British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Family of 5 with a 4 year plan :) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/family-5-4-year-plan-943017/)

Dudders89 Mar 4th 2022 10:38 am

Family of 5 with a 4 year plan :)

Hi All,

Just introducing myself as a newbie to the forum :wave:
I don't have any specific questions (off the top of my head), but no doubt I will inundate you all with my questions and queries before much longer.

So, we're a family of 5 (my wife and I, and our 3 children, (7, 4, 1).
The plan is to emigrate on a 189 as we are both registered nurse practitioners.
Location will be NSW, coastal and north of Coffs Harbour.

We have a couple of years to pay off the little debt we have, and then a couple of years to save to move (we anticipate it costing around £10,000 to get us there).

At the moment, I'm doing all the research... of which there is helluva lot to do!

So, hey! Looking forward to being part of the community.
All the best :)

verystormy Mar 5th 2022 4:21 am

Re: Family of 5 with a 4 year plan :)

Welcome.

Only thing I would say is that your budget is pretty low.

Dudders89 Mar 5th 2022 7:44 am

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 13099175)
Welcome.

Only thing I would say is that your budget is pretty low.

Thanks for your reply :)

Budget doesn't have to be that. So spending a bit more wouldn't be a problem.

How much would you expect in your experience?

old.sparkles Mar 5th 2022 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Dudders89 (Post 13099188)
Thanks for your reply :)

Budget doesn't have to be that. So spending a bit more wouldn't be a problem.

How much would you expect in your experience?

At least three times - if not more.

I think I spent somewhere around £20k 10 years ago for two of us - and that was when the visa charge was per family.

Skills assessment, English test, medicals, visa application and incidentals, shipping, flights and incidentals, temporary accommodation, hire car, licensing fees - all adds up

Pollyana Mar 5th 2022 10:06 am

Just looking at the current visa fees https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...a-pricing/work

A 189 is #4,115 for the main applicant, then $2,055 for your partner/spouse and $1,030 for each child. That's nearly $10,000 (approx £5,000). Thats just on the basic visa fee, before you add anything else.

Its a very long time since I moved, and I came alone, no family to buy things for and set up in new lives. But I have been on forums for many years, and the figure I hear bandied around these days for a family with 2 or 3 children is £30,000. Thats a current estimate for the visa stuff, flights, shipping set up fees over here (hotel on arrival, car, deposit on an initial rental, basic State school fees/costs, stuff for a new home etc). Just do a bit of a search for the Good Guys or Harvey Norman and look at the cost of replacing all your white goods, for instance.
Thats current prices - and they won't get any less over the next couple of years.
I really don't want to put anyone off, but its not a cheap move these days.

Moses2013 Mar 5th 2022 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 13099211)
Just looking at the current visa fees https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...a-pricing/work

A 189 is #4,115 for the main applicant, then $2,055 for your partner/spouse and $1,030 for each child. That's nearly $10,000 (approx £5,000). Thats just on the basic visa fee, before you add anything else.

Its a very long time since I moved, and I came alone, no family to buy things for and set up in new lives. But I have been on forums for many years, and the figure I hear bandied around these days for a family with 2 or 3 children is £30,000. Thats a current estimate for the visa stuff, flights, shipping set up fees over here (hotel on arrival, car, deposit on an initial rental, basic State school fees/costs, stuff for a new home etc). Just do a bit of a search for the Good Guys or Harvey Norman and look at the cost of replacing all your white goods, for instance.
Thats current prices - and they won't get any less over the next couple of years.
I really don't want to put anyone off, but its not a cheap move these days.

