Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family payments from Centrelink

Family payments from Centrelink

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 6:38 am
tommy2003

Question Family payments from Centrelink

Hi,

I have a family with 3 children, all under 5 years of age.Could anyone please tell me what are the payments iam entitled from Centrelink.I know know there is a 2 year waiting period ,but does this also apply to recently migrated families.

Tommy

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice
Default Re: Family payments from Centrelink

Originally Posted by tommy2003
Hi,

I have a family with 3 children, all under 5 years of age.Could anyone please tell me what are the payments iam entitled from Centrelink.I know know there is a 2 year waiting period ,but does this also apply to recently migrated families.

Tommy
hi there

Although I can't quote you a figure, you don't have to wait 2 years to claim Family Tax Benefit (family allowance). You are also entitled to some childcare (I think!), but as with the UK's benefit agency, it is all highly confusing and I'm pretty certain that Centrelink staff are as equally confused as you or I!! Anyway, try this link...and see if it makes any sense!! You may even get a concession card, depending on your wages etc.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...timate_fao.htm

Good luck!!

love sophia xx
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 6:54 am
Just Joined

pphillips is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

You don't have to wait 2 years for child benefits, the 2 year waiting period is for things like claiming dole money etc.

I have a 4 son (Born in the UK) and a 3 month old baby (born here in Australia) and are able to claim for our 4 year son straight away.

You should get around $112 every two weeks for one son, for two children we get $199.00 Also if you take you children to pre-school and both of you are working/looking for work, you should get at least $35.00 per day of pre-school fees (around $100.00 per day).

Hope this helps

Paul.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 7:34 am
tommy2003

Originally Posted by pphillips
Hi

You don't have to wait 2 years for child benefits, the 2 year waiting period is for things like claiming dole money etc.

I have a 4 son (Born in the UK) and a 3 month old baby (born here in Australia) and are able to claim for our 4 year son straight away.

You should get around $112 every two weeks for one son, for two children we get $199.00 Also if you take you children to pre-school and both of you are working/looking for work, you should get at least $35.00 per day of pre-school fees (around $100.00 per day).

Hope this helps

Paul.

paul,

r u getting $199 as the child care benefit or is it for family tax benefit.Iam confused between the two.Please can you comment on this.

tommy

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 7:38 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Go here:
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ices/index.htm
Click on the Estimate Family assistance link (Under Family Assistance)
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:55 am
tommy2003

Originally Posted by Peter
Go here:
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ices/index.htm
Click on the Estimate Family assistance link (Under Family Assistance)

Thanks for the link Peter.

Iam confused about whether iam entitled to child care benefit.My wife does not work and will look after the kids at home, can i get the benefit or is it that i can get only when i use approved child care services.

Tommy

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 9:15 am
o_0

Originally Posted by tommy2003
Thanks for the link Peter.

Iam confused about whether iam entitled to child care benefit.My wife does not work and will look after the kids at home, can i get the benefit or is it that i can get only when i use approved child care services.

Tommy
Child care at a child care centre I believe. It's a subsidy per se, not a payment. It's to offset the cost of child care. It is means tested.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

What I am saying we get $199 every two weeks paid directly into our bank accounts.

This is based on a combined income of your family, this payment is for our 4 year old and 3 month old baby.

We also get % off our pre-school which is 45% off (around $33.00 per day) so instead of paying $100 dollers per day for our 4 year old to goto pre-school we only pay $67.00 per day.

As Peter states, it is means tested.

Paul.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 11:15 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

What I am saying we get $199 every two weeks paid directly into our bank accounts.

This is based on a combined income of your family, this payment is for our 4 year old and 3 month old baby.

We also get % off our pre-school which is 45% off (around $33.00 per day) so instead of paying $100 dollers per day for our 4 year old to goto pre-school we only pay $67.00 per day.

As Peter states, it is means tested.

Paul.

Hi Paul,
I thought child care was suppossed to be cheaper in Oz than the Uk!!!
I pay about £27.00 per day for a private nursery (I don't get help with child care costs) and you say in Oz it costs about $100 per day which is roughly £40.00 per day. Even at $67.00 per day thats still roughly £27.00 per day and thats only if you're entitled to help with child care!
And wages are comparatively slightly lower in Oz, so it works out even more expensive again!!
God, I'll be working for nothing when we get over there!!!
Shelley
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 11:56 pm
o_0

Originally Posted by shecha
Hi Paul,
I pay about £27.00 per day for a private nursery (I don't get help with child care costs) and you say in Oz it costs about $100 per day which is roughly £40.00 per day. Even at $67.00 per day thats still roughly £27.00 per day and thats only if you're entitled to help with child care!
And wages are comparatively slightly lower in Oz, so it works out even more expensive again!!
Shelley
So, why go over there then?
Old Aug 24th 2004, 1:12 am
Just Joined

I had the same problem as you before I came to Australia.

