Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TRAVELLING TIPS WITH A 6 MONTH OLD ALONE!!!

TRAVELLING TIPS WITH A 6 MONTH OLD ALONE!!!

Old Jan 17th 2010, 11:26 pm

Swheeler is an unknown quantity at this point
Question TRAVELLING TIPS WITH A 6 MONTH OLD ALONE!!!

Hi

I am travelling back to the UK to visit family alone with a six month old who is formula fed, any tips much appreciated not sure how we are gona manage we are at the awkward stage still needing to sterilize bottles etc. Our flight has a stop over in Dubai then onto Birmingham.

Any advise?

Thanks
Old Jan 17th 2010, 11:57 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: TRAVELLING TIPS WITH A 6 MONTH OLD ALONE!!!

I would suggest a couple options:

1. Stop sterilizing the bottles. I only did ours for about the first 4 months anyway, after that I just washed them really well. Just take a small travel squirt bottle and fill it with dishwashing soap then used a bit of bottle water to wash.

2. This is the better option. See if you can switch the baby over to a type of bottle that has liners that can be thrown away. That way you only need to wash the nipple & rings. I used to be able to carry the one bottle, a box of liners and enough tops to last about 8 feedings without having to wash anything. The best part is it only took up the space of about 3 bottles.

http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Drop-I.../dp/B0006FHBB0

Other than that pack as light as you can for yourself and bring everything you think you'll need. Ask for help whenever you need it, people tend to be very helpful to moms travelling by themselves with little babies.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Get pre-mixed formula cartons. You should be ok with them. I was in Dubai but check that you are ok to take them through your departure airport for security.

You can buy pre-sterilised disposble bottles which you can get on ebay. use them once and chuck away. perfect for the flight. At 6 months you can stop sterilising though.

Make sure you have a bulkhead seat with the bassinet so baby can sleep which he/she should do most of the way.

Take changes of clothes for yourself and baby. Sitting on a 24 hour flight with baby sick on your shoulder is not a pleasant experience.

Don't be frightened to ask for help.

There are strollers for use (free) at Dubai airport so you can check your own one all the way through.

Don't worry about it. 6 months is a good age to travel at. Wait until they won't sit down.....then the fun begins!

Take his own blanket too as the ones you get on the plane are horrid. May be a couple of small toys. Definitely more nappies than you think you will need as well as wipes, dummy and everything else you'd usually have in your changing bag.

Are you weaning yet?
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

here you go

http://www.steribottle.com/quotes.htm
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:07 am

Swheeler is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh thanks a friend suggested the throw away bottles, yes i am weaning he is on a small amount of solids but not to worried about that, he is already crawling around the floors and wont stay still so im not sure how he will go being contained for over 16 hours but will def look at the bottles.

The CHN said bottles should be sterlisered until he is 12 months old!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

I think some guidelines have been changed. I only did until my son was 6 months old but certainly go with whatever you are happiest with.

You may need to get those bottles sent over from the UK though as I don't think I have seen them here.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:56 am
faf
Forum Regular

faf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nice

Hi

I wouldn't worry to much about having sterilized bottles as it's only for one day, but if you wanted them you could always take empty sterilized bottles with you.

I flew with a 6 month old who was on formula and I just made up as many bottles as I needed for each flight and airport time as soon as we boarded the plane. Not quite sure the hostesses we're happy with this, but tough I needed to be prepared. This worked for me as it meant I had it to hand when she was ready for her feed. And then I just give the bottles a good wash in the baby room in the airports.

Try and get a bassinet it will be easier for you to sleep whilst baby is safely tucked in.

Don't be afraid to ask for your meals to be served once you have fed baby if it fall's at the same time.

Feeding a bottle on take off and landing really helped with the ear pressure.

You haven't said when you are flying but you are weaning, so make sure you take the food you know baby likes as they will be more likely to eat it. For my daughter it was baby rice and vanilla custard. Also have some finger food to hand, not only does it fill their bellies it also keeps them occupied.

Give some pain killers just before the flight to ease any niggles.

Try and keep to your routine as much as you can i.e. changing into day and night time clothes etc.

