Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fabulous Sunshine Coast School

Fabulous Sunshine Coast School

Old Dec 13th 2007, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

aleutian is on a distinguished road
Default Fabulous Sunshine Coast School

My husband, our children and I arrived on the Sunshine Coast over a year ago and after looking round a number of beautiful schools in the area, we decided upon Immanuel Lutheran in Buderim as my husband was brought up with an Anglican background. Our children have blossomed at the school into very happy and confident individuals. It seems quite different to their old school days in England. Although they attended a very prestigious school within the area, upon reflection it now appears very drab and somewhat 2D in comparison. The childrens lives have opened up in more ways than we ever could have dreamed of by the dedication of the warm and caring teaching staff and by the caring way in which the children at the school interact with each other. The other parents even went out of their way to include my husband and I in their social circles when we arrived and we are fully a part of the Immanuel community now. We have been amazed at the opportunities they have been faced with at the school from camp days to dress up's, talent shows, dance performances and I believe in a few years they will even be going off to a farm environment for a few weeks to develop team building and independence. Even outside of school their weekends are full of sporting activities and social get togethers. We can not praise the school highly enough and felt other people should know of the remarkable effect it has had on our family.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice
Default Re: Fabulous Sunshine Coast School

Great to hear positives like that and not worries that the education is not as good as England.

I think that a teacher is only as good as the studant, but saying that a good teacher will encourage the pupil to learn rather than try to force feed parot fashion.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Thats right, we were quite concerned that the childrens' schooling would suffer in the immigration process. We heard some shocking reports about Australian schooling, and it was a major consideration in our decision to remain in UK or to emigrate. We took a big gamble though and have been very lucky. There is a much larger emphasis on the 'whole child' over here, they value manners, respect and social relationships which I think sadly have been long forgotten in UK society now. In the UK their school seemed to focus on the academic aspects in the absence of everything else. In hindsight, there was a very slight pause in their academic progress when they initially started at the school but having spoken to the teachers I believe this is expected whilst a child adjusts to a new environment and it didn't last long. They have certainly made up for it now and have both surpassed all of our expectations, I very rarely even have to nag them to do their homework now as they are motivated enough to want do it. I only wish we had made the move sooner, if just for their education alone.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 6:57 am
Just Joined

tribbiani is an unknown quantity at this point

From what you say this is exactly what we are looking for. We came over before Christmas to get our passports stamped + we are moving over from England in the middle to the end of February. We have had a price accepted on a house in Buderim so hope nothing goes wrong. We are looking for a school with high academic records but also want the kids to really enjoy school as they don't want to leave their friends or our family here. The prospectus for Emmanuel Lutheran College looks good but they all do. Did the school help your kids integrate or were they just left to their own devices? We want a school where they will be looked after as its going to be a difficult move for them and all of the schools over here seem huge. There are only 200 kids at their school here.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

fific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to all

Matthew Flinders also a very good private school - we looked at all of them state and private and found that the kids quickly found the one they related to the most. Immanuel has a good name as does the Sunshine Grammar - and it was important to us to find a school where the kids could maintain their academic and social development, Flinders is that for us - but the good news is they are all good - so it's just a matter of choosing the one that works for you. I have met people who have gone for state schools and been happy and also private and been happy - Flinders is most like our kids grammar school in the Uk and I guess that's why we like it. My kids are older and going into sixth form so wanted to get it right for them to ensure they were well prepared for uni - having said that Sunshine Coast Uni is an excellent university so the area is establishing a great educational centre.

Originally Posted by tribbiani
From what you say this is exactly what we are looking for. We came over before Christmas to get our passports stamped + we are moving over from England in the middle to the end of February. We have had a price accepted on a house in Buderim so hope nothing goes wrong. We are looking for a school with high academic records but also want the kids to really enjoy school as they don't want to leave their friends or our family here. The prospectus for Emmanuel Lutheran College looks good but they all do. Did the school help your kids integrate or were they just left to their own devices? We want a school where they will be looked after as its going to be a difficult move for them and all of the schools over here seem huge. There are only 200 kids at their school here.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 12:51 am
Just Joined

mr-vmware is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask how do you select/choose schools in OZ (NSW in specific) as compared to UK. Like in UK you go to the catchment state school (primary and high), if kids are bright then they take 11+ exams and then depending on results can go to secondary grammer schools after primary education. What's the situation over there. Also, universities systems, are OZ university degrees acceptable worldwide?
Is the primary and high school education free in OZ and in what type of schools (state, grammer if any)? Any idea of private school fees schools.
(My kids are 10, 8 and 7 - and very bright acedemically)
Thanks.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

