Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Failed at the first hurdle

Failed at the first hurdle

Old Mar 23rd 2012, 8:09 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Failed at the first hurdle

Got a toilet, the cistern has stopped filling with water, want to take the lid off to see what's happening but the bugger wont open. Anyone know how to open this kind of lid without breaking anything? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Failed at the first hurdle-imga0669.jpg  
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Failed at the first hurdle

Originally Posted by paulry
Got a toilet, the cistern has stopped filling with water, want to take the lid off to see what's happening but the bugger wont open. Anyone know how to open this kind of lid without breaking anything? Thanks
Well usually you just grab the sides of top of cistern and lift, sometimes requires a bit of jiggling (the lid ). Or do you have to unscrew the silver bit as well?

Have toilets become more complicated now?? If so ring the retailer.

However being OZ you probably have to apply to the govt first now to remove the lid
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Option 1.

The one we had in England required Blu-tack to stick to and pull the buttons out. Then there was a screw holding the silver button holder and lid in place. Remove screw and silver thing should come out then the lid should come off.

Option 2.

Sledge hammer.

Last edited by Alfresco; Mar 23rd 2012 at 9:10 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

shackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to all

Try turner the silver part by unscrewing the outer ring. The whole silver part, including the buttons will unscrew and then the lid will come off.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:36 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Well usually you just grab the sides of top of cistern and lift, sometimes requires a bit of jiggling (the lid ). Or do you have to unscrew the silver bit as well?

Have toilets become more complicated now?? If so ring the retailer.

However being OZ you probably have to apply to the govt first now to remove the lid
Thanks, Alfrescos blue tac trick worked - thank goodness we also brought that in the container

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Option 1.

The one we had in England required Blu-tac to stick to and pull the buttons out. Then there was a screw holding the silver button holder and lid in place. Remove screw and silver thing should come out then the lid should come off.

Option 2.

Sledge hammer.
Thanks, Option one worked! (another beer credit coming your way )

Hurdle number two: The mechanism inside is tower-like not the type that I was previously familiar with. Turns out there is water inisde the cistern after all - it's the push buttons that aren't working. Before I register a maintenance request with the estate agent - any suggestions for how to fix it myself?

PS: Option 2 above looks like a viable alternative
Attached Thumbnails Failed at the first hurdle-imga0670.jpg  
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by shackybracky
Try turner the silver part by unscrewing the outer ring. The whole silver part, including the buttons will unscrew and then the lid will come off.
Alfrescos suggestion worked, thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Alfrescos blue tac trick worked - thank goodness we also brought that in the container

Thanks, Option one worked! (another beer credit coming your way )

Hurdle number two: The mechanism inside is tower-like not the type that I was previously familiar with. Turns out there is water inisde the cistern after all - it's the push buttons that aren't working. Before I register a maintenance request with the estate agent - any suggestions for how to fix it myself?

PS: Option 2 above looks like a viable alternative

Awesome.

This is the part where you need a degree in quantum mechanics...

Remove the top part where the button rods go in and give a really good clean and remove anything like limescale causing the buttons to not push the plunger down.

Test pushing the plunger down with a screw driver to see if that flushes. If that works then the plunger is working fine. If not then investigate further.

TIP: Remember exactly how everything comes apart so you can put it back together. Take photos if need be.

Old Mar 23rd 2012, 10:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Awesome.

This is the part where you need a degree in quantum mechanics...

Remove the top part where the button rods go in and give a really good clean and remove anything like limescale causing the buttons to not push the plunger down.

Test pushing the plunger down with a screw driver to see if that flushes. If that works then the plunger is working fine. If not then investigate further.

TIP: Remember exactly how everything comes apart so you can put it back together. Take photos if need be.

Hmmm... Knowing my luck I'll remove one screw and the whole mechanism will collapse into a heap of springs, washers, cogs and othet bits and pieces. Methnks this is the time to get out while I can by replacing the lid and calling the estate agent to get it fixed.

But thanks for your help.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hmmm... Knowing my luck I'll remove one screw and the whole mechanism will collapse into a heap of springs, washers, cogs and othet bits and pieces. Methnks this is the time to get out while I can by replacing the lid and calling the estate agent to get it fixed.

But thanks for your help.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 11:17 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you apply to the relevant local Government department for a permit to work on the toilet unassisted, in about 6 or 7 weeks when you receive the permit get take a screwdriver and proceed to poke and prod things inside the cistern, evrry now and then just shake your head. Then charge yourself $200.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I suggest you apply to the relevant local Government department for a permit to work on the toilet unassisted, in about 6 or 7 weeks when you receive the permit get take a screwdriver and proceed to poke and prod things inside the cistern, evrry now and then just shake your head. Then charge yourself $200.
Dont laugh, we wanted to put 2 sheets of wall cladding under the house, approval was going to be $880.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 6:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by chris955

Dont laugh, we wanted to put 2 sheets of wall cladding under the house, approval was going to be $880.
Why was approval needed?
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:11 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly why we didnt bother getting anything council approved, i made sure all the work i have done is to the standard required but there was no way i was going to pay some pen pusher 100's to rubber stamp it.