Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Extraordinary Coincidence/DIY FX

Extraordinary Coincidence/DIY FX

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future
Default Extraordinary Coincidence/DIY FX

Ive had this torn £5 note for about 8yrs. Having come across it again whilst packing up ready for the shippers I decided to take it to the bank to exchange it for a full one. I'm stood in the queue and theres this guy trying to change some foreign currency. Anyway the tiller comes back and says the rate to exchange is 2.8234, next I hear him say do you want my address over here or the Australian one. Obviously my ears prick up at the slightist mention of Australia and I realise that he's being shafted by the bank whilst trying to exchange for GBP. So walked up behind him and said "Ill give you a better rate than that mate, I'm off to Oz in 2 weeks" Without hesitation he tells the tiller to rip up the form and we strike a deal. Exchanged his $1,400 AUD for him at 2.700 making him an extra £40 and got my ready cash for our trip well above the tourist rate for small amounts. What a time to take the torn £5 note to the bank. Must be a lucky omen me hopes.

Andy.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 10:36 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extraordinary Coincidence/DIY FX

Andy,
Everyone is waiting to know what rate you got for your half fiver ?
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Bix
Andy,
Everyone is waiting to know what rate you got for your half fiver ?
suppose it was 2.0

gave em half a fiver and got a full one back

now ive been thinking of getting some fifties........tearing em in half and visiting a number of banks if you know what I mean
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 10:51 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by andy thomas
Ive had this torn £5 note for about 8yrs. Having come across it again whilst packing up ready for the shippers I decided to take it to the bank to exchange it for a full one. I'm stood in the queue and theres this guy trying to change some foreign currency. Anyway the tiller comes back and says the rate to exchange is 2.8234, next I hear him say do you want my address over here or the Australian one. Obviously my ears prick up at the slightist mention of Australia and I realise that he's being shafted by the bank whilst trying to exchange for GBP. So walked up behind him and said "Ill give you a better rate than that mate, I'm off to Oz in 2 weeks" Without hesitation he tells the tiller to rip up the form and we strike a deal. Exchanged his $1,400 AUD for him at 2.700 making him an extra £40 and got my ready cash for our trip well above the tourist rate for small amounts. What a time to take the torn £5 note to the bank. Must be a lucky omen me hopes.

Andy.
nice one matey
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aussie opinions

I reckon you'd made that bloke think all Poms are generous buggers.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

What a cool story, hope you gave him the expats addy too!
Old Jun 24th 2004, 8:13 am
Gary / Terri

Gary / Terri is on a distinguished road

with that kindof luck can you pick mylottery numbers or me!!!!

Gary and Terri
Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Gary / Terri
with that kindof luck can you pick mylottery numbers or me!!!!

Gary and Terri

ok 5, 16, 21, 23, 39, 43.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

You have know idea how tempted I am to use those numbers. But having thought about realise every bloody member probably has. Anyway 3 of the numbers are off my standard line. And maybe just maybe for the sake of a £1 mmmmmmm. Do we owe you a % if they come up??????

Wish I'd bumped in to him. Were off to Oz for a visit tomorrow. Got a crap rate, own fault left it to the last minute (today). Very nervous about flight though.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by joho
You have know idea how tempted I am to use those numbers. But having thought about realise every bloody member probably has. Anyway 3 of the numbers are off my standard line. And maybe just maybe for the sake of a £1 mmmmmmm. Do we owe you a % if they come up??????

Wish I'd bumped in to him. Were off to Oz for a visit tomorrow. Got a crap rate, own fault left it to the last minute (today). Very nervous about flight though.
a small % only if the win is significant but I wont hold you to it. So as not to jinx it I will not be using these numbers on Saturday.