eyes wide shut

Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:19 pm
dazuk

Default eyes wide shut

I was in the chat room a couple of nights back and was chatting to a guy, one of WWB,s mates I think. He was telling me how he was moving him and his familly to NZ, although he had never lived there. When I questioned him on the wisdom of such a move he justified it with the old chestnut of "better opps for the kids.
Hmmmmmm

When I asked how low wages and high airfares, due to geographical isolation would present better opps for his kids, all was silent.

I Guess what Im asking here is the question, would you uproot yourself let alone your kids without even checking out a country 11000 miles or so away????

The power of the negative UK press??? Daily Mail, Sun readers welcome down under, no problems mate s,all good here

Old Feb 12th 2004, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: eyes wide shut

Originally posted by dazuk
I was in the chat room a couple of nights back and was chatting to a guy, one of WWB,s mates I think. He was telling me how he was moving him and his familly to NZ, although he had never lived there. When I questioned him on the wisdom of such a move he justified it with the old chestnut of "better opps for the kids.
Hmmmmmm

I Guess what Im asking here is the question, would you uproot yourself let alone your kids without even checking out a country 11000 miles or so away????...
Does seem odd. But then, perhaps he doesn't want to see anything that might negatively impact his dream ?!

NZ and Oz probably provide a better outdoor lifestyle for kids (I say "probably", assuming you've dealt with the highest global incidences of skin cancer and asthma...)
Old Feb 12th 2004, 1:43 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

but what about the future - what if the kids move away from NZ - as many do for other opps..... and then your left in NZ?

just a thought
Old Feb 12th 2004, 1:45 am
Merlot

Default Teenagers

My husband came to Oz a month after his 18th Birthday and he said the move changed him for life.

He lost his self confidence.

His family moved into NSW Country and he was surrounded by red necks who smoked dope all day!

He missed his mates, football (playing & watching), his new job, etc. Took him many years to pull round and 17 years on not sure if he really has!

Merlot

Old Feb 12th 2004, 1:54 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I Guess what Im asking here is the question, would you uproot yourself let alone your kids without even checking out a country 11000 miles or so away????

Yes but then it all started by applying for a job thru the UK press and ending up here with employer paying all costs. I don't know how long I'll stay (3 years on temp visa left to run) as I reckon my small kids would likely go off to Europe for uni education, will hang around at least for the next few years and upgrade to citizenship for insurance at some point
Old Feb 12th 2004, 5:04 am
tia
Forum Regular

tia is an unknown quantity at this point

We done all the research on coming to oz,lived here when the kids were 3&5,came back out 4yrs ago for a holiday after my hubby had 2nd heart bypass,and we all decided it was what we wanted kids aswell who are 19 & 16 now..Know we have been her 6 months daughter cannot get into her courses here no places and is going back to the uk for 4 yrs,as soon as we arrived she wanted to go back,here confidence went down hill and she lost her spark!!she did get a job and is doing ok,there pleased with her and shes earning money,shes got a couple of friends who are of poms in perth site.She hasnt been out with anyone her own age since shes been here only to the pictures,luckily her friend is coming out in 6wks time so she can go and have some fun with someone her own age.My son who loved it at first as done a around turn and he is going threw what my daughter had when we arrived..emotionally it hasnt been good for them and we will be returning back to the uk for this reason as im not prepared to see them go through anymore as it isnt worth it.please if you have older children please make sure you are making the right decision on coming here..It is a lovely place and i have more family here but its not enough to keep the kids here..And having tears and upsets all the time on top of trying to get settled it is hard on you as a family..i am not the only one who i know who is going back because of the older kids,i know a few more famils who are doing the same....(bit long winded soz)
Old Feb 12th 2004, 5:19 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

It's another of those 'reasons to move even though I've never been there' questions isn't it!!

Old Feb 12th 2004, 5:28 am
WBB

I was in the chat room a couple of nights back and was chatting to a guy, one of WWB,s mates I think.

this is becoming a common theme.

daz you are a fake wanabee, get over yourself.