carolinelaurie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aleutian
My husband, our children and I arrived on the Sunshine Coast over a year ago and after looking round a number of beautiful schools in the area, we decided upon Immanuel Lutheran in Buderim as my husband was brought up with an Anglican background. Our children have blossomed at the school into very happy and confident individuals. It seems quite different to their old school days in England. Although they attended a very prestigious school within the area, upon reflection it now appears very drab and somewhat 2D in comparison. The childrens lives have opened up in more ways than we ever could have dreamed of by the dedication of the warm and caring teaching staff and by the caring way in which the children at the school interact with each other. The other parents even went out of their way to include my husband and I in their social circles when we arrived and we are fully a part of the Immanuel community now. We have been amazed at the opportunities they have been faced with at the school from camp days to dress up's, talent shows, dance performances and I believe in a few years they will even be going off to a farm environment for a few weeks to develop team building and independence. Even outside of school their weekends are full of sporting activities and social get togethers. We can not praise the school highly enough and felt other people should know of the remarkable effect it has had on our family.
I would like to add that i agree with all said here. My children started immanuel in september and i have found it to be a great school. my kids love it, the parents are all very friendly and go out their way to make you feel welcome. I looked at loads of schools both state and private in the area. It is heard as all the teachers, and heads are really nice. But as a parent you just know which is for you. For those that are looking at schooling here - My kids have never attended a private school before but it really is worth a look before you make a decision.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Did the school help your kids integrate or were they just left to their own devices? We want a school where they will be looked after as its going to be a difficult move for them and all of the schools over here seem huge

We had no problem with integration at all. The school had previously arranged a well suited buddy for each of the new children starting and they had to show them around, introduce them to their friends and just generally look after them for the first few weeks. It was a relief to have but in all honesty I'm not sure they actually needed them as they came home after their first day chatting about all their new friends and very informed about school procedures and routines. The teachers kept up very close contact with us too in the first couple of weeks to assure us that the children were settling in well and also to enquire about any worries or questions we may have about the school as parents, so despite all of my many worries about the big new start it all ran very smoothly without any problem. You'll find the teachers keep much closer contact with parents here than in UK. They will contact you by phone, or email if they need to speak to you and we were made welcome to do the same with them. You are even made welcome in the classes if you want to go in and help out. Again, we were very impressed and quite shocked at how smoothly it all occurred.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all

We've heard such good reports about Emmanual Lutheran College and are currently looking to change our daughter's present school, one of the things that is attracting us to Emmanual Lutheran is the class sizes are not to big unlike the present school she is at (over 30 in her class).

Paula.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

wadhamsfamily is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, just got our oz visas and have booked our flights for November 9th!! No need to tell anyone out there just how exciting yet frightening that feels. Sometimes feels like I'm floating on a cloud then 'bang' hollow felling inside!! Anyway back to the point. We are in the process of selecting schools - schools selecting us? Each school has requested a copy of my son's (AGE 9)most recent report. How much emphasis do the independent schools put on academic achievement? Thanks.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

wadhamsfamily is on a distinguished road

Hi, Just how religious is Immanuel Lutheran College?? We are not church goers and in fact my 9 year old, although I keep reminding him to keep an open mind, questions the existence in God?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Satch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to all

This sounds exactly what we are looking for. We have 3 daughters and this sounds like the perfect sort of school. Here's to hoping we end up in this area.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

scratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by aleutian
how much does it cost to sent your child to a school like Immanuel Lutheran?
sounds like the kind of school for my son.
what is it like in Buderim?

cheers
scratchey
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

carolinelaurie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scratchey
how much does it cost to sent your child to a school like Immanuel Lutheran?
sounds like the kind of school for my son.
what is it like in Buderim?

cheers
scratchey
Hi The school is fab. Cost depends on the year the child goes into. We pay for both our children just over $10,000 for the year ($2500 per term for both). You get a discount if you pay the fee up front and You also get a 5% discount for your second child.
The fees you pay include costs to camps and school trip etc so no extra to pay during term unless you need extra uniform or books.
All schools here you have to pay for their stationairy and you dont have to buy the school stationairy you can buy it any where although i have to say most of it is the same price (with the exception of the usb stick!!!). When we worked it out sending our kids here cost us less then when we sent them to nursery in the uk!!! The camps they go on are great and well organised.
If you have any questions please feel free to email me or private message me
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

fific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wadhamsfamily
Hi, Just how religious is Immanuel Lutheran College?? We are not church goers and in fact my 9 year old, although I keep reminding him to keep an open mind, questions the existence in God?
I believe fairly religious - best to hear from people whose kids go there, mine are at Matthew Flinders which is excellent. Anglican but not heavily religious. My advice is to look at Immanuel, Flinders and Sunshine Coast Grammar and you will know which is the right one for your children. However they are all good - so good posiiton to choose from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.