Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fake tan, is it easy to buy it in Australia?

Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

choccybicciebribe will become famous soon enough
Default Fake tan, is it easy to buy it in Australia?

Hi,
I am spending a month in Australia soon and wondered if it is easy to buy fake tanning cream there? Do many people use it instead of sitting in the sun.
The reason that I ask is because I have a large birthmark over my body which I like to try to cover as much as possible. I know they are widely available in the U.K. but the ones I tend to use are expensive here £25 etc. Does anyone know of any good darker tanners that they would recommend. I was thinking that they may be cheaper? over there too. It would save me having to carry extra bottles around if I can get them there.

Many thanks for any advice
Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

denkar101 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fake tan, is it easy to buy it in Australia?

Originally Posted by choccybicciebribe
Hi,
I am spending a month in Australia soon and wondered if it is easy to buy fake tanning cream there? Do many people use it instead of sitting in the sun.
The reason that I ask is because I have a large birthmark over my body which I like to try to cover as much as possible. I know they are widely available in the U.K. but the ones I tend to use are expensive here £25 etc. Does anyone know of any good darker tanners that they would recommend. I was thinking that they may be cheaper? over there too. It would save me having to carry extra bottles around if I can get them there.

Many thanks for any advice
Hi,
Yes, there are many products available.
http://www.australiangold.com/outdoo...r_tanning.html
Is just one example. Google is your best mate, lol.
Hope this helps,
Dennis
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:17 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denkar101
Hi,
Yes, there are many products available.
http://www.australiangold.com/outdoo...r_tanning.html
Is just one example. Google is your best mate, lol.
Hope this helps,
Dennis
One Australian wag said: "If it rains at the Melbourne Cup , the Yara River overflows with fake tan."

Not only can you get it, it's de rigeur where the sun doesn't shine.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I have been unable to find St Tropez anywhere though, had to get my mum to bring some out! but yeah its well used over here, spray tans too.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:34 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of shops round here have St Tropez so they definitely have it in Aus.

I should think more people use fake tan here than in the UK to be honest. Strangely many people don't want cancer so don't do the sunbaking thing.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:36 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, lots of orange people around here, and St Tropez in the shops.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

i had a spray tan done the other week - and i was not orange and i know where to get my hands on st trops as well so they sell it over here in perth
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Just Adelaide then! (sigh)
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:52 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Absolutely.

Especially in Sydney where everybody has their skin painted pumpkin orange!!
Old Nov 5th 2008, 3:12 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Right - Fake tans....some look nearly real, maybe 80-90% real.

But then there are others that are blatantly orange!!! They look awful.

My question is - if you were going to get a fake tan, why would you opt for the "orange" shade?

My other question is - why do australians call it "sun baking" instead of "sunbathing"?
Old Nov 5th 2008, 3:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood

My question is - if you were going to get a fake tan, why would you opt for the "orange" shade?

My other question is - why do australians call it "sun baking" instead of "sunbathing"?
I guess some people like the orange look

I think sunbake sounds better than sun bathe. People do bake and roast rather than bathe in cancer rays. Bathe sounds quite gentle. Bake sounds like it's not good for you
Old Nov 5th 2008, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Because you end up being crispy here
Old Nov 5th 2008, 3:32 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I think sunbake sounds better than sun bathe. People do bake and roast rather than bathe in cancer rays. Bathe sounds quite gentle. Bake sounds like it's not good for you
very true. You can probably bathe gently in the sunshine on the south coast of england, but sitting on main beach at midday on a sunny day....bake is probably an understatement!

When I first got over here, I played golf on a cloudy, rainy december day....forgot to put any suntan lotion on.....got back home and I was as red as a tomato.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 3:33 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
Because you end up being crispy here
I have seen a few older people around that look a little bit crusty.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen a few older people around that look a little bit crusty.
and some young people too - they do seem to age over here far quicker than uk - especially people who sunbaked while they were younger

i was talking to an aussie friend the other day and told her about buying factor 2 and factor 4 and she was horrified and asked - why ? and i could not answer her

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.