And what seems more worrying is the rain right now and even more over the next couple of years. Coffs Harbour seems to have escaped worst I hear?

quoll Mar 5th 2022 6:34 pm

I’d agree with the others. £10k is very low - it cost the two of us easily that back in March 2020 and we didn’t have to pay for visas as already citizens, didn’t have to pay rent as we were moving into our own home. Air fares were high-ish at that time but that’s what you pay for deciding to move in 3 days. Sending your stuff will cost several thousand too - you pay at both ends. We still haven’t bought a car (got a very old loaner from the son) but that would definitely have taken us well over the £10k. I suppose nurses have an easier time getting jobs but they always used to say that you need a 6 months buffer just in case you don’t walk straight into a job and at the current rate that’d be around £20k. I’d aim for £50k to be comfortable - rents, bonds, insurances, set up costs all eat into it then if you have any left over it’s a win win.

Beoz Mar 7th 2022 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 13099278)
And what seems more worrying is the rain right now and even more over the next couple of years. Coffs Harbour seems to have escaped worst I hear?

The rain has not changed. That's people with a climate chip on their shoulder using it to peddle an agenda. Its a La Nina year for the East Coast. On the flipside the other side of the country is very dry. For example, Lismore got battered this year, but it also got battered in the 50's and 70's badly and pretty much floods very other year or so. I remember staying with a relative around 1982/83 time in Lismore and much of the town was under water then.

abner Mar 7th 2022 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Dudders89 (Post 13099007)
The plan is to emigrate on a 189 as we are both registered nurse practitioners.
Location will be NSW, coastal and north of Coffs Harbour.

Other posters have already told you that your notional relocation budget is too low, and that's undoubtedly true. And your own OP indicates that this is a multi-year plan on the part of you and your family.

But you might want to consider whether you can take advantage of the current shortage of nurse professionals (at all qualification levels) in Australia -- and particularly in NSW -- as CoVid burnout decimates the ranks of current nursing staff. This has had hospitals and other health-industry employers bending over backwards, compared to previous practice, to facilitate and fund qualified overseas nurse applicants through the visa process.

An overseas-qualified mate of my wife recently had her permanent-residence status put through 18 months earlier than expected, with all legal (i.e. visa-related) costs covered by the hospital. She was pretty highly qualified, but still an overseas applicant with 'only' overseas experience, who certainly wouldn't have received that level of support until very recently.

So give a shot at pro-actively reaching out to potential employers in your geographical area of interest, particularly if you and your family are willing to move early, for the right longterm opportunity.

Moses2013 Mar 7th 2022 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 13099523)
The rain has not changed. That's people with a climate chip on their shoulder using it to peddle an agenda. Its a La Nina year for the East Coast. On the flipside the other side of the country is very dry. For example, Lismore got battered this year, but it also got battered in the 50's and 70's badly and pretty much floods very other year or so. I remember staying with a relative around 1982/83 time in Lismore and much of the town was under water then.

:lol:Of course it changes and when you build on a floodplain even more so. But back to OP

Beoz Mar 7th 2022 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 13099542)
:lol:Of course it changes and when you build on a floodplain even more so. But back to OP

Yes that has become an increasing problem up Noethern NSW.

BleughBleugh Oct 11th 2022 3:08 pm

can't help you with current costs, but when I moved 16 years ago, I just took suitcases and rented part furnished!.
Lived there for 10 years, moved to UK 6 years ago, now moving back to central coast next year.

one suggestion, sell as much as you can that isn't sentimental, don't try to ship a full container as, at £20k-ish, it's probably cheaper to burn everything you own and buy second hand / new over there...
half a container is maybe more viable...but, still, it's a lot of money!

So far i've roughly budgeted at around £30k if we had to get there and rent somewhere,

to move your stuff, you'd need £10k to do a 20ft container
then you'd need another £10k for flights and 'expenses' (hotel stays etc included, car hire, etc)
then you'd need another £10k to get and secure a rental for a few months, buy a cheap car and generally get settled...
Out North, prices creep up a bit, so you'd need to budget on $2-3000 a MONTH rental for a reasonable house for your lot (in the posh bits of central coast it's around $3-4000 a month for a 4-5 bedder!)

we're in a slightly better position than you though, BUT £10k is less than half of what you'll really need to do it