Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family trees & tracing them.

Family trees & tracing them.

Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:32 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Family trees & tracing them.

Does anyone know the web site where you can search for your family tree? I know some time back in the UK a site was opened by the government I think it was to help search your family trees. Have seen lots of people advertising that they can do it for you but would like to give it a go myself and of course save the money.
I would like to do it for my Mum as she keeps going on about aunts, uncles, grans etc. Have always wanted to do it for myself too. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you go on the GO MATILDA site , they have a "trace your family "section.. very useful . I found someone just yesterday..

good luck

booboo
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Oxfordshire, to the Out Laws in Bucks, to Cleveland in Brisbane
josiejo1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Family trees & tracing them.

Have a look at www.genesreconnected.co.uk or .com can't remember which way round it is.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:39 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by nicholls clan
Does anyone know the web site where you can search for your family tree? I know some time back in the UK a site was opened by the government I think it was to help search your family trees. Have seen lots of people advertising that they can do it for you but would like to give it a go myself and of course save the money.
I would like to do it for my Mum as she keeps going on about aunts, uncles, grans etc. Have always wanted to do it for myself too. Any help would be appreciated.
My mum is REALLY keen on genaeology, and has traced our family back to the 1400's.

She does'nt know of a link that actually does if for you...she says its just hours and hours of hard (but interesting) work

The link you want is www.pro.gov.uk , and more specifically the familiy records link at the top of that page.

On a similar note....we found that we have relations in oz!! VERY distant, but that line of my family is still out there. One of them is quite well known in oz, hes on the news occasionally......albeit for a pretty controvertial thing Hes the mine manager for the Olympic dam uranium mine in SA !! Coincidence eh...i am a geologist !!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:02 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by PeteY
My mum is REALLY keen on genaeology, and has traced our family back to the 1400's.

She does'nt know of a link that actually does if for you...she says its just hours and hours of hard (but interesting) work

The link you want is www.pro.gov.uk , and more specifically the familiy records link at the top of that page.

On a similar note....we found that we have relations in oz!! VERY distant, but that line of my family is still out there. One of them is quite well known in oz, hes on the news occasionally......albeit for a pretty controvertial thing Hes the mine manager for the Olympic dam uranium mine in SA !! Coincidence eh...i am a geologist !!

Good web site think that is the one I read about. I too have family in Oz, my Fathers Brother was a £10 pom years ago and never told his family he had family in the UK. Made out he was an orphan. The family in the UK tracked him down a few years ago only to find he died but that we have cousins and aunts etc in Oz.
met some of the cousins when I was there last and it was so spooky the way we all had the same features but also the same habits and traits. Genes eh funny things in all of us.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough
Default Family tree

I have been running a small business as a Scottish Ancestral Researcher for the past year. There are a huge amount of online sites which offer information but most will only (after a great deal of searching) provide an index of names with very little proof that you have the correct information, and how else are you going to check it. I would be more than happy to point you in the right direction with your particular search if youd like to PM me some details.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:52 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

My dads cousin is doing our family tree. The cousin lives in Canada and I didn't even know my dad had a cousin in canada!?
It turns out that somewhere down the line we shared the great great grandfather of David and Richard Attenborough. Honest!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY

Thanks for that link Pete - I used it for access to the 1901 census - http://www.census.pro.gov.uk/index.html getting quite into this family tree stuff now! Any more links? Does anyone know if it's worth using the genes connected site? (You need to pay a fee for detailed access)
Larissa
Old Oct 30th 2003, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

My Dad bought a program for the computer which was called Family Tree, it organises all of the info for you and you get a fantastic print out of the tree at the end.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 6:02 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Boy Larissa, how many websites do you want? LOL

PRO one is very good, here are a few more, some overlapping occurs but its worth checking all sources.

IGI online - the mormons database of worldwide BDM

Genuki - UK genealogy

Rootsweb - free BDM search

Genealogy Helplist - a list of volunteers who will do specific searches for you (if you ask nicely )

Cindis list - a HUGE list of links for all sorts of genealogy research

And for those Aussies amongst us ....

NSW online BDM database

Online sourcing of Australian passenger lists

That should keep you busy for a while, good luck

I tried to stay out of this thread for as long as I could, honest I did!!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Boy Larissa, how many websites do you want? LOL

PRO one is very good, here are a few more, some overlapping occurs but its worth checking all sources.

IGI online - the mormons database of worldwide BDM

Genuki - UK genealogy

Rootsweb - free BDM search

Genealogy Helplist - a list of volunteers who will do specific searches for you (if you ask nicely )

Cindis list - a HUGE list of links for all sorts of genealogy research

And for those Aussies amongst us ....

NSW online BDM database

Online sourcing of Australian passenger lists

That should keep you busy for a while, good luck

I tried to stay out of this thread for as long as I could, honest I did!!
Thankyou! I've considered tracing our family tree for some time now and have finally decided to get on with it!!!!
Larissa
(It's just that it seems like one of those things you could get really ripped off doing!)
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hey this is great. I have been searchng all evening. Any more tips?
Old Oct 30th 2003, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

There are loads of alt.genealogy newsgroups
Old Nov 1st 2003, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

I made a start doing my family tree with a software package but got stuck at the first hurdle. My mum and dad have both remarried, and I have step-siblings as well as half-siblings. My step-dad has also remarried and has a son. The software couldn't cope with this! You can imagine how complicated the family details bit was on my visa application form. A second cousin of mine traced our family ancestry back to Charles Darwin, also I believe I am related to one of the Great Train Robbers!

On a similar note, there was some research done which proved that we are all related/linked more closely than we realise. You hear the saying "it's a small world" often enough. A group of people were given a package which had to be delivered to a certain person, someone they didn't know, but the package couldn't just be posted, they had to send it on to a friend or relative who they thought might know or be connected with the intended recipient. That friend/relative then had to pass it on and so on until the package reached its destination (on the either side of America from where it started). The researchers discovered that on average, the package only passed through six pairs of hands, ie a relatively small number of people were able to get it to its destination, just by using the right contacts.
Old Nov 1st 2003, 3:07 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Debsy, I have heaps of links etc, but short of posting them all (which would take forever LOL), if you need a hand with something particular Im more than willing to try to help to find a site or database that might have the info you need. Scott is obviously alot more experienced than me at this, he may be able to help as well . As Gordon pointed out, there are also a HEAP of newsgroups & mailing lists etc that you can join, but my advice is to wait until you have something specific that you need a hand with, rather than being inundated with 1000 emails about someone or something thats not relative.

Jacqui, a good software package should be able to handle that situation, but even if yours cant, thats only the current generation. Try putting all that info down on a paper info sheet, like a family group record sheet, OR use an online html version of a FGS or a Pedigree Line like this one, a HTML version for both . Dont let it put you off even starting, if you really are confused by it all, start with your parents & work backwards from there & leave the current generation until a later date when you have more confidence & are more experienced at it. After all, its not something that you do in a day or a week, its an ongoing thing, Ive been working on mine for years !

The 6 pair of hands thing is called the 6 degrees of separation. According to research (as Jacqui has pointed out) everyone knows everyone else by not more than 6 degrees of separation. Quite when you think about it

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Nov 1st 2003 at 3:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.