Lastly don't forget the children's TV channel!

Hope you have a good flight.

Sara
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swheeler
The CHN said bottles should be sterlisered until he is 12 months old!
Human nipples certainly aren't sterile so I never really go the whole sterilising bottles thing. My kids' bottles were washed in the dishwasher and that's it. By 6 months they're putting everything they can grab in their mouths, the vast majority of it not sterile. Absolutely by 12 months they've had hundreds of unsterile things in their mouths, so sterilising bottles is (IMO) silly. You don't sterilise the bowls, spoons, cups, toys, etc that they put in their mouths at that age, so why bottles?

Anyway, flying with a 6 month old should be fairly easy. I used to take my daughter back and forth from Toronto to Vancouver long haul from birth until she was about 10 months old. As others have said, make sure you ask for a bulkhead seat so you can have the bassinette. You should also get enough leg room that way that the baby can sit on the floor for a bit by your feet to play. Also as said, bring some toys, his own blanket, changes of clothes and lots of nappies. I used to bring arrowroot biscuits in my diaper bag for my daughter to gnaw on too. And you'll find that the cabin crew are very helpful if you ask for help.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Human nipples certainly aren't sterile so I never really go the whole sterilising bottles thing. My kids' bottles were washed in the dishwasher and that's it. By 6 months they're putting everything they can grab in their mouths, the vast majority of it not sterile. Absolutely by 12 months they've had hundreds of unsterile things in their mouths, so sterilising bottles is (IMO) silly. You don't sterilise the bowls, spoons, cups, toys, etc that they put in their mouths at that age, so why bottles?

Anyway, flying with a 6 month old should be fairly easy. I used to take my daughter back and forth from Toronto to Vancouver long haul from birth until she was about 10 months old. As others have said, make sure you ask for a bulkhead seat so you can have the bassinette. You should also get enough leg room that way that the baby can sit on the floor for a bit by your feet to play. Also as said, bring some toys, his own blanket, changes of clothes and lots of nappies. I used to bring arrowroot biscuits in my diaper bag for my daughter to gnaw on too. And you'll find that the cabin crew are very helpful if you ask for help.
They are getting a bit thingy about kids being on the floor these days so I wouldnt bank on that as an option (mine used to sleep on the floor but that is now specifically verboten!)

However I do agree, travelling with a 6 monther should be fine - I've done it with my own kids at various ages and never had a problem - recently we did it with my granddaughter and even though she was on the limit for the bassinette she slept beautifully.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Take a bag of spare nipples (!) and just a couple of bottles. Get the cabin crew to wash out the bottles, and sterliise your nipples when you get there. (I melted our steriliser in the microwave when our son was 7 weeks old, so hand to hand-wash till I bought a new one. He was fine).

I used to hang a portable toy bar (it had two grips) across the bassinet and drape a dark sarong over the top. It made a dark "tent" so the baby could sleep even if the cabin lights were on.

Ignore the looks from miserable sods who glare at you when (and even when not!) your baby cries.

You'll be fine. It won't be the best flight you've ever had, but you'll be fine!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I just took enough bottles for 4 hourly feeds ready with sterile pre boiled water. I asked the staff to warm the water on the plane then added my premeasured formula to the warm water.

I was mixed feeding, so 6 bottles were plentiful. And flying Au to UK is easier than the other way round where UK security made me open and taste every bottle- so def not sterile. AU security are a lot more pragmatic.

Change of clothes for both of you is essential.
Plenty of nappies and a change bag with space for laying your baby on- the loos are cramped and not always very clean.

Bulkhead seat are best although bassinets are not always available- depends on no of babies on board.

I also found a sling useful- meant my daughter slept on me while I still had hands free.
If you have a decent umbrella stroller (we have a McLaren suitable from birth) you can take to the gate, board first, get it back at stopover, drop it at gate as you reboard. The loan ones are OK but rarely have lay back function - my D will only sleep laying back in a comfy way!
And of course strollers are handy for hanging all your clutter on....

Oh and a bottle of Nurofen just in case of sickness...

Happy travels