Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

family assistance question

family assistance question

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:30 am
sheila and joe

joe and sheila will become famous soon enough
Default family assistance question

at the momemt we recieve some family assistance -- when we sell our house in the uk( or should i say if we EVER sell our house ) and bring the money over( to build) do you declare this as income?

anyone in the know?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:42 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: family assistance question

Originally Posted by joe and sheila
at the momemt we recieve some family assistance -- when we sell our house in the uk( or should i say if we EVER sell our house ) and bring the money over( to build) do you declare this as income?

anyone in the know?
I wouldn't have thought so as it's not earnings.

We claimed when we first arrived and had $340000 in the bank.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:55 am
ABCDiamond

anyone in the know?
They are only interested in the Profit, or the Loss, you make. Not the capital sum.

There is NO asset test for this.

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Hafan is on a distinguished road

anyone in the know?

Its not income, but if you make a loss or a gain on the exchange of the money (this is difference between the amount you would have got for the money when you became a tax resident in Australian and how much you get for it now) then this goes on your tax return as a capital gain or loss.

Edited - forgot to say it does not affect your family assistance at all.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hafan
Its not income, but if you make a loss or a gain on the exchange of the money (this is difference between the amount you would have got for the money when you became a tax resident in Australian and how much you get for it now) then this goes on your tax return as a capital gain or loss.
If the capital gain relates to the sale of a main residence then it *might* not be taxable (depends on circumstances).
Old Mar 4th 2006, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Hafan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ
If the capital gain relates to the sale of a main residence then it *might* not be taxable (depends on circumstances).

Hi JAJ
I was thinking more about the capital gain / loss on the currency when it is transfered. I don't think there is a capital gain on the sale of the property unless they have bought another house here.

Thanks
Hafan
Old Mar 5th 2006, 10:09 am
sheila and joe

joe and sheila will become famous soon enough

thanks for all your responses

sheila