Reload this Page >

Extra weight allowance

Extra weight allowance

Old Apr 30th 2002, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

jasmin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extra weight allowance

Hello,
We are in a bit of a quandry and wondered if anyone else has come across this problem.
We are heading down in October for a month to find our final destination (hopefully!!) and already have our Visa and our airline tickets.
We jave now noticed that some of the airlines give you a double baggage allowance but we think this is only on your first entry.
i.e. when we move in January it will not apply as the Visa's will already have been stamped when we enter in October.
Any idea how we can get around this??
Jas.
Old Apr 30th 2002, 8:35 pm
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Extra weight allowance

Hi,

We've been doing sim. research and I think it's fair to say that the double allowance of 40kgs sucks! If you choose the west route via the US (Say London, LA, Oz) then you'll get 2x32kgs each (ie 64 kgs) without paying Qantas's ridiculous "special migrant fare"

Anon.
Old Apr 30th 2002, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, thats useful to know... I love this forum!!
Old Apr 30th 2002, 9:28 pm
jet
Forum Regular

jet will become famous soon enough

Hi, I got my letter telling me my visa had been approved and rushed to book my ticket. I had heard that Singapore Airlines allows double the weight allowance so got a reasonably priced ticket with them. Problem arose when I mentioned needing the double allowance and was told I needed to provide a photocopy of my passport with visa inside and me being the eager beaver I am didnt wait for my passport to arrive. They have given me a deadline of May 6th to produce it or I lose the allowance so please be aware of this before rushing out like I did. I sent my passport last week and am now sweating on it being back in time.

Good luck with everything and I also wish I knew about going via America cos think I would have done it that way but my flight schedule is pretty good and at £400 I guess the price was good too.
Old Apr 30th 2002, 10:00 pm
Jaj

On 30 Apr 2002 21:00:07 GMT, jasmin <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello, We are in a bit of a quandry and wondered if anyone else has come across this
    >problem. We are heading down in October for a month to find our final destination
    >(hopefully!!) and already have our Visa and our airline tickets. We jave now noticed
    >that some of the airlines give you a double baggage allowance but we think this is
    >only on your first entry.

I believe that's correct - ie you won't get it on the second entry. You can always
ask however. Make it clear you'll look elsewhere otherwise (see below).

>i.e. when we move in January it will not apply as the Visa's will already have been
    > stamped when we enter in October. Any idea how we can get around this??

Fly via North America. Cost isn't much higher and your baggage allowance becomes 2
cases at max weight 32kg each, instead of an overall 20kg.

I'm not sure this works if you're heading for Perth, as you'd have to take an
internal Australian flight from the east coast.

The disdvantage is that the flying time is 4-5 hours longer. Which you do notice,
especially after you hit the 20+ hour mark in the air. You could think about breaking
the journey in LA, San Francisco, Hawaii or Auckland.

Jeremy

Old May 1st 2002, 12:30 am
Pread

I remember having one of Qantas' flyers, and a footnote stated something to the
effect that the special migrant offers (including double baggage allowance) was only
valid with a migrant's visa. It's a one-time deal.

Cheers, Paul.

"jasmin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, We are in a bit of a quandry and wondered if anyone else has come across
    > this problem. We are heading down in October for a month to find our final
    > destination (hopefully!!) and already have our Visa and our airline tickets. We
    > jave now noticed that some of the airlines give you a double baggage allowance but
    > we think this is only on your first entry.
    > i.e. when we move in January it will not apply as the Visa's will already have been
    > stamped when we enter in October. Any idea how we can get around this?? Jas.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 1st 2002, 8:00 am
Alan Collett

Hi Jasmin.

Book your January tickets before you go in October and ask for the double baggage
allowance as you will be emigrating.

The agent or airline will ask you for a copy of your visas - the opposite page in the
passports will not have been stamped and so you will be able to obtain the double
allowance on your January trip.

Best regards.

Alan C http://www.gomatilda.com

jasmin wrote in message <[email protected]>... Hello, We are in a bit of a
quandry and wondered if anyone else has come across this problem. We are heading down
in October for a month to find our final destination (hopefully!!) and already have
our Visa and our airline tickets. We jave now noticed that some of the airlines give
you a double baggage allowance but we think this is only on your first entry.
i.e. when we move in January it will not apply as the Visa's will already have been
stamped when we enter in October. Any idea how we can get around this?? Jas.

--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 1st 2002, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

thank you all for your help x
Old May 1st 2002, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

I rang Qantas and asked them direct about our situation and booking before
we go in October, They said, the Visa would be viewed at Check and we would
be charged £29 per Kilo over 20KG, they would consider we were travelling on a used Visa.
Old May 2nd 2002, 12:00 am
Ac

Hi Jasmin.

I speak from personal experience (I travelled to Melbourne last year six weeks before
I and my family emigrated) having been in a similar position to you and I had no
problems at Qantas check in at Heathrow, Singapore, or Perth (that's 4 of us with our
11 pieces of baggage - total weight 160.3 kg).

If your ticket shows you have a 40kg allowance I doubt the staff at the check in
desk would ask any questions - unless they have become more aware of situations like
yours and ours.

AC

jasmin wrote in message <[email protected]>... I rang Qantas and asked
them direct about our situation and booking before we go in October, They said, the
Visa would be viewed at Check and we would be charged £29 per Kilo over 20KG, they
would consider we were travelling on a used Visa.

--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 2nd 2002, 3:30 pm
Thunder Ace

"pread" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]> ...
    > I remember having one of Qantas' flyers, and a footnote stated something to the
    > effect that the special migrant offers (including double baggage allowance) was
    > only valid with a migrant's visa. It's a one-time deal.
    >
    > Cheers, Paul.

Makes sense to me, the first time you go you are a migrant, after that you are simply
returning, aren't you?

>
    > "jasmin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello, We are in a bit of a quandry and wondered if anyone else has come across
    > > this problem. We are heading down in October for a month to find our final
    > > destination (hopefully!!) and already have our Visa and our airline tickets. We
    > > jave now noticed that some of the airlines give you a double baggage allowance
    > > but we think this is only on your first entry.
    > > i.e. when we move in January it will not apply as the Visa's will already have
    > > been stamped when we enter in October. Any idea how we can get around this??
    > > Jas.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 2nd 2002, 5:30 pm
Anna Langley

> "pread" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]> ...
    >> I remember having one of Qantas' flyers, and a footnote stated something to the
    >> effect that the special migrant offers (including double baggage allowance) was
    >> only valid with a migrant's visa. It's a one-time deal.

When I moved to London from Melbourne, I was way over my baggage allowance. The woman
on the Qantas check in counter noticed that I was on a one way ticket, and passed my
bags through without comment or extra charges.

I've flown on Qantas a lot, and for a long time. Generally, they just quietly do the
right thing. I've rarely had any bad moments with them.

Cheers,

Anna
--
Anna Langley London UK