Factor 50

Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Factor 50

I can't find any! Do they not make it in Oz? My son was burnt slightly yesterday on factor 30.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Factor 50

Originally Posted by Kingseat
I can't find any! Do they not make it in Oz? My son was burnt slightly yesterday on factor 30.
Apparently they don't sell it in Australia, They do make 30+ which is meant to be as strong as 50 but they can't call it 50...
Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

may be the stuff I used was too old. I am burnt too
Old Oct 1st 2009, 3:30 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with Louise. I've yet to see anything higher than a 30, so I'm sure it's only 30+ you'll see in the stores.

My daughter got burnt last week too (just a little). We were at the waterpark for about 4 hours and I probably should put extra sunscreen on when we at lunch. I've always found the 30+ to work pretty well. But you do need to put it on a good layer and let it sink in, plus reapply it after a few hours if you're still out in the sun (or water).
Old Oct 1st 2009, 4:20 am
ABCDiamond

Sunscreens sold in Australia must be labeled with an SPF rating of at least 4, up to a maximum of 30+.
Sunscreens of less than SPF 15 offer only moderate to low protection

Use of sunscreens with a higher SPF rating than SPF 30+ is not generally recommended as they may not provide much greater protection but require an increased amount of active chemicals which may irritate some sensitive skins.

SPF4 = 75 % UVR blocked
SPF8 = 87 % UVR blocked
SPF15 = 93 % UVR blocked
SPF30 = 96 % UVR blocked
SPF30+ = over 96% ?

Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA),
http://www.arpansa.gov.au/uvrg/rginfo_p13.cfm

Old Oct 1st 2009, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Seem to remember back in 96 the highest factor being in the teens..Whatever never use the stuff..but take care not to burn but do get a tan with the upmost of ease.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

overthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to all

i also looked for it but couldn't get any my kids are both fair but the 30+ works fine, failing that how about getting someone to send factor 50 to you from the UK or if you have rellies coming get them to take it over
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes going to do that. Got the MIL for 3 months in December so will get her to bring some of the stuff I use on my son.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by overthemoon
failing that how about getting someone to send factor 50 to you from the UK
The UK (Europe) and Australia have different ways of defining SP factors. (I am sure ABCD can find us the links ).

In other words a UK sunscreen with factor 50, is similar to an Australian one with factor 30+. There is therefore really no point in getting UK sunscreen shipped out to you.

Instead make sure that whatever sunscreen you use it blocks UVA and UVB. And make sure it is waterproof. AND re-apply regularly (most bottles say you should re-apply every 2 hours). And remember that no sunscreen offers 100% protection ...
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Try and get the cancer council products (available at Big W etc as well as the cancer council shops) Their ultra/ultimate products (30+) are great....

They wont sell 30+ in australia as they dont wish to lull you into a false sense of security so 30+ is the maximum.

However, sun screen does not last indefinitely so if it was an older one then that wouldnt be as effective....
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:52 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Katherined0
Try and get the cancer council products (available at Big W etc as well as the cancer council shops) Their ultra/ultimate products (30+) are great....

They wont sell 30+ in australia as they dont wish to lull you into a false sense of security so 30+ is the maximum.

However, sun screen does not last indefinitely so if it was an older one then that wouldnt be as effective....
I find the Cancer Council factor 30+ really great too.. I do use Big W or Coles own brands too, but the Cancer Council blue one (can't remember the exact name) is excellent when you are in water or a bit sweaty

Em x
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:56 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Use olive oil. Make sure it is extra virgin though the ordinary stuff is only spf 25.....
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:34 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Use olive oil. Make sure it is extra virgin though the ordinary stuff is only spf 25.....
you may laugh but I remember my grandmother using the small bottle of olive oil she had for exactly this purpose on my brother and I when we were kids!

thankfully it was only scottish sun so not so hot
Old Oct 1st 2009, 11:15 am
native West Aussie

Genevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant future

This one caught my attention!

Make sure you reapply sunscreen every two hours. If you're in the water, it washes off; if you're out of the water, it sweats off. Either way, regular reapplication is needed. Also Aussie kids are brought up with the 'slip, slop, slap' message - slip on a tshirt, slop on some sunscreen, and slap on a hat.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:54 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
The UK (Europe) and Australia have different ways of defining SP factors. (I am sure ABCD can find us the links ).
Actually I have been looking, but I can't find the exact UK info. I also 'feel' that a 30+ will probably be very similar to the 50, but I would like to be able to confirm it, one way or the other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.