Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family Holiday in Scarborough (Perth)

Family Holiday in Scarborough (Perth)

Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light
Default Family Holiday in Scarborough (Perth)

My partner and our 2 kids (aged 9 + 13) are considering spending 7 nights in Scarborough in April next year

On the face of it it seems to offer us what we want i.e a beachy type holiday, as well as being within decent travelling distance to other areas of interest eg Perth CBD, Hillarys, Freemantle etc

Has anybody stayed here or does anybody live here who can give us some useful advice as to whether it would be suitable for us

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

BD
Old Sep 5th 2005, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Family Holiday in Scarborough (Perth)

Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler
My partner and our 2 kids (aged 9 + 13) are considering spending 7 nights in Scarborough in April next year

On the face of it it seems to offer us what we want i.e a beachy type holiday, as well as being within decent travelling distance to other areas of interest eg Perth CBD, Hillarys, Freemantle etc

Has anybody stayed here or does anybody live here who can give us some useful advice as to whether it would be suitable for us

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

BD
My husband and I and 10 year old daughter stayed there for three nights last Feb. The hotel was fab. The pool area was fantastic and the beach was lovely. There was a few restraunts and pubs about and travel distance to all the areas you mention is fine in a car, we drove to all of them. We were able to hire bikes out and cycled to city beach as well. i intend on staying there again for a few days when we go back. it's not mad busy but that was fine.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:19 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to throw in an alternative view. It's not the place that I would choose for a holiday. Been here for a month now - it isn't bad - there are just better places. I think it's a bit rough at night (sat. morning broken bottles along sides of roads). The beaches seem to be a bit more for surfers than for kids (although I am seeing it in winter). The CBD is still 20 minutes away.

If it was me I'd stay in Fremantle. Get to city on the train in 40 minutes (not as far as it sounds because it's a suburban (slow) railway). You could drive it in 25 minutes. Still close to river beaches such as Point Walter. Great atmosphere, close to the good northern beaches such as Cottesloe.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NKSK
Just to throw in an alternative view. It's not the place that I would choose for a holiday. Been here for a month now - it isn't bad - there are just better places. I think it's a bit rough at night (sat. morning broken bottles along sides of roads). The beaches seem to be a bit more for surfers than for kids (although I am seeing it in winter). The CBD is still 20 minutes away.

If it was me I'd stay in Fremantle. Get to city on the train in 40 minutes (not as far as it sounds because it's a suburban (slow) railway). You could drive it in 25 minutes. Still close to river beaches such as Point Walter. Great atmosphere, close to the good northern beaches such as Cottesloe.
Have to agree that although I did enjoy Scarborough I think we were swayed by the hotel. We were moving around so we stayed in Fremantle as well and found it to be brill. As you said it has a fantastic atmosphere. We stayed there over the weekend and really enjoyed the markets and the nightlife even with a young daughter there was still places to go out to at night.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:21 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
Have to agree that although I did enjoy Scarborough I think we were swayed by the hotel. We were moving around so we stayed in Fremantle as well and found it to be brill. As you said it has a fantastic atmosphere. We stayed there over the weekend and really enjoyed the markets and the nightlife even with a young daughter there was still places to go out to at night.
Thirded, Scarborough is a surf beach, not for kids and at night is a great place to get in to a fight
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:28 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Thirded, Scarborough is a surf beach, not for kids and at night is a great place to get in to a fight
fourthed

I'd reccommed Freo as well.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks to all for the helpful replies

Looks like Freo maybe a better option for us

I guess I now need to find some decent accomodation

Any recommendations?? We particularly like the look of the 'resorts' with pools, BBQ's etc etc

Cheers

BD