Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

family of 3 weekly supermarket cost QLD

family of 3 weekly supermarket cost QLD

Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: family of 3 weekly supermarket cost QLD

Originally Posted by mand8002
We always write the menu for the week as I find this prevents overbuying. This weeks menu includes:

Burgers and salad
Spaghetti bolognese
Cantonese chicken with rice
Chicken, potatoes, veg and gravy
Beef with bok choy and oyster sauce with rice
Steak and chips
Fish and leek pie

We find buying cooked meat from the deli section is cheaper than the pre packed section and limit ourselves to 6 bottles of soft drink a week.
We always do the meal planner thing too.

We shop at Coles, 2 adults, 2 toddlers (only 1 in nappies and no formula) and we spend about $200-$250. That includes fruit and veg and meat. We sometimes get meat from the butcher or veg from the market but with two kids aged 2 and under it's too hard some days to be traipsing round different shops.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
We always do the meal planner thing too.

We shop at Coles, 2 adults, 2 toddlers (only 1 in nappies and no formula) and we spend about $200-$250. That includes fruit and veg and meat. We sometimes get meat from the butcher or veg from the market but with two kids aged 2 and under it's too hard some days to be traipsing round different shops.
I blame the seatbelt laws myself.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Agree with you on not buying rubbish - biscuits etc and excess cleaning whizbang products, vinegar is brill and a buck for 2 litres..

But healthy food IS the expensive stuff.

Lean meat is big bucks not the meat barn fat and gristle stuff, fruit, vegies, even milk the low fat is more than full cream, granary bread is 4 times the price of bowel clog white. Fish is V expensive too, unless you want to buy some frozen imported farmed stuff. Salmon is usually near $40 a kilo

I love coming up with recipies made from legumes or oats, cheap as you can get, asian bean patties, or sugar free oat bars - delicious. In home ec, youngest took the sugar free bars to a school function, the teacher told him blunt, disgusting, you need to put lots of sugar in them, think the point went over her head.
Yes, if you cut out some stuff, there's more room for the healthy food that is expensive. The boss buys in all this expensive muesli stuff in several varieties and then does her own mix which makes my head spin around etc - it's like the stuff you see in the bottom of a bird cage.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I blame the seatbelt laws myself.
I blame the fact that if they spend longer than 5 minutes in the trolley they create wholly hell and we become "that family" .
Old Jan 18th 2011, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by LouiseR
I blame the fact that if they spend longer than 5 minutes in the trolley they create wholly hell and we become "that family" .
There is a 'Sainsbury checkout' kid in them all! Help them grasp it..

My leaflet 'Checkout children - it's OK - noone is looking at you' will help.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:28 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainme...124-1a2l4.html

The 120 dollar challenge blog.

Hope it's of some help !
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I use cloth nappies, and wipes, which helps, but I still spend between $250 and $300 a week. That is for 2 adults and two kids, and a cat.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

pink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mand8002
We always write the menu for the week as I find this prevents overbuying. This weeks menu includes:

Burgers and salad
Spaghetti bolognese
Cantonese chicken with rice
Chicken, potatoes, veg and gravy
Beef with bok choy and oyster sauce with rice
Steak and chips
Fish and leek pie

We find buying cooked meat from the deli section is cheaper than the pre packed section and limit ourselves to 6 bottles of soft drink a week.
Hi we live in Cairns & do the same as you guys & after doing it both ways it is certainly cheaper. We use on line Coles for non perishables & cleaning products, then rustys market or local store for fruit & veg. Then butcher sometimes Coles for the meat, fish markets for guess what!!!
Typical week menu for us.........
Burrito salad,
Tuscan tuna stuffed mushrooms,
Teriyaki salmon veg,
Kedgeree,
Dijon Chicken & ham bake,
Fish & chips (Friday haha)
Fetta cheese salad & bread
We spend around $250/300 a week 2 adults 1 young adult (eats more than me lol) & 1 9yr old p/t. My poor hubby has a heart attack every week lol xx
Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:01 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

About $170 a week.
2 adults, 2 teens, a 4 YO, a dog and 5 chooks

Hubby does the shopping on a saturday, if I do it it ends in a row
He goes to the farmers market for fruit and veg, then into Aldi for everything else except what he cant get in Aldi, then nips next door into Woolies.

We buy 1/2 hind of cow and 1/2 a lamb in bulk, grass fed, groomed daily type things..($250 from local butcher) and then chicken breast/ fish/ bacon off the deli when we need it.

This includes lunches for everyone and one take away a week.

Vege patch is up and running and we get 4 eggs a day so I'm looking at recipies for eggs and zucchinis
Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Vege patch is up and running and we get 4 eggs a day so I'm looking at recipies for eggs and zucchinis
Good website for recipes, such as this one:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3...gette-frittata
Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:55 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: family of 3 weekly supermarket cost QLD

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
We're in SA and we spend between $250-$270 per week (Coles online; delivered to the door) for two adults, a toddler and a baby.

We grow a lot of our own vegetables (lettuce, spinach, silverbeet, carrots, capsicums, peas, beans, cucumbers) which helps to keep costs down. Looking forward to our first pumpkin.
Mrs Stampede has just corrected me: we spend $270-$300 per fortnight.

Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

That is awesome. It just shows how expensive fruit and veggies are.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by KatieStar
That is awesome. It just shows how expensive fruit and veggies are.
I thought they were cheap, well, until the floods altered the pricing structure...

Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Mrs Stampede has just corrected me: we spend $270-$300 per fortnight.

Quite a difference

Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hevs
I'm looking at recipies for eggs and zucchinis
So are we. Forget to pick them and you have a huge bomb on your hands!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.