Old Feb 12th 2004, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally posted by tia
We done all the research on coming to oz,lived here when the kids were 3&5,came back out 4yrs ago for a holiday after my hubby had 2nd heart bypass,and we all decided it was what we wanted kids aswell who are 19 & 16 now..Know we have been her 6 months daughter cannot get into her courses here no places and is going back to the uk for 4 yrs,as soon as we arrived she wanted to go back,here confidence went down hill and she lost her spark!!she did get a job and is doing ok,there pleased with her and shes earning money,shes got a couple of friends who are of poms in perth site.She hasnt been out with anyone her own age since shes been here only to the pictures,luckily her friend is coming out in 6wks time so she can go and have some fun with someone her own age.My son who loved it at first as done a around turn and he is going threw what my daughter had when we arrived..emotionally it hasnt been good for them and we will be returning back to the uk for this reason as im not prepared to see them go through anymore as it isnt worth it.please if you have older children please make sure you are making the right decision on coming here..It is a lovely place and i have more family here but its not enough to keep the kids here..And having tears and upsets all the time on top of trying to get settled it is hard on you as a family..i am not the only one who i know who is going back because of the older kids,i know a few more famils who are doing the same....(bit long winded soz)

I am no expert, but is this not `one of the stages of emotions` that every one will go through.
My family and I are well aware that the first 6 months will be hoilday mode and the next 6 will be feel like sh.t, miss friends/family etc.
Will you not give it a bit longer?
Maybe try and think of the reasons you all went in the first place., Dunno, might help.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmmm
I doubt I'd go into much detail in the chatroom as it's hard to convey what you really think in there - not enough room to write etc. Perhaps he has thought about it more thoroughly than you might think.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:52 am
tia
Forum Regular

tia is an unknown quantity at this point

The first six months wasnt holiday mode for us,we got straight into it,looking for a rental,jobs,and doing everything you have to get sorted..Me and hubby are not homesick and we think perth is a nice place and were not knocking it in anyway,the only thing that has got at us is the wages and the attitude of a lot of employers against you ,therefore it is tough getting a job,but you have to take the rough with the smooth and get through it and just try and keep trying till you get anything to get that first oz reference..I am looking at going back because i want my kids to have there parents around them,i know they are going back to the uk and especially my daughter who will go back sooner than my son,the beachs and weather is not enough for them as it was when they were younger..I know eventually they will go and move were ever when they are ready to anyway but i cant live here with them living in the uk..I know a lot of people who have came here and there older kids move straight back to the uk or go after a few months and some cope with that and others dont..our daughter will be gone for 4yrs with one visit a yr and theres no saying she.ll come back..id rather be in uk with my kids than here without them...weve had tears ,arguments you name it weve been through it and talked loads,and assessed why we came but nothing prepares you for your kids reacting the way they do even if they wanted it in the uk.They do really like the place but!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice

Originally posted by tia
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice

Originally posted by sue&bob
Hi
We have also recently moved to perth ,we have a 15yr old son and a 18 yr old daughter,they are realy missing thier friends too, and they both wanna go back, we have been here nearly 5 months and she has ony been out a couple of times and gets upset most weekends because normally she would be out ,but instead she is stuck in,things are not getting much easier,like you say its a great place but its hard with teenagers.
sue
Old Feb 15th 2004, 7:05 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the chat room a couple of nights back and was chatting to a guy, one of WWB,s mates I think.

Lets get the facts straight.

First it was me.

1. He was telling me how he was moving him and his familly to NZ, although he had never lived there.

How many people have lived in a country BEFORE they emergrate to it?

A few granted, but not that many. Also I did say that I would obviously visit before my family made the move. I am not an idiot and I have/would research the location until my eyes hurt.

2. When I questioned him on the wisdom of such a move he justified it with the old chestnut of "better opps for the kids. Hmmmmmm

Thats a complete lie.

I gave many reasons one of which was that I wanted a better outdoor lifestyle for my kids not oppertunities. Others included a less stressfull working life, lower crime, fewer drugs problems ect.

3. When I asked how low wages and high airfares, due to geographical isolation would present better opps for his kids, all was silent.

No it wasnt silent. I dont think you could ever call me that

I just said that lower wages wouldnt be a problem for us. You kept pushing and pushing for an answer that wasnt applicable to us. I told you that we are finacially OK, but you kept insisting that low wages were going to be a problem. I will say it again, no they wont.

No part of our conversation touched on the subject of my kids future opportunities.

4. I Guess what Im asking here is the question, would you uproot yourself let alone your kids without even checking out a country 11000 miles or so away????

See point 1

5. The power of the negative UK press??? Daily Mail, Sun readers welcome down under, no problems mate s,all good here

You jumped up patronising little shit

Dont ever pressume to know me let alone judge me.
For your information I HAVE TRAVELLED most of the world, for 14 years in fact. I have seen at first hand other cultures and lifestyles, I know what I want and dont want in life.

All through our conversation you were aggressive and negative to any of my comments. I cut our conversation short because your aggressive and negative comments were getting on my tits

PS If you had read any of my post you would know that we have changed our plans to go to NZ early next year.

Check this post out:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...5&pagenumber=2

Now get your facts right before trying to paraphrase me.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 7:07 pm
WBB

so you are my mate then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.