Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family & friends

Family & friends

Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

JoandPaulW is a jewel in the roughJoandPaulW is a jewel in the roughJoandPaulW is a jewel in the roughJoandPaulW is a jewel in the rough
Default Family & friends

we are in the early stages of the immigration process and sent off my OH's application to TRA about 2 weeks ago. I have just told my family and close friends about our plans to emigrate and feel horrible - everyone is so upset, we are hurting so many people.

not sure how i can do this to my mum and sister - we are so close, and my little neice macey - can't bare to think of not seeing her all the time - but i don't want to not go and in a few years time regret it.

am an emotional wreck! how do you get past this guilty and sad stage?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all
Default Re: Family & friends

Originally Posted by JoandPaulW
we are in the early stages of the immigration process and sent off my OH's application to TRA about 2 weeks ago. I have just told my family and close friends about our plans to emigrate and feel horrible - everyone is so upset, we are hurting so many people.

not sure how i can do this to my mum and sister - we are so close, and my little neice macey - can't bare to think of not seeing her all the time - but i don't want to not go and in a few years time regret it.

Time is what is needed, it is all a bit raw for you all at the mo try not to think too hard about it.

Try to think of the good times you will be having when they all come to visit you.

You only have one life better to try and fail than to not try at all and regret.

We havent told our family yet waiting to get the visa first in case it goes wrong.

But if we get it we are off in feb 08 so they wont have long to think about it.

not sure if this is a good idea or bad but it feels right for us as we have a brother in law who likes to put you down any chance he gets so dont want to give him ammo if we dont get it.lol
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

Hi
They are probably in shock and just need to get use to the idea. You will get positive and negative responses from both friends and family, but you have to think of your future and great opportunities that lie ahead. There are many ways to keep in touch, and remind them they can visit.
I remember going over and telling my mum, who will be 80 in Jan 08, she was fantastic about it, i was the one who was crying telling her!! Anyway now she's taken herself off to the local computer class learning how to e-mail me next year!!
It is a rollercoaster that you've joined! Everyone wil be fine i'm sure.
Good luck.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

JoandPaulW is a jewel in the roughJoandPaulW is a jewel in the roughJoandPaulW is a jewel in the roughJoandPaulW is a jewel in the rough

thank you for your wise words!

i have to say, as the week progressed, it became a lot easier and my mum and sis are being really supportive - it has also made me feel so much better now that we can actually talk openly about it - a relief really!

i know that if we get accepted (fingers & toes crossed!!!) it will be harder all over again but we will have to deal with that when it happens!

the next step is telling my OH parents which will be even worse - my family are pleased for us to be following our dreams - his parents will not understand at all how we can leave family and friends etc.. am dreading it ... watch this space!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Good luck Jo and Paul with everything. I too am very close to my mum and sisters and when I first told them they were really upset. 6 months on and they can't wait to come over for their holidays. Let's hope we get the visa Good luck and also with telling the in-laws

Nic
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Location: Newcastle upon tyne/Harrogate-- soon to be Townsville in July!
kookaburra_baby is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Family & friends

thank you for your wise words!

i have to say, as the week progressed, it became a lot easier and my mum and sis are being really supportive - it has also made me feel so much better now that we can actually talk openly about it - a relief really!

i know that if we get accepted (fingers & toes crossed!!!) it will be harder all over again but we will have to deal with that when it happens!

the next step is telling my OH parents which will be even worse - my family are pleased for us to be following our dreams - his parents will not understand at all how we can leave family and friends etc.. am dreading it ... watch this space!!!

Good luck with telling the OH parents, it'l be hard to do (as you already know) but remember that everyone has there own path in life- they will cross again!
x