Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family benefits in Aus

Family benefits in Aus

Old Aug 24th 2003, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family benefits in Aus

In NZ we get what is called a family benefit and also a tax credit the amount depending on how many children you have and what your gross income is. Is there anything like that in Aus and do newcomers to Aus have to wait 2 years to get it. Graham
Old Aug 24th 2003, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Coventry is an unknown quantity at this point

I know you asked the question - but can i ask a question of you?

what's this tax credit for children in NZ that you refer to - do you have to have PR or just be a taxpayer?

carol
Old Aug 24th 2003, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

The Jacksons is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I think that you can receive a child benefit in Australia and no you do not have to wait 2 years to get it either. I think it is also means tested but I seem to think that there is a minimum amount??? I`m sure someone who is already there will know a lot more accurately than me.

Sarah
Old Aug 24th 2003, 11:12 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes there is a child allowance in Aus. As far as I know it has nothing to do with PR, but don't quote me on that.
I do not know what it amounts to because it is means tested and appartently I have the means.

If your income is low enough you can also get subsidised child care - but again, I do not know what that amounts to (don't know much really, do I?). I do know that child care without the subsidy is expensive. Thankfully ours start school next year.
Cheers,
DagBoy
Old Aug 25th 2003, 12:16 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DagBoy
Yes there is a child allowance in Aus. As far as I know it has nothing to do with PR, but don't quote me on that.
I do not know what it amounts to because it is means tested and appartently I have the means.

If your income is low enough you can also get subsidised child care - but again, I do not know what that amounts to (don't know much really, do I?). I do know that child care without the subsidy is expensive. Thankfully ours start school next year.
Cheers,
DagBoy
There is Family Benefit for couples and single people with children, It is not dependant on Citizenship or the two year rule, Yes it is means tested on joint family income, age and number of children determine the rates and limits set

see here for more details

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Inter...ents/FTBA.html

Cheers
Old Aug 25th 2003, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Aussies also get perenting paymnent if you are on low/single income but the 2 year rule applies to this.

Diane
Old Aug 25th 2003, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by The Jacksons
Yes I think that you can receive a child benefit in Australia and no you do not have to wait 2 years to get it either. I think it is also means tested but I seem to think that there is a minimum amount??? I`m sure someone who is already there will know a lot more accurately than me.

Sarah
I had a look on the Government website www.ird.govt.nz under the heading "family assitance". It looks as though you have to have been a permanent resident in the country for 12 months to get it. It is made up of family support which is a payment for each child living with you up to age 18 and family tax credit which is extra paid to you if your income is low. I have 6 children at home. On a gross income of $48,000 I was getting about $250 a fortnight. The breakdown was about $95 family support and the balance was family tax credit. If I only had 4 children on that salary I probably wouldnt have got the family tax credit. check out the above website if you have some spare time. Graham
Old Aug 25th 2003, 9:14 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandra
There is Family Benefit for couples and single people with children, It is not dependant on Citizenship or the two year rule, Yes it is means tested on joint family income, age and number of children determine the rates and limits set

see here for more details

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Inter...ents/FTBA.html

Cheers

sandra -YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE ANGEL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was under the impression from the Oz govt websites that there was no help whatsoever unless you were a permanent resident!! This site tells you everything you need to know and states what visa class if not a PR gives you entitlement!
My partner and I had decided not to go for another 3 years because the cost of childcare for out 2 year old twins would have been too much based on only our earnings but now we are dancing around the front room !!!!!!!!!!
I owe you a large drink!!!!
Cheers
Sue :