Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

F*$"!ing house buyers !!!!

F*$"!ing house buyers !!!!

Old Sep 16th 2005, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Angry F*$"!ing house buyers !!!!

Hi

So just had a call from estate agent, we exchanged contracts 12 weeks ago and are due to complete on Friday 23rd. He said there has been a problem with the mortgage paperwork his end ( apparently 12 f***ing weeks is not long enough) can we agree to go 1 more week. You might think this is not a big issue but he is a property developer and should know better.

So we phoned solicitor and she said she has been doing this for 12 years and nothing like this this happen to her before (great), so anyway she says he is liable for the rest of the deposit ( £19,000) and interest@ 8 % per day until he pays the outstanding amount or if he does not pay on completion day slap him with a notice before proceedings which will give him 10 days to pay he will still be liable for the above iinterestand the £100 fee for notice and any court cost , if i take him to court after the 10 days.

We phoned back the agent and said we want the balance of deposit by Thursday 22nd midday and then we would give him a further 7 days in which to pay but he would still be liable for the interest the 7 extra days.

Have we done the right thing???

Has this happen to anyone else??

Any advise???

Martin & co
Old Sep 16th 2005, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: F*$"!ing house buyers !!!!

Originally Posted by tabby
Hi

So just had a call from estate agent, we exchanged contracts 12 weeks ago and are due to complete on Friday 23rd. He said there has been a problem with the mortgage paperwork his end ( apparently 12 f***ing weeks is not long enough) can we agree to go 1 more week. You might think this is not a big issue but he is a property developer and should know better.

So we phoned solicitor and she said she has been doing this for 12 years and nothing like this this happen to her before (great), so anyway she says he is liable for the rest of the deposit ( £19,000) and interest@ 8 % per day until he pays the outstanding amount or if he does not pay on completion day slap him with a notice before proceedings which will give him 10 days to pay he will still be liable for the above iinterestand the £100 fee for notice and any court cost , if i take him to court after the 10 days.

We phoned back the agent and said we want the balance of deposit by Thursday 22nd midday and then we would give him a further 7 days in which to pay but he would still be liable for the interest the 7 extra days.

Have we done the right thing???

Any advise???

Martin & co
Hi Martin

This is what happened to us but it was quite a few years ago. And it was only 8 weeks not 12. Sounds like you've done everything we did - only thing is have you put in writing what you expect from your buyer. Do it or if you have to go court they'll hold it against you that nothing was put in writing.

Going to court is a pain up the arse for both sides so hopefully the threat of this will speed things up. We have just sued a customer for not paying my hubby for work he did. We went right up to the final process and the client ended up grovelling at our door asking for a deal

Hope it works out

Suzy x
Old Sep 17th 2005, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by suzy
Hi Martin

This is what happened to us but it was quite a few years ago. And it was only 8 weeks not 12. Sounds like you've done everything we did - only thing is have you put in writing what you expect from your buyer. Do it or if you have to go court they'll hold it against you that nothing was put in writing.

Going to court is a pain up the arse for both sides so hopefully the threat of this will speed things up. We have just sued a customer for not paying my hubby for work he did. We went right up to the final process and the client ended up grovelling at our door asking for a deal

Hope it works out

Suzy x
B U M P
Old Sep 18th 2005, 10:50 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tabby
Hi

I have my suspicions that this is about to happen to me, though we havn't even exchanged contracts yet.

I got the offer in June, from a buyer with nearly a 50% deposit and everything is ready to go - Searches done, contracts drawn up etc apart from one thing - Her mortgage company seem unwilling/unable to organise the survey. I don't understand the delay, but it's getting so frustrating for everybody: The estate agents and I want it sold, the buyer is desperate to move in and the solicitors are good to go too, yet there seems to be very little that either solicitors or estate agents can do about it.

House buying/selling in the this country is a complete farce in my opinion.

S
Old Sep 18th 2005, 11:26 am
Just Joined

stiv is an unknown quantity at this point

After a year on the market...eventually we were due to exchange & complete within a week...my buyer decided to pull out...! ...He knew I was moving to Oz, am currently living in Italy so am paying the mortgage on an empty property....he had me by the balls...!

I had to knock 10grand off for him to go through with it...blackmailing b@stard...! I was bloody angry & muttering that I hoped the thing fell down around his ears...

...but you know, a month later...I dont care...I have my money now...am looking for an apartment by the beach in Melbourne & move in 3 weeks....& spring is coming & he'll be in a damp old house in england thats losing value & I'll be slinging back cold beers in the sun....

who came off best in the end...?