Reload this Page >

FANTASIC NZ - see for yourself pics of Taurangaand Auckland

Wikiposts

FANTASIC NZ - see for yourself pics of Taurangaand Auckland

Old Aug 28th 2003, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Yes its the Monkey himself

Thanks for posting your photos Steve, lovely to have a light hearted post for a change.
We lived in Tauranga (in Matua) and returned to the UK a year ago (don't ask), it was wonderful to see your pics of the place and brought lots of happy memories back, especially as summer seems to be at an end here now......the thought of the beaches at The Mount....aahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, very nice!!

When are you going?
Old Aug 29th 2003, 12:39 am
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thats enough photos...I'm finding it difficult as it is to concentrate on work.

Interesting though, Steve, you seem to have taken an identical treck as us, I was wondering what it looked like in winter...not half bad!

Rob

Auckland or Tauranga, Wellington Or Christchurch....any by Jan04
Old Aug 29th 2003, 1:14 am
NZ bound Jan 04

monkeyman1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Scarlett G
Thanks for posting your photos Steve, lovely to have a light hearted post for a change.
We lived in Tauranga (in Matua) and returned to the UK a year ago (don't ask), it was wonderful to see your pics of the place and brought lots of happy memories back, especially as summer seems to be at an end here now......the thought of the beaches at The Mount....aahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, very nice!!

When are you going?
Really hoping to be over there by Jan 04, havin trouble selling house though.

Steve
Old Aug 29th 2003, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by monkeyman
Really hoping to be over there by Jan 04, havin trouble selling house though.

Steve
Hi Steve,
we recently did the winter to NZ bit, I put up a few photos (snaps) too. If this was your first visit, was it what you were expecting? Only as ask 'cos although we loved it, Christchurch, Dunedin,Tauranga, Nelson etc etc, we were not expecting it to be so 'Americanised'. Any thoughts? LMS
Old Aug 29th 2003, 1:39 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sully4441
Hi Steve,
we recently did the winter to NZ bit, I put up a few photos (snaps) too. If this was your first visit, was it what you were expecting? Only as ask 'cos although we loved it, Christchurch, Dunedin,Tauranga, Nelson etc etc, we were not expecting it to be so 'Americanised'. Any thoughts? LMS
Sully,

I'm interested in what you mean by 'americanised'. Presumably you mean the crap TV and quality service culture (albeit without widespread tipping). But I personally have not spent much time in the US, so perhaps I am assuming wrong.

I have heard the view before that NZ is the country most like the UK, and that it is less American than Oz.

Any clarification of the term 'americanised' would be appreciated, so we can factor in whether that is a positive or negative feature for ourselves to consider.

Thanks...
Old Aug 29th 2003, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by southerner
Sully,

I'm interested in what you mean by 'americanised'. Presumably you mean the crap TV and quality service culture (albeit without widespread tipping). But I personally have not spent much time in the US, so perhaps I am assuming wrong.

I have heard the view before that NZ is the country most like the UK, and that it is less American than Oz.

Any clarification of the term 'americanised' would be appreciated, so we can factor in whether that is a positive or negative feature for ourselves to consider.

Thanks...
Hi Southerner,
Don't let me put any doubts in your mind as to go or not, as I've said earlier we will not be in the position to consider a move for at least 18 months or so. I spoke to plenty of people who all said the same....NZ is like the Uk only 20,25,30 (take your pick) years behind. So it was a shock, and forgive me for being naive, to find the village, town, city layouts to be so grid based and in the main lacking any soul. Nothing I read or saw prepared me for it. Don't get me wrong we loved NZ, the people we met and most things over there, but, it was a culture shock. We spent only a month travelling from south to north and in all that time still couldn't come to terms with the mix of light industry, retail units and houses in the same street, not forgetting the obligatory 10 or so used car lots. Our house was build in 1904 and I think we missed the different styles. probably why we liked Dunedin and Nelson so much, because they did appear to have some history. Too many places seemed to have a 'frontier' feel. Great big motorway stlye main road running through the town, then nothing. You always knew a new town was coming up when the speed limit dropped from 100, to 70 to 40. But what was the purpose for the town? Couldnt see any reason to some, just a place to fill up with petrol and move on. Sorry but thats what it felt like to me.
LMS

Last edited by sully4441; Aug 29th 2003 at 2:37 am.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 2:20 am
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: "I've just re read this and it doesn't appear to make much sense,..."

