Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family of 3 in Perth - Money

Family of 3 in Perth - Money

Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family of 3 in Perth - Money

Originally Posted by acotiga View Post
Thanks for the concern. However, I'm not making the mistake of leting the house in a suburb based on the sum of money I'll bring with me but on possible salary in Oz. The state of unemployment is a temporary one and that's different from living for at least two years.

I'm not gonna get my daughter in private school now, for crying out loud, but I am gonna get informed on the better schools because those are going to dictate the suburb, that are going to dictate the amount of money that are going to dictate....you get the picture.

And yes, I have researched http://www.domain.com.au/Search/rent...omo&displmap=0. but i think this is better http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/pr...ce=refinements
It may take you a couple of leases in more modest properties before you can get to where you want to be. You don't have to live near private schools to go to them, but it can be hard for the child to fit in socially with the other kids. I've heard good reports about Penrhos, but like many other private schools, it can be hard to get a place, even if you have got the money.

Como is close to the CBD, river and southern train line. Lots of units/flats to choose from. Also very close to the freeway, so traffic noise and pollution can be an issue.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 9:04 am
Account Closed

Kayelem is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. We Arrived here a month ago 2 adults and 3 kids NOR here as a guide as to what we are spending or have spent so far.

Short term renatl $600 per week.

we are spending $200 on grocery shopping per week and that is the minimal stuff we need no extra special treats I would have bought in the UK.

School uniforms for 3 kids came to $350 plus voluntary fees which we felt obliged to pay and came to $350. Stationary/book lists came to a small fortune about $200 for the 3 of them.

Car $3000 for a banger and petrol which is cheaper than UK, car insurance for 2 $280.

Trips to Kmart for basics for rental till furniture came 4 blow up beds, pump duvets, sheets, pillows, toaster, cuttlery, pans, sleeping bags cause it is freezing, plates, bowls etc. Kmart I have found really good and cheap. Then second hand sofas as we really could not manage without somewhere to sit in an evening and a patio set which we are using as a dining table for now all a came to about $600. Rental washing machine $160 for a month. We bought a second hand tv for $20 out of Quokker and its fab. Second hand fridge freezer $500

Bond for long term rental house $1650, rent $430 a week

$1300 quarantine costs for 1 dog.

We have had 1 take away $45 and 1 trip to the cinema but didn't have popcorn or drinks $52 just to do something "normal" that we would take for granted in the UK.

Beer and wine limited to weekend only as we think it is expensive.

Police and children checks for my job $100.

Pre pay phone sims
pre pay internet can't remeber how much

There are other bits and bibs that do add up such as train fares, parking, extras from the supermarket, the odd Mcdonalds.

OH has a job now so hopefully can relax now and have a little fun.

We managed and still have money left. We haven't sold our house in the UK so our funds were not a vast ammount but enough to see us through.

Good luck I hope some of what I have listed will help. I'll probably think of other expenses I've missed out.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

We dont have children and live a south of Perth - Mandurah which i think is great for families as it allows one to have a property that is close to the beach without paying stupid amounts of money.

We pay $325 per week for a large house with three double bedrooms. The cost of living is very subjective. What i would say though is that you will need a minimum of $1000 per week.

You say you might have about $17k and i would say you can do it on that. It wont leave much left over towards buying a car or household items, but hey, that can be part of the adventure. When we first arrived in Sydney a couple of years ago we had about $8k. I was starting work within 2 weeks, but we had no furnishings of any description. Not so much as a cup and we managed.

If you have the opportunity give it a go a. Look us up when you arrive. We have friends from a mixed bag of different nationalities, mainly latin american but you would be welcome.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

acotiga will become famous soon enough

Thanks a lot you guys. Your experiences really help.

And verystormy, thanks for the invite. We will.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Tracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pomtastic View Post
After initial set up costs, I'd say $800 a week bare minimum, $300 rent for a 2/3 bed place in a downmarket suburb, $200 food (basic food, nothing flash)and petrol, $300 for bills and other expenses like doctors visits, dental, unexpected costs etc.
I'll agree with this. We are a family of 3. Our shopping bill averages $200-250a week. The average rent is now $400 a week NOR, my petrol is $40 a week, and I drive to Balcatta for work, so that's pretty good, ( I drive a Honda Jazz, so I guess petrol reflects on the car you drive)

Get Skype for phone calls to the UK, your'll save loads. Our internet is $60 a month.

Good Luck!