OK, following me:

An I.T Developer in the UK earns around 37,500K Gross, the same role will be around $72,500 K per year.

Net income for UK: 27,379.20 Pounds Per Year (Tax Ded %=26.98)
Net income for OZ: $51,272 Per Year (Tax Ded %=29.28)

Week Wage:

UK: 526.52
OZ: 986.00
Pre School Fee % of Wages

UK: 27.00 per day %= 0.05
OZ: 67.00 per day % =0.06 or 100.00 = 0.10

So based on the above, yes it's not cheaper.

You also have to pay doctor fees Around $40.00 (50% gets rebated back to you via the Gov), food costs us around $400-500 dollers per month (based two adults, two young kids), petrol is around $1.00 to $1.10 per litre, from Richmond to the City costs me $161 per month.

For each new baby born in OZ you will get $3000 plus a few hundred dollers here and there.

My car (4 Litre 6 Cylnder Ford Falcon two years old) cost me $23,000 , you do not need insurance though but I have insurance, fully comp $500.00, includes my wife, car tax (includes building insurance) $670.

Hope the above helps

Paul

P.S

I would not worry about it to much, I tried to compare prices while I was in the UK and I was told it is to hard to work it out.

I have been here nearly two years and the cost of living is about the same, some things are cheaper and others are not but combine these together and the cost of living is a little bit cheaper.

Originally Posted by shecha
Hi Paul,
Shelley
Old Aug 24th 2004, 1:38 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

you do not need insurance though but I have insurance, fully comp $500.00, includes my wife, car tax (includes building insurance) $670.

I'm curious....why do you think you dont need insurance?
Old Aug 24th 2004, 2:05 am
Just Joined

Cool Re: Family payments from Centrelink

Once you pay car tax $370.. and Building insurance $300 or so ($670 or so for car tax per year) you can driver the car without any insurance.

If you hit a building or a person, insurance that you got with your tax would cover it BUT if you hit another car then they other person can take them to court you unless you agree to pay for the damage.

Like wise, if someone does not have insurance and they hit you, you have to take them to court unless they pay for the damage.

Paul.

Originally Posted by Hels
I'm curious....why do you think you dont need insurance?
Old Aug 24th 2004, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I have 2 kids in child care (child care centre for 3 days + 2 days family day care). My wife and I are both working. we are entitled to $0 assistance from the government, so nothing coming in there. Total cost p.a = c$26,500. So not cheap.

things to point out:

in my memory child benefit in the UK is not means tested - it is here.

The above scenario where you compared cost relating to income less tax is fair enough, but surely some of the ancilliary costings you then go to list as being an expense in Aus are things which in the UK are theoretically paid for out of your National Insurance contributions...which you didn't list as a cost.

So could you please re-submit the scenraio and factor in NI...which we don;t have here in Aus. That'll give a more accurate reading I think.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 3:32 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichS
I have 2 kids in child care (child care centre for 3 days + 2 days family day care). My wife and I are both working. we are entitled to $0 assistance from the government, so nothing coming in there. Total cost p.a = c$26,500. So not cheap.

things to point out:

in my memory child benefit in the UK is not means tested - it is here.

The above scenario where you compared cost relating to income less tax is fair enough, but surely some of the ancilliary costings you then go to list as being an expense in Aus are things which in the UK are theoretically paid for out of your National Insurance contributions...which you didn't list as a cost.

So could you please re-submit the scenraio and factor in NI...which we don;t have here in Aus. That'll give a more accurate reading I think.
I am a bit confused RichS - the NI has been taken off already to leave the Net UK salary so where I am confused is why he has to take the approx 3K of NI contributions off - is this so the % income calculation that is shown at 27 pounds per day divided by the weekly net should now be calculated against a weekly income of approx 576 further lowering the cost of child care to around 4.5% in this example. And then the NI contributions of approximately 3K could be directly attributed to off setting the cost of Doctors and other direct fees you have in Aus?

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.