British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   F***ing magpies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/f%2A%2A%2Aing-magpies-843209/)

Grayling Sep 16th 2014 5:33 am

F***ing magpies

Just been attacked by a particularly nasty one while out on my bike:angry_smile:

It must have followed me for quarter of a mile constantly swooping

Don't ya just love the wildlife:banghead:

moneypenny20 Sep 16th 2014 5:42 am

Re: F***ing magpies

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 11406472)
Just been attacked by a particularly nasty one while out on my bike:angry_smile:

It must have followed me for quarter of a mile constantly swooping

Don't ya just love the wildlife:banghead:

You don't want to hear that I've just been feeding four of them on my verandah then? :lol:

Grayling Sep 16th 2014 5:43 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11406484)
You don't want to hear that I've just been feeding four of them on my verandah then? :lol:

We have several in our garden...but they don't attack....not yet anyway:unsure:

moneypenny20 Sep 16th 2014 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 11406485)
We have several in our garden...but they don't attack....not yet anyway:unsure:

All the ones we feed haven't attacked us. However we don't 'do' bikes. Become a lazy biatch like me and you'll never be attacked again. :lol:

jad n rich Sep 16th 2014 5:54 am

We have a kookaburra the teens used to feed bacon.

Its a nightmare now, smart but nasty, it knows the sound of the fridge door, thats its signal to arrive on the deck. If you put a plate of raw meat on the kitchen bench it swoops the window trying to get at it, if you move to the dining room it follows you to the deck there. I love the way on a day its pouring with rain, it sits on the deck all day, like why sit in a wet tree :lol:

The beak on a kookaburra looks lethal, reckon it will come through the flyscreens one day.

ozzieeagle Sep 16th 2014 6:08 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11406491)
All the ones we feed haven't attacked us. However we don't 'do' bikes. Become a lazy biatch like me and you'll never be attacked again. :lol:

They definitely wont attack you if they know you, It'll be interesting to see what happens when you get visitors though.

All I've got is bleeding Indian Mynahs, but I have a plan, which includes a very strong laser pointer coming in via mate from China.

Apparently that will shift erm. Then I might get the Magpies back. Would love to see a Kookaburra in our Garden.

Grayling Sep 16th 2014 6:13 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 11406511)
They definitely wont attack you if they know you, It'll be interesting to see what happens when you get visitors though.

All I've got is bleeding Indian Mynahs, but I have a plan, which includes a very strong laser pointer coming in via mate from China.

Apparently that will shift erm. Then I might get the Magpies back. Would love to see a Kookaburra in our Garden.

Our garden is pretty unique....it is about an acre, half of it is an old fruit plantation and it overlooks the bay.

We have logged over 100 bird species from our sitting room window and we have several nesting residents:thumbup:

We are now waiting for the Koel to turn up:banghead:

ozzieeagle Sep 16th 2014 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 11406513)
Our garden is pretty unique....it is about an acre, half of it is an old fruit plantation and it overlooks the bay.

We have logged over 100 bird species from our sitting room window and we have several nesting residents:thumbup:

Like the sound of that :thumbsup:

Our cause isn't helped by the presence of two agile female cats both aged under 5... Seems the Myna's are the only birds that aren't scared of them.

jothefw Sep 16th 2014 6:41 am

Hate Minahs and Magpies equally.

My youngest (then 10) got attacked in a park last year, did screaming laps whilst being swooped relentlessly.

Unfortunately his parents were completely useless and nearly reported to child services as incapable of assistance due to hysterical laughter. We'd just got to the park and the boys had hopped out and quickly run over whilst my husband and I got the stuff out of the car etc Anyway husband was doubled over laughing, I thought he was going to have a heart attack. After a couple of seconds, me saying, quick go help (I was the other side of the car from the park, with a load of shopping etc on my lap) a kind lady who was a little closer went into the park and scared the awful bird away.

No actual harm done to son but embarrassment. Our local paper does a hazard map each year to warn runners, riders and dog walkers!

Same son got his fingers snapped (drew blood) by a kookaburra one year, trying to hide a piece of cooked bacon behind his back from another kookaburra!! He must bring out the worst in birdlife!

BEVS Sep 16th 2014 10:02 am

What ! I mean what ?

Where are my pics.

You know I love birds :wub:

lesleys Sep 16th 2014 10:13 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11406484)

We have had 2 regulars and various offspring here to be fed since we moved in 8 years ago. Now there's only one of the old ones, but a few weeks ago we counted 13 others at the same time on the verandah. :nod:

spouse of scouse Sep 16th 2014 11:12 am

[QUOTE=ozzieeagle;11406511]They definitely wont attack you if they know you, It'll be interesting to see what happens when you get visitors though.
QUOTE]

True in a lot of cases ozzie, but unfortunately not all. I'd been feeding maggies on a 5 acre property for months - cheeky buggers got so familiar that they'd knock on the front door with their beaks when it was feeding time! Then they mated and had babies, and I got swooped every bloody time I went outside. Ungrateful buggers.

Merseygirl Sep 16th 2014 1:26 pm

Wow, that 's a pretty impressive number of garden birds. You will probably need a good pair of ear plugs once the Koel gets started :D

I get a number of parrots in my garden, the loudest of which are the Sulphur Crested Cockatoos. Boy, do those buggers know how to make noise!

quoll Sep 16th 2014 5:17 pm

Oh bugger, you had to mention the Koel! I'm going back to Canberra for a couple of weeks in Nov! I'd forgotten the damned Koel!

Sympathies for the magpie! I have vivid memories of being very pregnant and having to run from one bus stop to the next because of a voracious scooper at bus stop 1!

Grayling Sep 16th 2014 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Merseygirl (Post 11406987)
Wow, that 's a pretty impressive number of garden birds.

Indeed....but that also includes shore birds (the mudflats are at the end of the garden and we look over them at high tide)......and several different raptors.

We also seem to,get numbers of migrants passing through as we are next to the water:thumbup: