Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Eyesight deteriorated since being in OZ?

Eyesight deteriorated since being in OZ?

Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:11 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eyesight deteriorated since being in OZ?

Who said that?

I obviously need to Bate more.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
As we have so many eye experts on BE, can you tell me, does touching oneself in a.. loving manner, actually affect your eyesight?
yes i'm afraid it does...when you get to the point that you're shouting "oh my god that feels so good", your eyes are actually closed so you are effectively blind...
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:46 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Do Australians have worse eyesight or more eye problems then people in the UK ? anyone got the statisitcs, l'm too lazy to look them up. the sun is stronger then the UK but lt would'nt it take 30 or 40 years to deteriorate your eyesight not 2 years.

Last edited by mohogony; Nov 6th 2009 at 7:05 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

ozhopeful will become famous soon enough

don't people get it, it's not the sun it's your age, the sun plays no part, it's not the sun, age, not sun nothing to do with the sun....

... getting the message?
Old Nov 6th 2009, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but you're all going to have to speak up a bit . . . it's my eyesight you see . . . never been the same since I moved here . . .
Old Nov 6th 2009, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spartacus
I'm sorry but you're all going to have to speak up a bit . . . it's my eyesight you see . . . never been the same since I moved here . . .
only go out at night and avoid the sun at all costs and you'll never have any eye problems... but then the english would have great eyes wouldn't they..

actually i'm going to give that bates thing a go.. and eat a lot of carrots... and no longer touch myself in a loving way. Job done
Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

dhama is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Nice article. Even DR.Bates was kicked out of the hospital for this controversy. It may not cure myopia but definitely will relive the stress form your eyes. My daughter was diagnosed -3 at the age of 8. But after doing these exercises for a year she is now -1.75. When i visit to optometrist every time in usa and they refused to belive that she had improved her vision instead they use to blame previous optometrist that they have over corrected her eye sight. It is a lengthy story and big concept.Hope you can understand. What ever the reason but she is improving from mypoia and its a surprise. That is all i would say now.

Thanks and Regards
Dhama

Originally Posted by ozhopeful
http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery.../eyequack.html

if you find a professional who condones this then you need to look for another optometrist
Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dhama
Hi
Nice article. Even DR.Bates was kicked out of the hospital for this controversy. It may not cure myopia but definitely will relive the stress form your eyes. My daughter was diagnosed -3 at the age of 8. But after doing these exercises for a year she is now -1.75. When i visit to optometrist every time in usa and they refused to belive that she had improved her vision instead they use to blame previous optometrist that they have over corrected her eye sight. It is a lengthy story and big concept.Hope you can understand. What ever the reason but she is improving from mypoia and its a surprise. That is all i would say now.

Thanks and Regards
Dhama
that's good news and i'm sure if she continues the exercises she will be able to go without glasses soon.

ps are you and or her mother short sighted by any chance?
Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

No Both we don't wear glasses. But unfortunately she had developed Myopia due to excess reading and squinting the eyes etc.

that's good news and i'm sure if she continues the exercises she will be able to go without glasses soon.

ps are you and or her mother short sighted by any chance?
Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dhama
No Both we don't wear glasses. But unfortunately she had developed Myopia due to excess reading and squinting the eyes etc.
sorry dhama but although excexssive near focussing is one of the theories of causing ss to progress, it's almost unheard of under 10 (how much did she read), i'm afraid i'd go along with a massive over refraction in the first place.
-3.00 at that age is unusual (and reducing from there is even more unusual)

but it would be impossible to comment accurately on her specific case.
find an optometrist you trust and keep doing the exercises, at best they can't hurt.
if she reads excessivley then limit sessions as it's extended periods that possibly cause shifts.

do youself a favour and google some evidence based research about myopia progression.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your concern. Yes i did . Her myopia will keep increasing up to the age of 18 atleast. But many doctors surprised that she can read 5 lines in the snellen chart without any Glasses .But computer eye testing shows that still she has three power. But with glasses -1.75 she can read all the 7 lines. Exercise gave her lot of confidence and improvement. yes she reads many books in day. There was a time i remember that i came to know that she use to read the story books in the night after going to bed with cell phone light.

sorry dhama but although excexssive near focussing is one of the theories of causing ss to progress, it's almost unheard of under 10 (how much did she read), i'm afraid i'd go along with a massive over refraction in the first place.
-3.00 at that age is unusual (and reducing from there is even more unusual)

but it would be impossible to comment accurately on her specific case.
find an optometrist you trust and keep doing the exercises, at best they can't hurt.
if she reads excessivley then limit sessions as it's extended periods that possibly cause shifts.

do youself a favour and google some evidence based research about myopia progression.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
It's no joke - without my contacts or glasses I can't hear anyone either. People don't realise how much people lip-read.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

From wikipedia..make of it what you will..

"Daylight may prevent myopia. Australian researchers had concluded that exposure to daylight appeared to play a critical role in restricting the growth of the eyeball, which is responsible for myopia or short-sightedness.

In Australia, the overall prevalence of myopia (worse than −0.50 diopters) has been estimated to be 17%.[33] In one recent study, less than 1 in 10 (8.4%) Australian children between the ages of 4 and 12 were found to have myopia greater than −0.50 diopters.[34] A recent review found that 16.4% of Australians aged 40 or over have at least −1.00 diopters of myopia and 2.5% have at least −5.00 diopters.[35]"

Less than I would have thought!
Old Nov 6th 2009, 11:35 pm
ABCDiamond

It's the fault of education.....

Myopia in Israel
The overall prevalence of myopia in the 16-22 age group increased over the 13 years of the study, from 20.3% in 1990 to 28.3% in 2002.

The prevalence of myopia correlated positively with a higher level of education.
6.1% with 8 years of education
25.9% with 12 years of education

Japan
In a 13-year period, the prevalence of myopia increased from 49.3% to 65.6% in Japanese students aged 17 years.

Norway:
54.1% myopia in medical students in Norway

India
2.8% prevalence of Myopia in a rural Indian population (which has a high rate of illiteracy)