Face facts

Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Face facts

Lets be honest for a moment Australia is a third rate excuse for a country, whose insecurity as a nation is so pathetic that its national pastime is POM bashing. My time spent there was a real eye opener and made me reflect on what made Britain so far superior.

After time spent in the paradise that is OZ
I really appreciate the following about Blighty (in no particular order)

A lot of intelligent people with a great sense of humour

Proper pubs with great beer and atmosphere

Superb supermarkets

Excellent Indian Restaurants

Proper chip shops

Great media especially Radio and TV

Cheap holidays to Europe

Fairly Liberal, open minded population (compared to OZ a million miles away)

Long light Summer evenings

Good working conditions (especially holiday/sick pay)

The beautiful villages and winding country roads

Camping in the Brecon Beacons

The realisation that to complain about something is not anti Strylian.

Being able to have a picnic in the park with a bottle of wine, without a copper telling me its illegal and I must pour it away!

Rush hour on the M25!!!

Cant have it all!! But on reflection the UK sure beats narrow minded, parochial, subarban boorish, racist OZ.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future
Default Re: Face facts

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Lets be honest for a moment Australia is a third rate excuse for a country, whose insecurity as a nation is so pathetic that its national pastime is POM bashing. My time spent there was a real eye opener and made me reflect on what made Britain so far superior.

Being able to have a picnic in the park with a bottle of wine, without a copper telling me its illegal and I must pour it away!

Rush hour on the M25!!!

Cant have it all!! But on reflection the UK sure beats narrow minded, parochial, subarban boorish, racist OZ.
May I ask where and how long your were in OZ?
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by darkless
May I ask where and how long your were in OZ?
Sydney and surrounds 2 and a half years.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:03 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

1.A lot of intelligent people with a great sense of humour

2.Excellent Indian Restaurants

3.Proper chip shops

4.Fairly Liberal, open minded population (compared to OZ a million miles away)

5.Good working conditions (especially holiday/sick pay)

6.Camping in the Brecon Beacons
In reply,

1. Once I move, the bias will move down under
2. Have you ever been to Shrewsbury?
3. Ditto
4. Ditto
5. Ever worked in the NHS?
6. In my experience of camping in Wales, it is never without at least a day's worth of catastrophic weather conditions ( and I speak as someone who has camped in Wales on an all too regular basis). Only the Gower seems to escape this negative weather phenomenon.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

You obviously had a bad time in OZ, did you consider moving within OZ to see if other places in OZ suited you better.

You said that all Aussies were narrow-minded etc, but surely you have not seen all of OZ, so it is a bit of a generalisation to assume this.

For example, I hate London and if I went to live there for 2 1/2 years I am sure I could come up with a list as long as yours - whereas I could move to somewhere else in the UK and love it. Do you see my point?
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:11 pm
ABCDiamond

I spent too long in Sydney aswell, and ended up not liking it, and then went back to the UK myself. I remember being very negative about the place. But, I came back and now live in QLD. A much better place for my personal tastes

I should have tried living in QLD before returning to the UK, but that's from the benefit of my own hindsight.

But.... we are all different, and not all of us will like the same things that others do.

each to their own

Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:13 pm
wombat42

Superb supermarkets

Excellent Indian Restaurants

Proper chip shops

Great media especially Radio and TV

Cheap holidays to Europe

Fairly Liberal, open minded population (compared to OZ a million miles away)

Long light Summer evenings

Good working conditions (especially holiday/sick pay)

The beautiful villages and winding country roads

Camping in the Brecon Beacons

Rush hour on the M25!!!

If Britain is so great then why does 50% of the population want to immigrate
and guess what the most popular destination for these immigrants is, Australia. People vote with their feet and they have voted that Australia is a better place to live, a fantastic climate, great beaches a booming economy
compared to freezing cold, small , polluted, overcrowded, conjested Britain.

Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:15 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
we are all different, and not all of us will like the same things that others do.

each to their own

Hear, hear. Met my hubby in Sydney 15 years ago, went back two years ago, decided NOT the place to live, now settled on Perth.
In the UK - lived in London for 12 years, now cannot imagine living there - dread every polluted, dirty visit!

