Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Failed Visa ............. underweight/overweight?

Failed Visa ............. underweight/overweight?

Old Apr 21st 2006, 12:06 pm
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all
Wink Failed Visa ............. underweight/overweight?

Hi

Have been listening on the news where a woman has failed her medical for being underweight and this has the potential to affect her Australian Visa.

Can anyone tell me if Medicals can be failed for being underweight / overweight. If yes, how much overweight can you go before failing?

Wondering how long I have to lose weight!!!!!

Just another thing to worry about.

Ali X
Old Apr 21st 2006, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Failed Visa ............. underweight/overweight?

Originally Posted by Mark & Ali
Hi

Have been listening on the news where a woman has failed her medical for being underweight and this has the potential to affect her Australian Visa.

Can anyone tell me if Medicals can be failed for being underweight / overweight. If yes, how much overweight can you go before failing?

Wondering how long I have to lose weight!!!!!

Just another thing to worry about.

Ali X

It's not so much being under/over weight. It's more about the medical implications of it.

For example if you are overwight, but otherwise healthy then you should be OK. If however you have medical problems related to being overweight then they MAY refuse your visa because of the potential cost of treating these conditions.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 2:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
It's not so much being under/over weight. It's more about the medical implications of it.

For example if you are overwight, but otherwise healthy then you should be OK. If however you have medical problems related to being overweight then they MAY refuse your visa because of the potential cost of treating these conditions.
In this case there just must be more to it - Spouse visas have a kind of health waiver on them, so that you can get in with more serious issues than if you were on a Skills visa.
I can't imagine that they would refuse PR as a spouse, with a child here too, purely on the grounds of being underweight - note that in the article on Yahoo it says she refused to go for more tests. Why refuse if she has nothing to hide?
Mind you, the article isn't too accurate, as the writer clearly doesn't understand the difference between PR and being a citizen.....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21042006/35...ustralian.html
Old Apr 21st 2006, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
In this case there just must be more to it - Spouse visas have a kind of health waiver on them, so that you can get in with more serious issues than if you were on a Skills visa.
I can't imagine that they would refuse PR as a spouse, with a child here too, purely on the grounds of being underweight - note that in the article on Yahoo it says she refused to go for more tests. Why refuse if she has nothing to hide?
Mind you, the article isn't too accurate, as the writer clearly doesn't understand the difference between PR and being a citizen.....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21042006/35...ustralian.html

Yes, totally agree about spouse visa's. I also agree that the woman in that article must be hiding something. After all most people do whatever it takes to get there if that's what they want.

I didn't think to write any of that, I was basing my answer on the OP being on either a sponsered or skilled visa. I noticed from her profile that she is joining her brother in Australia.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 10:48 pm
It's got to be purple....

wsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Yes, totally agree about spouse visa's. I also agree that the woman in that article must be hiding something. After all most people do whatever it takes to get there if that's what they want.

I didn't think to write any of that, I was basing my answer on the OP being on either a sponsered or skilled visa. I noticed from her profile that she is joining her brother in Australia.

That story was on the news here ..... the woman in question was already living in Australia and I think the problem was that she was so thin the doctors thought she must be anorexic or something.....which could obviously result in large medical bills if she got to the point where she needed medical treatment.

Quote............Mrs Evans said: "When they do the health checks, they do your height for weight, and if it comes out too low, obviously they don't take into consideration anything else. It's just if you don't match their figures, you're out, basically." This is rubbish.....if you don't "match their figures" then they have to do further tests or get more information and the fact that she refused to do this obviously didn't help her case.

Being overweight or underweight doesn't mean an automatic fail. I was overweight at my medical and I got my Spouse Visa within 2 weeks.

Wendy
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

...........all I can say on the subject is that I wish I was just a 'tiddley' bit underweight!!!!!