC
just wondered if you can give any feedback on REXELLENT car hire? there main office is (I think) based in your neck of the woods (Redland Bay Road near the junction with Old Cleveland Rd)
They seem very reasonable and pick up from the airport is only an extra $22 (compared to others astronomical charges) - However - I have learnt that the cheapest is not always the best......any of your knowledge on this one would be appreciated, we are arriving on 1st November :eek: .

Thanks in advance

Simon

ABCDiamond Sep 6th 2004 10:25 am

Re: FAO ABC Diamond (re Car Hire)

Originally Posted by jaruky
Dear ABC
just wondered if you can give any feedback on REXELLENT car hire? there main office is (I think) based in your neck of the woods (Redland Bay Road near the junction with Old Cleveland Rd)
They seem very reasonable and pick up from the airport is only an extra $22 (compared to others astronomical charges) - However - I have learnt that the cheapest is not always the best......any of your knowledge on this one would be appreciated, we are arriving on 1st November :eek: .

Thanks in advance

Simon

Simon
I had never seen them before, but Yes, they are local, in Capalaba. I'll be round that way tomorrow, so if I get chance i'll have a look at them as I go past.

Are you going to be staying in the Capalaba area or just getting the car there?

jaruky Sep 6th 2004 3:57 pm

Thanks ABC - we have arranged 6 weeks temp accommodation at Bardon(?) - good size house for us all (5 of us) - until we can get a feel for the place, but reading your threads has sold us a little on your neck of the woods.

Flights booked for end of October - maybe see you around,

thanks again

Jaruky

ABCDiamond Sep 7th 2004 2:57 am

Thanks ABC - we have arranged 6 weeks temp accommodation at Bardon(?) - good size house for us all (5 of us) - until we can get a feel for the place, but reading your threads has sold us a little on your neck of the woods.

Flights booked for end of October - maybe see you around,

thanks again

Jaruky

Bardon is nice and handy for the City, also very close to a nice area at Mount Coot-Tha.

The Rexellent car rental place seems to share the office with Capalaba Central car Sales, a small secondhand car sale forecourt with about 20 cars on display at the front. Not in the same league as the larger ones, but then again who can tell for certain. Sorry that I cant be any more help on that.

jaruky Sep 7th 2004 9:19 am

thanks for that ABC - it's only for a couple of weeks and is a lot cheaper than the ohters, meet & greet and the airport etc - although it may be we get what we pay for??!!

thanks again

JackTheLad Sep 7th 2004 10:30 am

thanks for that ABC - it's only for a couple of weeks and is a lot cheaper than the ohters, meet & greet and the airport etc - although it may be we get what we pay for??!!

thanks again

jaruky,

just a wee thought for you. We went for the cheapest rental company we could find, and chose the second cheapest car they had. It was a nightmare of an 8 year old toyota corolla that squeaked, and grinded and had me on my toes for 2 weeks wondering when it would breakdown.

Looking back, I wish I'd gone for something a bit more upmarket, something that could be relied on. As it turned out, it never broke down, but the stress wasn't worth it for an extra hundred bucks.

Just a thought,
JTL

evorobin Sep 7th 2004 11:02 am

Hire a Focus off Europcar until you can buy a cheap shitbox ie magna etc for $1000. In hindsight that is what I would have done. Cheap deals aren't always great. Bird's uncle went to a small outfit and ended up paying more on an ageing falcon for a week than Europcar or the other big firms charge for new cars...

footie chick Sep 7th 2004 11:07 am

Hi

Well we landed at Brisbane airport expecting our car rental from Mooloolaba to be waiting... they weren`t. After queuing at the other car rental places to be told no cars were available the girl at the Budget desk tried Abel who had the vehicles, they had free transfers too and from the airport and worked out about $70 cheaper plus after a bit of bartering we ended up with a bigger car.

footie xx

Muzzman Sep 7th 2004 12:24 pm

We recently used Ace on Sandgate Road - a Ford Falcon Estate was $51 a day inc the extra insurance thingy. We had the car booked for 3 weeks and when we returned it after 3 days (bought a car) they refunded us the diffence without any hassle.

Muzzman

jaruky Sep 7th 2004 3:00 pm

Thanks you guys, given us some food for thought - not actually paid for the hire yet so will have a look around a bit more,
cheers
Jaruky