Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family/child benefit

Family/child benefit

Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:30 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Default Family/child benefit

Can anyone advise me as to when we should cancel the family/child benefit that we receive here in the UK?

We fly to Oz, March 29th and wondered if the benefit stops then, or do we get a little bit of a leeway by claiming UK benefit for the fist couple of weeks after our arrival??

Thanks........Rob
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Family/child benefit

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
Can anyone advise me as to when we should cancel the family/child benefit that we receive here in the UK?

We fly to Oz, March 29th and wondered if the benefit stops then, or do we get a little bit of a leeway by claiming UK benefit for the fist couple of weeks after our arrival??

Thanks........Rob
Rob I cancelled mine a month before we left and we got 6 weeks final pay.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:56 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Rob I cancelled mine a month before we left and we got 6 weeks final pay.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Does that also apply if you're only going on a temp. visa and therefore don't qualify for anything in Aus?
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by herrchook
Does that also apply if you're only going on a temp. visa and therefore don't qualify for anything in Aus?
Hiya

To be honest I'm not sure with a temp visa.

However...logic tells me the UK fam allowance is a UK benefit....not an Aussie benefit...so the 6 weeks pay serves as a severance pay if that makes sense?

I would have thought it was the same

Perhaps you should give the benefit office a ring. No harm in asking
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:24 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

To be honest I'm not sure with a temp visa.

However...logic tells me the UK fam allowance is a UK benefit....not an Aussie benefit...so the 6 weeks pay serves as a severance pay if that makes sense?

I would have thought it was the same

Perhaps you should give the benefit office a ring. No harm in asking
Makes sense to me too. Will give them a call nearer the time.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by herrchook
Makes sense to me too. Will give them a call nearer the time.
If you have children under 16 I think you can get child benefit here in Aus too? It's probably one of the only benefits that you can get if you have young children. It might be worth you speaking to Centrelink when you get here to assess what you are entitled to.

Good luck with the move too
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

wilfam has a spectacular aura aboutwilfam has a spectacular aura aboutwilfam has a spectacular aura about

If you have children under 16 I think you can get child benefit here in Aus too? It's probably one of the only benefits that you can get if you have young children. It might be worth you speaking to Centrelink when you get here to assess what you are entitled to.

Good luck with the move too
You won't get family benefit though on a temporary visa.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wilfam
You won't get family benefit though on a temporary visa.
Oh really? Didn't realise. Not much you can get on a temp visa then

Perhaps they should go to Centrelink to see if there is anything they are entitled to with kids.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:57 pm
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look here and here! you'll find out all you need!
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:57 pm
Sunny Sydney

Oh really? Didn't realise. Not much you can get on a temp visa then

Perhaps they should go to Centrelink to see if there is anything they are entitled to with kids.
I think it's worth speaking to them anyway because we're going on SIR which strictly speaking is provisional and not temporary. Nothing ventures nothing gained I suppose. They can only say no

cheers

Oh, actually they can......

Important: Other temporary visa holders, including those holding skilled independent, regional, employer-assisted and business skills (provisional) visas cannot access any payments while the person is the holder of a temporary or provisional visa.
Taken from Centrelink's Recently Moved To Australia document

Last edited by herrchook; Jan 30th 2006 at 7:17 pm.