Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

family of 3 weekly supermarket cost QLD

family of 3 weekly supermarket cost QLD

Old Jan 15th 2011, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute
Default family of 3 weekly supermarket cost QLD

My wife and I have had a lively "discussion" on the weekly grocery bill including cleaning products and other necessary items.

I have not yet sat down to do an objective analysis of the average cost per week but one of us thinks it seems excessive and the other one of us says do the !!!!!!!!!! shopping yourself if you think you can do better.

We both work full time so spending time searching out the best deals is not really on the cards but it would be interesting to know what other people spend on the weekly shop.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:17 am
Just Joined

cacwns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: family of 3 weekly supermarket cost QLD

We spend around $280 per week (2 adults & 3 kids) on shopping but that is shopping at Aldi & buying fresh fruit at market and no luxuries. Shopping at Coles or Woolies would be much more expensive.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:26 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: family of 3 weekly supermarket cost QLD

We're in SA and we spend between $250-$270 per week (Coles online; delivered to the door) for two adults, a toddler and a baby.

We grow a lot of our own vegetables (lettuce, spinach, silverbeet, carrots, capsicums, peas, beans, cucumbers) which helps to keep costs down. Looking forward to our first pumpkin.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

Between $300 and $400 per week for us (2 adults and three kids aged 6, 4 and 2) and most of my shopping is done at Woolies (Manly) because it's convenient. I believe that the prices at most shopping centres such as Woolies, IGA and Coles are partly determined by which area you are shopping in. Go to a cheap area and you'll find the prices, in say Woolies, will be cheaper than Woolies in a more expensive area!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by neil248
My wife and I have had a lively "discussion" on the weekly grocery bill including cleaning products and other necessary items.

I have not yet sat down to do an objective analysis of the average cost per week but one of us thinks it seems excessive and the other one of us says do the !!!!!!!!!! shopping yourself if you think you can do better.

We both work full time so spending time searching out the best deals is not really on the cards but it would be interesting to know what other people spend on the weekly shop.
Sounds like our house and you can gurantee when OH comes with me the bill goes up and then he moans about the cost. Our bill is about $450 when I am not being frugal and $250 when I am - four adults, two dogs. I blame the dogs

Mx
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We spend $200 a week for two adults and two teenagers. This is at Woolies or Coles and we buy plenty of fresh fruit, veg and meat
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mand8002
We spend $200 a week for two adults and two teenagers. This is at Woolies or Coles and we buy plenty of fresh fruit, veg and meat
Seriously it would be good to see your shopping list. Might have to call you as a witness in the divorce court though.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously it would be good to see your shopping list. Might have to call you as a witness in the divorce court though.
We always write the menu for the week as I find this prevents overbuying. This weeks menu includes:

Burgers and salad
Spaghetti bolognese
Cantonese chicken with rice
Chicken, potatoes, veg and gravy
Beef with bok choy and oyster sauce with rice
Steak and chips
Fish and leek pie

We find buying cooked meat from the deli section is cheaper than the pre packed section and limit ourselves to 6 bottles of soft drink a week.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:50 am
ABCDiamond

Between Oct-Dec we spent $110pw using credit card, on food and household expenses, as follows:

$163 ALDI
$303 Butchers
$145 Fruit and Veg Shop
$390 Woolworths
$425 Coles ( I didn't think I went there that often)
-------
$1,425 for 13 weeks
= $110 per week
+ I spend up to another $100 in cash each week.

So up to $210 pw for the 4 of us. 3 Adults and 1 x 14year old.

Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on the side of the "one" saying do the !!!!!!!! Shopping yourself... Whoever that may be... Couldn't possibly even TRY to guess..

when you both work full time And time is short its much harder to shop economically... Time spent looking to save money is costly.

Of course You also have to understand that clinique cosmetics and designer shoes ARE essential weekly shopping items for some of us girls.. OK?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice

We are in Victoria
We spend aprox $300 per week on groceries for 2 adults and a toddler (this includes diapers which are ridiculously expensive). We shop at Coles, which is the only supermarket in our town. We have been meaning to make a trip into Melbourne to Costco to see if we can stock up on some bulk non perishables.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

About 280 a week, 2 adult 2 teens. Thats healthy food, combo of markets, aldi, and specials from coles and woolworth.

I expect it to rise pretty much overnight, if the news is a guide, someone at the fruit and veg markets was saying if it was $10 a box it will soon be $40 a box.

Yes I know we had floods, however I dont really think everything we ate came from queensland. In fact in a discussion on this matter last night we pulled 25 items from the kitchen and only two items were from queensland.

Produce we buy from local farmers markets is of course from qld, but most had stock on saturday and are already planting again. Wet but not wiped out. However prices were pretty much up all round, i would say there were double the amount of people there on saturday.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

Where on earth can you all afford that much on groceries???

For 2 adults we roughly spend $130 - $150

That's going to Aldi, Iga and local market.

Kim
Old Jan 17th 2011, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lynetteh
We are in Victoria
We spend aprox $300 per week on groceries for 2 adults and a toddler (this includes diapers which are ridiculously expensive). We shop at Coles, which is the only supermarket in our town. We have been meaning to make a trip into Melbourne to Costco to see if we can stock up on some bulk non perishables.
Lucky you, i loved costco back in Scotland, did spend way too much but what a choice.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimandken
Where on earth can you all afford that much on groceries???

For 2 adults we roughly spend $130 - $150

That's going to Aldi, Iga and local market.

Kim
Does your bill include all meals throughout the week? Or do you buy lunch when you are at work? If you do, then your bill should include that.

With children, it seems that the bills increase dramatically. I've found that I waste more since I've had children as they won't eat what I give them half of the time and it ends up in the bin.

These days I mostly feed them fish fingers, homemade veg purée, cereals, baked beans, bananas and sandwiches. That's all they eat and I don't waste my time and money preparing lovely home cooked stuff that they'll refuse - and they go to bed hungry when they do that btw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.