Reload this Page >

Family Life in Sydney

Wikiposts

Family Life in Sydney

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 6:28 am
Just Joined

BECK40 will become famous soon enough
Question Family Life in Sydney

Hello! Hope someone can help us. We have just begun organising our move to Sydney - due to arrive in January. My husband will be working in the Central Business District and we are wondering where the best place to start looking for somewhere to rent / live would be. We want to be in an area that is within 20 mins travel time of CBD, is a vibrant but safe area and that is popular with families. Ideally we would like to be near the coast, but otherwise near to some open space/park etc. ideally we would like to rent a house - would a budget of $750/wk get us somewhere decent?

Our 3 year old is of nursery age and we hope to get her into a good nursery soon after we arrive - how do we find out which nurseries are good, but without monster waiting lists?

Loads more questions, but will leave it at that for now! Thanks.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:05 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Family Life in Sydney

Hi

We are relocating to Sydney in 2 weeks time and have been there several times looking in similar areas to what you are looking for.
We dont have children so cant help with nursery info, but i would imagine you be interested in Bondi and a few of the other suburbs along that stretch of coast.
Here is a link to rentals near that area in your price range. Do not discount some of the garden apartments. They can be huge and just as nice as a house.

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Sear...operty%20Types

Good luck!!
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

cammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the rough

Hi
We are also arriving in Sydney in late January.
I have three children, 7, 5 and Rory who is two. My job is in N.Sydney and we are looking at the family are around Northern beaches. This would increase your travel, but may be worth researching.

We havetried the following web sites that may help with accomodation costs.
www.property.com.au
www.justlisted.com.au

On another note where are you staying when you arrive and before you get a rental? and who are you flying with?

Take Care and good luck

Cameron

Originally Posted by BECK40
Hello! Hope someone can help us. We have just begun organising our move to Sydney - due to arrive in January. My husband will be working in the Central Business District and we are wondering where the best place to start looking for somewhere to rent / live would be. We want to be in an area that is within 20 mins travel time of CBD, is a vibrant but safe area and that is popular with families. Ideally we would like to be near the coast, but otherwise near to some open space/park etc. ideally we would like to rent a house - would a budget of $750/wk get us somewhere decent?

Our 3 year old is of nursery age and we hope to get her into a good nursery soon after we arrive - how do we find out which nurseries are good, but without monster waiting lists?

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Hi Cameron
Thanks for your reply. Very early days yet. I think the company sponsoring my husband is putting us in serviced accommodation for two weeks to give us time to get our OZ legs and to find our way around. We haven't booked flights yet - any suggestions? we thought we'd wait until after January to try and get a cheaper deal - what do you think?

Beck

Originally Posted by cammym
Hi
We are also arriving in Sydney in late January.
I have three children, 7, 5 and Rory who is two. My job is in N.Sydney and we are looking at the family are around Northern beaches. This would increase your travel, but may be worth researching.

We havetried the following web sites that may help with accomodation costs.
www.property.com.au
www.justlisted.com.au

On another note where are you staying when you arrive and before you get a rental? and who are you flying with?

Take Care and good luck

Cameron
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:18 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

These just may help you in finding nursery/kindergaretn/pre-school places
www.childcare.com.au
www.sydneyschild.com.au
www.careforkids.com.au
www.schools.nsw.edu.au

Good luck
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 6:20 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

If your looking at working in the CBD I would look at travelling by Train even though the service isnt great but at least your not stuck in the traffic jams heading into the city.

$750 is a pretty high price for a rental so you could get something really nice. The inner harbour is the most expensive (mosman/double bay/neutral bay), also depends if your looking for a unit or a town house.

Checkout the North shore or around middle harbour which are the best areas.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

debilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant future

Hi Cameron
Thanks for your reply. Very early days yet. I think the company sponsoring my husband is putting us in serviced accommodation for two weeks to give us time to get our OZ legs and to find our way around. We haven't booked flights yet - any suggestions? we thought we'd wait until after January to try and get a cheaper deal - what do you think?

Beck
We are also going to Sydney in January - we fly with Singapore Airlines on 2nd January. I wouldn't wait too long for the flights though as they are already pretty booked up when I booked a few weeks ago. They don't go down after peak until 16th January so if you can wait until then I would.

We are arriving on the 6th (spending a few nights in Singapore) as I want to get a rented place before the kids start school.

debs
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

smallbeagle is an unknown quantity at this point

We are hoping to get there in January too. Will be there with 2 kids, 4.5 and 2. Can't help but in the same boat, still searching for somewhere to live, school and nursery for kids.

Someone mentioned that deciding what kind of lifestyle you want when you get there will determine where you will live and I think that it a very good advice!! I am a bit more relaxed now...(was panicking last week!!!)

Good Luck... don't know we might all end up in the same area??!!
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

debilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by smallbeagle
We are hoping to get there in January too. Will be there with 2 kids, 4.5 and 2. Can't help but in the same boat, still searching for somewhere to live, school and nursery for kids.

Someone mentioned that deciding what kind of lifestyle you want when you get there will determine where you will live and I think that it a very good advice!! I am a bit more relaxed now...(was panicking last week!!!)

Good Luck... don't know we might all end up in the same area??!!
I can feel a Sydney meet for newbies coming on at the end of Jan - how exciting to be all going out to the same place together at the same time
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your ideas. Feels much better to know that it's not just us trying to sort out for January. We'd love to get together with other newies on the other side - or maybe here before we go?
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:45 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont forget that the 26th is Australia Day (Bank Holiday).
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

smallbeagle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cameron

Beck

Where is your serviced apartment? Or rather which company is it with? Just posted a thread on temporary accomodation as well. Don't know how long it will take to find somewhere.

Also, where will hubby's work be?
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we are going to Sydney hopefully in the middle of next year, I have a 5 year old and a 21 month old. We are looking at Lane Cove which is about 6km from the CBD but will probably take my husband around 45 minutes door to door, we have friends who are in Mosman who say that their commute takes around that time as well. $750 will get you a nice family house in one of the good suburbs. We would definitely be up for a "meet" when we get there.

Good Luck!
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:26 pm
In The Sunshiiiiinnnnnne

Comer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ginaf
Hi, we are going to Sydney hopefully in the middle of next year, I have a 5 year old and a 21 month old. We are looking at Lane Cove which is about 6km from the CBD
You don't want to live in this block in Lane Cove

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...823320286.html
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Comer
You don't want to live in this block in Lane Cove

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...823320286.html
I know I had seen that! We will really look into it carefully, but Lane Cove seems to be a good place to find a house that we can knock down and rebuild on fairly generous plot sizes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.