Doesn't to me either really....oh, and I like grid system road. Best idea to come out the US.

Rob
Old Aug 29th 2003, 3:48 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Southerner,
Don't let me put any doubts in your mind as to go or not, as I've said earlier we will not be in the position to consider a move for at least 18 months or so. I spoke to plenty of people who all said the same....NZ is like the Uk only 20,25,30 (take your pick) years behind. So it was a shock, and forgive me for being naive, to find the village, town, city layouts to be so grid based and in the main lacking any soul. Nothing I read or saw prepared me for it. Don't get me wrong we loved NZ, the people we met and most things over there, but, it was a culture shock. We spent only a month travelling from south to north and in all that time still couldn't come to terms with the mix of light industry, retail units and houses in the same street, not forgetting the obligatory 10 or so used car lots. Our house was build in 1904 and I think we missed the different styles. probably why we liked Dunedin and Nelson so much, because they did appear to have some history. Too many places seemed to have a 'frontier' feel. Great big motorway stlye main road running through the town, then nothing. You always knew a new town was coming up when the speed limit dropped from 100, to 70 to 40. But what was the purpose for the town? Couldnt see any reason to some, just a place to fill up with petrol and move on. Sorry but thats what it felt like to me.
LMS
Thanks for the info. Indeed the road system is very different, and the way towns are situated probably reflect so-called best practice 100-150 years ago rather than when the Romans were about. Can lack character I agree. Its something that won't be putting me off, but good to get your views on this.

Regards...
Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:31 pm
NZ bound Jan 04

monkeyman1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Southerner,
LMS

I cant see why people think its behind the UK it sounds negative.
I live in Devon and feel that we are about 50 years behind central england. In NZ the only differnce I can see is the fact you get a sense of community and low crime simalar to where the UK was around 30 years ago. When it comes to shops, cars, IT, service, homes and schooling they are on par with UK if not exceeding.

There are myths on this forum and stating that the Kiwi dress down are less formal is not entirly true, prior to my visit I was told there are no shirt and ties culture- wrong. I was also told fashion was terrible and stock up prior to leaving the UK - Wrong we found lots of independent fashionable clothing stores.

Cheers

Steve
Old Aug 29th 2003, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by monkeyman
I cant see why people think its behind the UK it sounds negative.
I live in Devon and feel that we are about 50 years behind central england. In NZ the only differnce I can see is the fact you get a sense of community and low crime simalar to where the UK was around 30 years ago. When it comes to shops, cars, IT, service, homes and schooling they are on par with UK if not exceeding.

There are myths on this forum and stating that the Kiwi dress down are less formal is not entirly true, prior to my visit I was told there are no shirt and ties culture- wrong. I was also told fashion was terrible and stock up prior to leaving the UK - Wrong we found lots of independent fashionable clothing stores.

Cheers

Steve
Sorry about the confusion. I meant the attitude etc, not the technology. I agree about the homes, IT etc and shopping too, although maybe the depth of choice we are used to wasn't there. But what there was, was good enough for us and a picky 14 year old who knows what's what. All I was trying to say, poorly it seems, was about the 'feel' of the place. Don't get me wrong it's a great place and lovely people, but this was my first visit and all I had to go on was what I was told - 'like England (UK) of yore' but it's not. It is significantly different. So for anyone heading out thinking it is little England, think again. These are my thoughts to add to the general discussion. No slight on anyone intended. On the substansive point of would I go, or recommend it, of course. Hope that's cleared that up