Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family tax benefit

Family tax benefit

Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Family tax benefit

Hi All

I dont want to get slated for this (as i have seen in past threads) as I am not just moving to Oz with the hope of getting benefits - otherwise everyone would stay in the UK but i am trying to work out monthly incomings and outgoings so i want to factor this into the equation. I cannot find the info anywhere on the net or even a ftb calculator that works so i would be grateful if someone in a similar situation could give me a rough figure When we last lived in Oz 4 years ago I got roughly $40 per week for 2 children, 2 of us working, this time it will be just my husband working intitally, hopefully earning $85000/yr, we now have 3 children under 7. Any ideas on what our ftb would be please, no negative comments required thanks.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:27 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Family tax benefit

Estimated Family Assistance payment $301.84 per fortnight

Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Estimated Family Assistance payment $301.84 per fortnight
Many thanks
Old May 10th 2010, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

are these means tested against any savings you have or is it purely on income?

I've heard there is a rent assistance too, is that right?

Last edited by MrCro; May 10th 2010 at 11:30 pm.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:02 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MrCro

usually only income
Look at http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx

Oh - depending on your type of visa you have you may not be eligible for centrelink payments for a number of years.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mark213
usually only income
Look at http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx

Oh - depending on your type of visa you have you may not be eligible for centrelink payments for a number of years.
I know there's a 2 year wait before claiming things but how does that work if you have been in and out of Oz?

When I first got PR was 1991, left for years. I was last in Oz 2005-2006 and heading back again later this year.

Does the 2 year rule apply each entry?
Old May 11th 2010, 9:38 am
ABCDiamond

I know there's a 2 year wait before claiming things but how does that work if you have been in and out of Oz?

When I first got PR was 1991, left for years. I was last in Oz 2005-2006 and heading back again later this year.

Does the 2 year rule apply each entry?
The 2 year rule does not apply to FTB, or rent assistance if you get FTB.

For people having left and returning again, the 2 years that you were here originally covers you this time... BUT.... you will be assessed to ensure you are going to be here permanently. If they think you are just back for a years holiday, and claiming the dole, you will be rejected for the claim

Old May 11th 2010, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The 2 year rule does not apply to FTB, or rent assistance if you get FTB.

For people having left and returning again, the 2 years that you were here originally covers you this time... BUT.... you will be assessed to ensure you are going to be here permanently. If they think you are just back for a years holiday, and claiming the dole, you will be rejected for the claim
would only be FTB, don't think the dole would pay anything as we have money in the bank (not sure how much you have to have to affect payments?)

Never claimed dole in my life anyway and hopefully never will have to!

The FTB will be a help when we first arrive until I set up my business as OH won't be working she'll be looking after the baby for first 12 months.

Old May 12th 2010, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Any interest you get on your savings will also be taken into account as well as any overseas income etc but not your actual savings as far as I'm aware. When asked your income, this means any interest from savings too. Be careful about underestimating your annual income when applying otherwise at the end of year if you have earned more (through paid income or interest on savings)

The FTB website is very useful, you can even do a quick calculation without registering online:

https://secure.centrelink.gov.au/Rat...OriginName=FAO

Sam

Last edited by Sammy T; May 12th 2010 at 7:51 am.
Old May 12th 2010, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

chequer is on a distinguished road

We applied for FTB and Rent Assistance within the first couple of weeks of arriving in Australia when only one of us was working. We ended up with about $500 a fortnight.

We rang and asked them to stop it when I started work and will have to see how the assessment turns out at the end of the tax year. I'm hoping it will be in our favour and we'll get a lump sum. If not, we'll have to find some money to pay back....
Old May 12th 2010, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chequer
We applied for FTB and Rent Assistance within the first couple of weeks of arriving in Australia when only one of us was working. We ended up with about $500 a fortnight.

We rang and asked them to stop it when I started work and will have to see how the assessment turns out at the end of the tax year. I'm hoping it will be in our favour and we'll get a lump sum. If not, we'll have to find some money to pay back....
interesting, do you mind me asking how much rent you were paying to get that and how many children?

I believe we'll get $398 a fortnight baby bonus too for 6 months.

Last edited by MrCro; May 12th 2010 at 7:08 pm.