Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family Areas In Sydney

Family Areas In Sydney

Old Sep 24th 2003, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family Areas In Sydney

Anybody in Sydney who would know which areas near the CBD that we should consider. We have 2 yound kids and want to live in a family friendly, safe area.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 9:30 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Family Areas In Sydney

Originally posted by jasonK944
Anybody in Sydney who would know which areas near the CBD that we should consider. We have 2 yound kids and want to live in a family friendly, safe area.
Near the CBD you have 2 choices, North or East.

The most family orientated of the Eastern Suburbs Beaches is Bronte. It has a nice park and is a pleasant contrast to the youth of Bondi. Clovelly is nice as well. Coogee is a bit of a backpacker magnet but has its own charm.

On the North side of the Harbour there are some very nice areas if you have the money. In particular I liked Balmoral. A nice harbourside beach with an excellent restaurant (Balmoral Bathers).

I don't know the North much but from what I have been told the schools are better than the Eastern Suburbs. You really need to speak to parents regarding this though.

To get timings of getting to the CBD by public transport check www.131500.com.au. By car look at www.whereis.com.au .

The big question is what is your budget and size requirment?
Old Sep 25th 2003, 12:21 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

There are good areas all over - why close to Sydney CBD?

Also if you give an idea of budget as Bondi says more people can give an idea. People live outside of Sydney quite a bit and the commute isn't that wicked.

I rate the North Shore Schools - public are good but of course if you are planning private that might change requirements. Are you in need of local schools yet - kids ages etc.

Have fun
Old Sep 25th 2003, 1:09 am

Another way t answer this is places to avoid near the CBD

Surry Hills, Darlinghurst, Kings X, Elizabeth Bay, Redfern, Waterloo, Wooloomooloo, North Paddington. There are other bad areas for families but the above are not for the kiddies.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Melbourne
Old Sep 25th 2003, 4:21 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RichS
Melbourne
That's where we were planning to go until sidetracked by job transfer....why do you rate Melbourne over Sydney for families....cost alone?
Old Sep 25th 2003, 4:31 am

Originally posted by RichS
Melbourne
Me thinks someone is playing silly buggers.

Old Sep 25th 2003, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Sandra, and its nothing to do with the fact the she only lives a stones throw away. Albeit using a large catapult.

We started off looking close in to the CBD, Eastern Suburbs, North Shore, but if you want a half decent garden big enough to let kids run around, it will cost you a bit and they are quite built up and congested.

Decided on West Pymble as it is an easy enough commute from Gordon station on the North Shore line, close to decent parks, schools, day care, pools, shopping, etc. Nice friendly area. Plenty other similar families in the vicinity.