British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Failed a Credit check, why?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/failed-credit-check-why-668301/)

Howard Jenings May 15th 2010 12:06 pm

Failed a Credit check, why??

My wife just tried to buy a mobile phone and they had to carry out a credit check, she failed. Not sure why we have been in Aus 15 months, she has no other credit at all she is working full-time, anyone any ideas why??

spalen May 15th 2010 12:21 pm

Re: Failed a Credit check, why??

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings (Post 8566688)
My wife just tried to buy a mobile phone and they had to carry out a credit check, she failed. Not sure why we have been in Aus 15 months, she has no other credit at all she is working full-time, anyone any ideas why??

was it virgin? they did that to us as well - it was a mistake.... try again- phone the company direct rather than buying through one of those little shops/stores and you should be ok.

Howard Jenings May 15th 2010 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by spalen (Post 8566705)
was it virgin? they did that to us as well - it was a mistake.... try again- phone the company direct rather than buying through one of those little shops/stores and you should be ok.

It was Virgin! It was an online purchase on their website. I have ordered one as well, it will be interesting to see if I get through the check. They did give my wife the number of the credit check company to phone on Monday to ask why.

canadaeh May 15th 2010 1:57 pm

It's because you need a credit report before you can get credit, so because your wife had no credit it means she had no credit report. Once it is created (which it will be now as Virgin did the enquiry) she shouldn't have a problem now.

It's just because the way the system works here and a computer decides.

Once you apply for one thing then you are fine, but don't apply for more than 3 things in a 6 month period, that usualy gets you a rejection.

Several years ago to get my credit card, as I didn't have a credit report all I did was apply online for the card (which then created a credit report) I was rejected, then 5 min later applied again (differebt bank) and was approved.

Centurion May 15th 2010 2:20 pm

Also, I recall getting a phone with telstra turned down. Apparently I'm a 67 year old Tasmanian woman who hasn't been paying her account according to them. Took several days to sort out and highlight the error of their ways and several offers to come into the store to prove my manhood or show it ;)

Pollyana May 15th 2010 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 8566888)
Also, I recall getting a phone with telstra turned down. Apparently I'm a 67 year old Tasmanian woman who hasn't been paying her account according to them. Took several days to sort out and highlight the error of their ways and several offers to come into the store to prove my manhood or show it ;)

:lol: Love it, good old Hellstra :rolleyes:

concretepump May 15th 2010 4:23 pm

that's why for you to have a loan credit card ect you are using every month they like to see you paying money into different accounts that's how you get good credit, you you don't pay for any thing you have bad credit crazey i know but thats what makes the world go round

LouiseR May 16th 2010 12:30 am

I have a mobile with Virgin on contract, they told us they automatically turn down anyone who hasn't been resident for 2 years.

So when I applied, my year in Australia turned into two... ;)

Wol May 16th 2010 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Louiseh86 (Post 8567645)
I have a mobile with Virgin on contract, they told us they automatically turn down anyone who hasn't been resident for 2 years.

So when I applied, my year in Australia turned into two... ;)

We got Virgin phones on our brief validation visit - in some ways wish we hadn't since they use Optus and the coverage drops out all the time in Sydney - you can receive a dozen calls and they cut out after ten seconds almost every time.

Gems May 16th 2010 1:20 am

Ive got an iphone with Virgin.
We had no problems getting it. However have been in Aus about 2half years when we got it.

Gems

LouiseR May 16th 2010 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 8567673)
We got Virgin phones on our brief validation visit - in some ways wish we hadn't since they use Optus and the coverage drops out all the time in Sydney - you can receive a dozen calls and they cut out after ten seconds almost every time.

Pay as you go or contract?

Gems May 16th 2010 1:42 am

Well Im contract with Virgin and live rural WA, and had no problems with calls.

Gems

kar-kier May 16th 2010 1:48 am

Hubby got his contact with Virgin once we had been here 3 months - no probs at all! They wouldn't give me contract (as I don't work much) but they did agree to put me on hubby's contract, if he paid his bills on time for 3 months! Kept to their word and I got my shiny new iPhone 3 months after hubby got his!

northernbird May 16th 2010 1:54 am

Are you permanent residents? This will make a difference.

Wol May 16th 2010 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Louiseh86 (Post 8567701)
Pay as you go or contract?

PAYG I wouldn't want to be tied to a contract - I only use the mobile once or twice a month (excluding all the cut-off calls <g>.)