Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family Assistance (overpayment worry!)

Family Assistance (overpayment worry!)

Old Jul 5th 2006, 4:14 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Family Assistance (overpayment worry!)

Hi,

Hubby done his Tax Return yesterday & it looks like i have been overpaid Family assistance.Hubbys wage was $2700 more than my income estimate for his wage.

Does anyone know how they work out by how much i have been overpaid by?

The way i have tried to work it out is by using my estimate i'd given to Family assistance for hubbys wage & using his exact gross wage total,doing an online estimate of how much family assistance i am entitled to using both figures for hubbys wage,then deducting from the two total yearly family assistance figures? & the difference between the 2 figures is what you owe

Im worried sick incase i owe nearly $3000 back to them,but if the way i have worked it out is right means i would only owe them around $547 mark.

Have phoned Family assistance & was abruptly told that they are not trained to do these calculations as its all done through the computer

Anyone help?

Donna.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 4:44 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family Assistance (overpayment worry!)

Originally Posted by madsad
Hi,

Hubby done his Tax Return yesterday & it looks like i have been overpaid Family assistance.Hubbys wage was $2700 more than my income estimate for his wage.

The way i have tried to work it out is by using my estimate i'd given to Family assistance for hubbys wage & using his exact gross wage total,doing an online estimate of how much family assistance i am entitled to using both figures for hubbys wage,then deducting from the two total yearly family assistance figures? & the difference between the 2 figures is what you owe

Im worried sick incase i owe nearly $3000 back to them,but if the way i have worked it out is right means i would only owe them around $547 mark.

Have phoned Family assistance & was abruptly told that they are not trained to do these calculations as its all done through the computer

Anyone help?

Donna.
Donna, im in a similar position as i started work in january but last year i put down nil income as i didnt know whether i was going to be a stay at home mum or to go out and work, so i have been overpaid by approx $3000 (pretty much the whole of FTB B, when i called the family assistance office, i got a really helpful lady who worked out what i was going to owe (so they obviously can do it) it apparently there is some sort of supplement you get per child which is about $745 (from memory, i might be wrong) and they can take that off and when i looked at my actual earnings, it wasnt to bad, i had worked it out on the gross figure and had overestimated a bit too, so i only owe them about $1700, this will be confirmed when i do my tax return. The lady i spoke to said i can pay outright or use my new amended amount becasue we are both working (a whole $55 a fortnight yeehah !!!!) to reduce and pay off. I have now opted to get paid in a lump sum at the end of the financial year now to save this happening again !!
The system is really confusing, and i really think it depends on the mood of the person who answers the call as to how much they can be bothered helping you. Try calling again and hopefully you'll get someone a bit more helpful. Good luck, and hope its not too much of an overpayment
Old Jul 5th 2006, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

This may help...

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/10712.htm

Hi,

Anyone help?

Donna.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 4:59 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe

I have done this online,I already know i have been overpaid! I just wanted to know if the way i have done the calculations is correct? (how the Family assistance calculate how much you,ve been overpaid?)

Donna.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
Donna, im in a similar position as i started work in january but last year i put down nil income as i didnt know whether i was going to be a stay at home mum or to go out and work, so i have been overpaid by approx $3000 (pretty much the whole of FTB B, when i called the family assistance office, i got a really helpful lady who worked out what i was going to owe (so they obviously can do it) it apparently there is some sort of supplement you get per child which is about $745 (from memory, i might be wrong) and they can take that off and when i looked at my actual earnings, it wasnt to bad, i had worked it out on the gross figure and had overestimated a bit too, so i only owe them about $1700, this will be confirmed when i do my tax return. The lady i spoke to said i can pay outright or use my new amended amount becasue we are both working (a whole $55 a fortnight yeehah !!!!) to reduce and pay off. I have now opted to get paid in a lump sum at the end of the financial year now to save this happening again !!
The system is really confusing, and i really think it depends on the mood of the person who answers the call as to how much they can be bothered helping you. Try calling again and hopefully you'll get someone a bit more helpful. Good luck, and hope its not too much of an overpayment
Thanks,
Its just got me worried,i hate owing money!
I knew about the supplement its $627.(x 3 in my case!) just a bit of a bummer as we had plans for that wee bit extra money,hubbys Tax Return was not what we expected either
Im really hoping i have worked it out properly,maybe i should just go to Centrelink & sort it out.
The woman i spoke to today said they were not trained to work it out but if i have hubbys exact gross total & i can work out the estimates using their online services,why can't they?

Donna.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
I knew about the supplement its $627.(x 3 in my case!) just a bit of a bummer as we had plans for that wee bit extra money,hubbys Tax Return was not what we expected either
Im really hoping i have worked it out properly,maybe i should just go to Centrelink & sort it out.
The woman i spoke to today said they were not trained to work it out but if i have hubbys exact gross total & i can work out the estimates using their online services,why can't they?

Donna.
Snap me too - just had a go at the link but most of my info is at home so will try later.

But at weekend I worked out that joint income was $550 above our estimated income for the year.

But not sure if that means we have been overpaid that amount - so will wait until I do a tax return !
Old Jul 5th 2006, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

Donna.
What is the supplement you are talking about??
Old Jul 5th 2006, 5:37 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

Donna.

Sorry Donna but I cant answer this for you. It is something I'm worried about myself though. At the moment we are here on a 457 visa so cant claim anything but should get our PR shortly. Do they take into account any overtime worked or is it just based on basic salary? Hubby works a lot of overtime (has to for us to pay the bills!). Also I was wondering what other benefits you (we) are entitled to? This is one thing I hadnt expected to be interested in but with finances the way they are for us now unfortunately its the first thing I will be looking at as soon as we get PR. I'm a stay at home mum (well I'm at home all day while my little one is in school!) so I'm not earning.

TIA

Rach xxxx
Old Jul 5th 2006, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by sasbear
What is the supplement you are talking about??

You get a $627 supplement per child at the end of the tax year (end July) something to do with part A Family Tax,I never knew anything about that last year & got a nice wee surprise!

Maybe someone else can explain it a bit better than me,its just sooo confusing

Donna.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Sorry Donna but I cant answer this for you. It is something I'm worried about myself though. At the moment we are here on a 457 visa so cant claim anything but should get our PR shortly. Do they take into account any overtime worked or is it just based on basic salary? Hubby works a lot of overtime (has to for us to pay the bills!). Also I was wondering what other benefits you (we) are entitled to? This is one thing I hadnt expected to be interested in but with finances the way they are for us now unfortunately its the first thing I will be looking at as soon as we get PR. I'm a stay at home mum (well I'm at home all day while my little one is in school!) so I'm not earning.

TIA

Rach xxxx

Its worked out on your total combined (Gross) Salary, im afraid

As for what other benefits you may be able to get,i dont know-sorry.
Best thing to do would go to your nearest Centrelink & explain your circumstances & they will sort out all your entitlements there & then.

Donna.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:01 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Its worked out on your total combined (Gross) Salary, im afraid

As for what other benefits you may be able to get,i dont know-sorry.
Best thing to do would go to your nearest Centrelink & explain your circumstances & they will sort out all your entitlements there & then.

Donna.

Cheers Donna. Yes I feared as much! I've worked it out using the online calculators and it doesnt make a huge difference (does when every $ counts though!! ). Oh well, at least it'll be better than what we're getting at the moment - zilch!

Last edited by tygwyn; Jul 5th 2006 at 6:54 am.