Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family moving to Brisbane - worried about the cost of living

Family moving to Brisbane - worried about the cost of living

Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:43 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family moving to Brisbane - worried about the cost of living

Originally Posted by Kim67
Dosen't anyone use the school dental clinic for their kids? I do. It's free until they're 15 (in WA and QLD that's the case anyway).
Our boys only had one appointment in the years they were at school.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Our boys only had one appointment in the years they were at school.
You can make the appointments yourself and then keep up a treatment plan if they need it.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

ldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud of

I earn $85k a year currently, when I arrived was on $70k and that was our only income. We were fine no money fro savings or holidays but you can survive well enough on $80k thats for sure.

My wife now works and she's on $80k though once you take child care out ($140 per day) we don't get much from that, still we manage to save $2k a month towards buying a house.

We pay out:
$1890 per 4 weeks rent
$600 per month on groceries for a family of 4 with 2 cats.
$200 petrol
$400 public transport for both of us to CBD
$69 phone and internet
$30 mobile phone plans
$100 electric ($300 per quarter)
$10 water ($30 per quarter)

so that would be $3189 with an income of $4980 for me plus wife gets $4600 or there abouts.

Just like others said you need to live with in your means just like the UK, in the UK we lived on my salary of 30kGBP and were fine.

In terms of cost of living we find it cheaper than the UK others will try to scare you with stories of $300 per week grocery bills, as long as you budget and be realistic about what your income provides you will be fine.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldticp
I earn $85k a year currently, when I arrived was on $70k and that was our only income. We were fine no money fro savings or holidays but you can survive well enough on $80k thats for sure.

My wife now works and she's on $80k though once you take child care out ($140 per day) we don't get much from that, still we manage to save $2k a month towards buying a house.

We pay out:
$1890 per 4 weeks rent
$200 petrol
$69 phone and internet
$30 mobile phone plans

so that would be $3189 with an income of $4980 for me plus wife gets $4600 or there abouts.

Just like others said you need to live with in your means just like the UK, in the UK we lived on my salary of 30kGBP and were fine.

In terms of cost of living we find it cheaper than the UK others will try to scare you with stories of $300 per week grocery bills, as long as you budget and be realistic about what your income provides you will be fine.

Good realistic post.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:10 pm
Vendor - Removals Expert

CarolineJM is a glorious beacon of lightCarolineJM is a glorious beacon of lightCarolineJM is a glorious beacon of lightCarolineJM is a glorious beacon of lightCarolineJM is a glorious beacon of lightCarolineJM is a glorious beacon of lightCarolineJM is a glorious beacon of lightCarolineJM is a glorious beacon of lightCarolineJM is a glorious beacon of lightCarolineJM is a glorious beacon of lightCarolineJM is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Lou n Rob, this website might help with comparing the cost of living in different countries: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ldticp

We pay out:
$1890 per 4 weeks rent
$200 petrol
$69 phone and internet
$30 mobile phone plans

spot on
Old Nov 7th 2013, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou n rob
Hi, my husband has got a one year teaching contract at a secondary school in Brisbane. His salary is $82,000. I will be looking for work when we arrive. I am a special needs teacher and hope to gain relief work at least! We have 2 young children. After reading many posts on here, some stating you need huge salaries to survive, I have become worried.
We have our e 457 visa and we will be arriving probably 26th December. Looking at short term accommodation rentals, everything just seems so expensive, is this because its the holiday season?

I was wondering if there is any advice, if other people have managed to survive on a teachers salary?

Any advice on suburbs that are reasonably priced but good for kids etc.

Thank you in advance.
Hi good luck with your move. Have you checked if you can actually work in Aus (as a Teacher) or have you both a 457 visa? All the best, a sunny Christmas for you all