Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Familys Reaction To The News

Familys Reaction To The News

Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

HullyBullys is a jewel in the roughHullyBullys is a jewel in the roughHullyBullys is a jewel in the roughHullyBullys is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Familys Reaction To The News

Excellent advice from everyone.

Its good to hear other peoples stories
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

my lovely MIL:curse:

told my 7 year old daughter. what will happen if you move to aus and dont like it. in her words. you wont be able to come home because your house will be rented to other people and you will have no where to live if you come home.

i love that woman to bits:curse::curse::curse::curse::curse::curse:
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

HullyBullys is a jewel in the roughHullyBullys is a jewel in the roughHullyBullys is a jewel in the roughHullyBullys is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by fairwayskid

told my 7 year old daughter. what will happen if you move to aus and dont like it. in her words. you wont be able to come home because your house will be rented to other people and you will have no where to live if you come home.

aren't they sweet......

who ever said if you want to know how your partner will turn out in later life, then look and you MIL was talking complete CRAP..
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HullyBullys
aren't they sweet......

who ever said if you want to know how your partner will turn out in later life, then look and you MIL was talking complete CRAP..
jesus dont say that if she is going to turn out like that i am going for a deep deep swim
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Thank F we are moving away from our OH mums......

Debbie
Old Dec 29th 2007, 6:46 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

how could she!!
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

When we told my mum I don't think she believed us at first, then I think she thought we would get turned down as in 1993 when we applied one of our kids failed the medical. Anyway when we got the visa all she could say was 'who will take me shopping'? The fact that for the last 17 years I had taken her to the supermarket every week and my brothers did nothing obviously went against me. Now if one of them takes her they are 'wonderful' and 'so very kind'. She said she would not come and visit, well she did, stayed all of 3 weeks when she could have stayed 3 months !!!!! Can't miss us that much can she??? Anyway I still ring her and have a chat, as someone else said you have to make sure you do the right thing, sometimes people act like they do as they do genuinely miss you and just can't find the right words to say what they think.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:22 am
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

We went for tea at Marks dads last night. We got talking to a couple we had never met before and told them we were going to Australia, they were really interested and said they dont blame us. They said to Marks bro about visiting us for a holiday and he said he wouldnt be coming. I just said well sod you then and said to this couple that we hadnt had any support over what we were doing. Funnily enough his brother didnt speak to me again last night. not that he did much anyway. When we got home last night, I said to Mark that we know that he wont be visiting, Mark just said well he doesnt come here anyway, we live about 9 miles away from him.:curse:

Joexx
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:02 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

its funny how even after you've gone - for nearly 4 years in our case - family and friends still ask the question "when are you looking at coming back"?

we've had to reiterate fairly often .... we emigrated, left, tada, bye bye.

I think recently was the first time my mum actually took this in, saw how happy we are here, and actually really relaxed and just totally enjoyed their time here rather than getting uptight about leaving the grandkids again.

Its all about maximising the time we have together, I can't be bothered to have 4 weeks a year with someone and spend half that time upset or grouchy - heres the decision, heres where we live, come stay and be happy or don't bother - people show their true colours when big events like emigration happen - Luckily my folks are in the former group and are very happy for us now although for sure are shocked that we didnt return home ..... I BET they thought we would return before now
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:18 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I have found that just when you think that the news has sunk in with everyone, you say something and their response demonstrates that it clearly hasn't.

I told my sister two weeks ago that Mr PP and I will try for a baby in Feb 08 and she was horrified. 'So you are telling me that you would have a baby in Australia and we wont get to see it'

I explained that we had been planning this for 4 years now and that I thought she had realised we were going. She really thought that if we were to have a baby then we would come back to the UK to live.

I mean, it might not even happen (the baby) and if it does - great and if it doesnt then thats how its meant to be but isnt it amazing how people think you are going on an extended holiday.

It makes me wonder how many people in Oz who have perhaps split from their partners for whatever reason and if their families back in the UK have demanded that they return 'home'.

As I said, just when you think they have 'got it', they clearly haven't.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Dec 30th 2007 at 12:28 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 2:00 pm
markj

painter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nice

To tell you the truth i dont think anyone in my family will notice.
No one real bothers with one another,sad really but can't see any sudden change.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

nicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant future

My family think i have grown 2 heads since i announced we were emigrating Just this last couple of weeks they have maybe begun to realise that its for real We just dont get invites to places anymore. Its like weve gone already Oooh we are soooo bad!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 1st 2008, 3:24 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

My Oh's mum told him that he was 'cutting his bloodties'
HER first response was "what about my grandchildren"......we live 5 mins away and we see them about 1/2 times a month and only because we go to their house, they like to see their grandchildren but only when it suits them, i mean they have looked after the children twice this year.....so how can she expect us to consider her???????????:curse:

Good job we don't give a sh*t!!!!