Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Eye Tests and children

Eye Tests and children

Old Nov 5th 2005, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

loubie will become famous soon enough
Default Eye Tests and children

We had our medicals and our son of 6 (only just) failed the eye test. This is because primarily because he does not know capitals! Took him to the opticians and had the same problem, although they thought he was slightly long sighted in 1 eye. Consequently through a mixture of not concentrating and not knowing capitals he is going to have to have some nasty eye drops! All i want is a prescrition just to satisy DIMIA. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited by loubie; Nov 5th 2005 at 9:21 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eye Tests and children

Originally Posted by loubie
We had our medicals and our son of 6 (only just) failed the eye test. This is because primarily because he does not know capitals! Took him to the opticians and had the same problem, although they thought he was slightly long sighted in 1 eye. Consequently through a mixture of not concentrating and not knowing capitals he is going to have to have some nasty eye drops! All i want is a prescrition just to satisy DIMIA. Has anyone else experienced this?
Can't your optician do the test again with pictures? that is what happened to my lot when they needed eye tests at a young age. It sems rather pointless for them to ask him to tell them what letters there are when he can't read them anyway. I would try an optician that is used to dealing with children and explain that he has trouble reading still and get them to use the pictures. My son is mildly short sighted which has been picked up several times and he got through the medical with a comment that we should get him tested again in 6 months as it isn't really bad enough for glasses yet. Sounds like your doctor was being particularly picky.
Good luck.
Nicky
Old Nov 9th 2005, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

loubie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NickyP
Can't your optician do the test again with pictures? that is what happened to my lot when they needed eye tests at a young age. It sems rather pointless for them to ask him to tell them what letters there are when he can't read them anyway. I would try an optician that is used to dealing with children and explain that he has trouble reading still and get them to use the pictures. My son is mildly short sighted which has been picked up several times and he got through the medical with a comment that we should get him tested again in 6 months as it isn't really bad enough for glasses yet. Sounds like your doctor was being particularly picky.
Good luck.
Nicky
Thanks, i did do that in the end! He is mildly long sighted, not enough to wear glasses. I sent the prescription to the Dr. I thought he was a bit of an idoit doing an eye test like that on a 6 year old!
Old Nov 9th 2005, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loubie
Thanks, i did do that in the end! He is mildly long sighted, not enough to wear glasses. I sent the prescription to the Dr. I thought he was a bit of an idoit doing an eye test like that on a 6 year old!
Glad that it is sorted. Good luck with the rest.
Nicky