family move

Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

summersnanny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default family move

hello are there any other grandparents who have family moving to oz who feel gutted like i do
Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:54 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: family move

Originally posted by summersnanny
hello are there any other grandparents who have family moving to oz who feel gutted like i do

awww ((((((((((((((summersnanny))))))))))))))) theres email, webcams fones, txts, postcards and planes !! its not as if you cant keep in touch all the best steve
Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Graham & Kath is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeh my Mum and Dad were so gutted, their trying to come out as well - hopefully on a retirement visa they've just put in for it...

I hope you are not too distraught, after all your son/daughter must be feeling as guilty as hell, its just as bad to them in some respects and they are leaving you and starting a new life.

Its very difficult to not be upset as its soo hard to put into words..they want to do something different but probably feel guilty leaving you behind.

I know if my parents dont get out there Im gonna really be upset and sad as they are both in their 70's and my Dad wont fly out to see us, but they keep saying they've lived their lives and we gotta live ours, but its still very hard cutting the apron strings!!

If you can keep talking about it, its much better than bottling it up inside, Im lucky as my parents discuss it all the time and that does help (mind you I dont know how I'll feel if we go without them), I will certainly feel like Ive deserted them....

Hope that helps a little

Kath
Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all
Default Re: family move

Well I am not a grand parent but I guess it doesnt matter what relation you have to people. it is still hard.
My sister moved to Oz 10 years ago and I was only 19 and I thought I would never see her again- I was always skint and thought I would never raise the air fare- Well I got there eventually !!
Distance is a hard thing to cope with but of all my siblings ( I have many ! ) my sister is the person I feel closest to even though she is the furthest away geographically.
As others have said there are many ways to keep in touch these days and think of all the cheap holidays you can have staying with them in future !!

natty
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

summersnanny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default thanks

thank you for your replys it makes me feel much better to hear from you my son his wife and darling granddaughter are leaving for perth on thur 12 feb we will miss them so much but please god we will be going out to see them at christmas my son has taught me how to email so i can keep in touch with them
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:22 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: thanks

Originally posted by summersnanny
thank you for your replys it makes me feel much better to hear from you my son his wife and darling granddaughter are leaving for perth on thur 12 feb we will miss them so much but please god we will be going out to see them at christmas my son has taught me how to email so i can keep in touch with them
I find I speak to my parents more now than when they were 10 mins walk away. My gran thinks she is on e-mail because mum prints out the messages and drives down to the home with them.

It is a bit wrenching and a lot of migrations fail because of the family element.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Dear Summersnanny

We emigrated to Perth last April & my parents too were gutted. They found it hard to talk about so said very little. My children (me too at times) thought because they didn't talk to us about it they weren't really bothered. This wasn't the case at all they just couldn't face it really. Some other relations were against us going & made our lives miserable whenever we talked to them which didn't help at all. What I'm trying to say I suppose is let them know how much you care & will miss them, but be supportive and try & help too. Look forward to that first visit & focus on that.

My parents after saying they didn't know if they'd ever visit are going to be our first visitors at the beginning of March. My daughter especially is so excited & has been planning all the things she wants to show them & do with them.

Looking at it from a parent's perspective though I can see how hard it is for you, be strong. Make sure you've got lots of treats for you lined up for when they've gone. It really is easier to keep in touch these days with cheaper phone call, e-mails, webcams as well as good old fashioned snail mail. When we left my parents in law bought us all a combined Christmas/birthday present of a digital camera so we try & ensure we send regular pictures back so they can visualise where we are and see the kids.

Loopy
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Hello -

Hopefully when you come at Christmas (which isn't that far away) - you will see for yourself the great life your son & his family are having. It will not make you miss them any less but it will be of comfort.

I wish my mum would use a computer, we rely on the phone and photos through the post (copious amounts of them along with pictures etc that this kids have done for her and videos too which she loves).

Try and make it as bearable as possible for you all, it will hopefully get easier.

Best Wishes
Diane
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:42 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ

I wish my mum would use a computer, we rely on the phone and photos through the post (copious amounts of them along with pictures etc that this kids have done for her and videos too which she loves).

Diane

Did you send Oz video tapes and do they work on UK machines? We are sending one out now but don't know if it will work or not?
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

No we used old Uk (tight arse) ones but have used Oz ones when we have been here on holiday and used my brothers Video recorder and when they sent over wedding videos etc.

So you should have no worries.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:49 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
Diane

Did you send Oz video tapes and do they work on UK machines? We are sending one out now but don't know if it will work or not?
Both video systems are the same (PAL). It is the tuner in the videos and Tvs that are different.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:13 pm
Gary / Terri

Gary / Terri is on a distinguished road

Summersnanny
I agree with timber floor but nothing beats the real thing of in person does it, anyway we are the other way round, my parents kids grandparents went to live in Aus 2 years ago and they were 72, we are now trying to join them, get yourself a visa and surprise them!!!!!!!!!