Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family of 4 looking to migrate.

Family of 4 looking to migrate.

Old Mar 19th 2021, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

SJZL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family of 4 looking to migrate.

Hi everyone! I’m posting here to hopefully get some useful information, hints, tips, anything really
We are a family of 4. I’m 31 my partner is 32, 2 children of 8 and 6. We are looking to relocate to Australia from the south of the UK, we have no idea of time scale..(few weeks would be nice ) maybe 4-5 years. I own a hair salon here in the UK (50% with my business partner) I have a qualification in a Level 3 hairdressing, I do also have a Level 2 childcare qualification (I mention this because I no they are useful)it may also be possible that by then I have some sort of teaching qualification to be able
to teach hairdressing, my partner has no qualification and worked on the railway for around 10 years then took a career change and become an electrician.. he has never finished the qualification though. ( it could be an option to get it done if need be!) We have 2 properties here, one we rent and one we live in, ideally we’d like to keep these as a source of income if its allowed. Savings are very low at the moment.. thanks to covid but we plan to have built it right back up by then. Are we ideal candidates? Are we up against time due to our age? Can my qualifications get my partner in, would be need to be married? We are looking to relocate to Sydney/Gold
coast areas. Thank you all so much, apologies for the boring long post
Old Mar 19th 2021, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family of 4 looking to migrate.

Originally Posted by SJZL
Hi everyone! I’m posting here to hopefully get some useful information, hints, tips, anything really
We are a family of 4. I’m 31 my partner is 32, 2 children of 8 and 6. We are looking to relocate to Australia from the south of the UK, we have no idea of time scale..(few weeks would be nice ) maybe 4-5 years. I own a hair salon here in the UK (50% with my business partner) I have a qualification in a Level 3 hairdressing, I do also have a Level 2 childcare qualification (I mention this because I no they are useful)it may also be possible that by then I have some sort of teaching qualification to be able
to teach hairdressing, my partner has no qualification and worked on the railway for around 10 years then took a career change and become an electrician.. he has never finished the qualification though. ( it could be an option to get it done if need be!) We have 2 properties here, one we rent and one we live in, ideally we’d like to keep these as a source of income if its allowed. Savings are very low at the moment.. thanks to covid but we plan to have built it right back up by then. Are we ideal candidates? Are we up against time due to our age? Can my qualifications get my partner in, would be need to be married? We are looking to relocate to Sydney/Gold
coast areas. Thank you all so much, apologies for the boring long post
If I were you I would check the skills list and see which state is taking hairdressers, as your husband has not formal skills unless he finishes his electrical course it would be dependent on your skill, maybe look at other visas but personally I would stay away from temp visas but that's just me. Good luck
Old Mar 19th 2021, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brits1
If I were you I would check the skills list and see which state is taking hairdressers, as your husband has not formal skills unless he finishes his electrical course it would be dependent on your skill, maybe look at other visas but personally I would stay away from temp visas but that's just me. Good luck
Thank you very much. Could you recommend a website with the most up to date info on? I did have a look but nothing was dated so was unsure if it was the most recent information. I’m trying to think ahead so that he could get he’s qualification done if need be.
Old Mar 19th 2021, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Ah Iv just had a look on the Australian government website. Looks like hairdressers are on the skilled list which is good news.

Old Mar 30th 2021, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SJZL
Ah Iv just had a look on the Australian government website. Looks like hairdressers are on the skilled list which is good news.
It may well be but doesn't necessary mean it would be easy to get work or indeed the preferred hours. We have a hairdresser living down from us several years out of Cornwall. She only manages part time and has only had short stints at working full time since arriving.