As you say, each to their own!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:32 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Gald to see my compatriots pointed you in the right direction - seems they excelled in your case.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webgum
Hear, hear. Met my hubby in Sydney 15 years ago, went back two years ago, decided NOT the place to live, now settled on Perth.
In the UK - lived in London for 12 years, now cannot imagine living there - dread every polluted, dirty visit!

As you say, each to their own!
Without wishing to upset anyone.......and this is just a personal opinion....

I hated Sydney with a passion. It is not typical of Aus at all. I could also easily come up with a list of dislikes of Aus even longer than Eatstatic's. BUT......my list of likes and loves would be longer, and what is more, the point about different parts of the same country is completely valid. I also hate London and found it grey and miserable, which is why I now live in a beautiful little Kentish village.

Apologies for the stream of consciousness, it's late!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wombat42
If Britain is so great then why does 50% of the population want to immigrate
and guess what the most popular destination for these immigrants is, Australia. People vote with their feet and they have voted that Australia is a better place to live, a fantastic climate, great beaches a booming economy
compared to freezing cold, small , polluted, overcrowded, conjested Britain.
So 50% of poms want to move to OZ? Thats a scientific statistic , you will find that the POMs who wish to move there have never visited OZ. They are also likely to be Daily Mail readers who believe the drivel you have written about England.

So Britain is ALL polluted, congested, overcrowded and freezing? No of course it is not and you Wombat are a typical Aussie with a ridiculous idea of Britain.

London is pretty much as you described but so is Sydney and Melbourne. So Britain is freezing cold?? To an Aussie maybe, but I personally find the climate agreeable and the Aussie Summer months stifling and unpleasant.

BTW I travelled around most of Oz apart from WA and found the whole country to be rather backward, bland and suburban. Who cares about beaches and humid 40 degree days with 1000 flies and shit pubs. Give me the vibrant rat race of Blighty anyday. If any wannabee migrants wonder why I bemoan the Aussie people, just look at Wombats posts, these are the sort of worldly, enlightened people you are likely to encounter in Oz.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:41 pm
kneading my cushion

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I now live in a beautiful little Kentish village.

Apologies for the stream of consciousness, it's late!
Can you explain Kentish - does this mean it is like Kent, it is Kent like? Does that mean I live in a Shopshireish town. Kind of in Shropshire, but not confident, a bit shy, so won't commit fully
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:45 pm
wombat42

In 20 years from now Britain will just be one small provence in the European
Union and no longer an idependant country and won't even have its own currency, all decisions regarding immigration,defence the economy etc will be made for you other countries probably France and Germany, while Australia will still be an independant country. If Australia is a third rate excuse for a country as you say then atleast we will still be a country not a small provence in a European state.

Last edited by wombat42; Nov 16th 2004 at 11:52 pm.

Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webgum
Can you explain Kentish - does this mean it is like Kent, it is Kent like? Does that mean I live in a Shopshireish town. Kind of in Shropshire, but not confident, a bit shy, so won't commit fully
LOL, yes it's sort-of in Kent. The village of Wye to be exact. Slap bang in the middle of the North Downs and lots of wildlife to boot.....not that I'd boot it you understand....
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wombat42
In 20 years from now Britain will just be one small provence in the European
Union and no longer an idependant country and won't even have its own currency, all decisions regarding immigration, the economy etc will be made for you other countries probably France and Germany, while Australia will still be an independant country.
You truly are a fool.

Australia is not an independent country, the Queen of England is your head of state and you are ruled by her Governer General. Check your coins Wombat, you will see Lizzie beaming her mona lisa smile at you mate.

Therefore, by your calculations Australia will be ruled by those damned Frogs and Krauts by Proxy, namely by good old Blighty.

BTW, you had the chance to rid yourselves of Royal ascent 5 or so years back... just could'nt snip the colonial apron strings, good old Independent Australia!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.