British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Extra luggage allowance for migrants flying Qantas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/extra-luggage-allowance-migrants-flying-qantas-121677/)

uk2oz Dec 12th 2002 10:11 am

Extra luggage allowance for migrants flying Qantas

Hi

Has any one received an extra luggage allowance from Qantas when flying there as new migrants?

After getting my visa, I have been there once to get it stamped but I intend to go there for settlement shortly (on a one way ticket).

I wonder whether I am eligible of the extra luggage allowance from Qantas.

Please let me know if you have any experience with this.

Many thanks,
Mike

Inked Dec 12th 2002 10:34 am

One way ticket.. Have you compared the cost of them? I'm off at the start of next year, but I'll buy a return just because its cheeper (from all teh searches I have made) than buying a one way one.

Typically economy was arround 850 UK pounds return or 1600 uk pounds one way!! Think I'm prepared to chuck the return part away if I dont visit the Uk again within a year.

cinderella Dec 12th 2002 11:32 am

Re: Extra luggage allowance for migrants flying Qantas

Originally posted by uk2oz
Hi

Has any one received an extra luggage allowance from Qantas when flying there as new migrants?

After getting my visa, I have been there once to get it stamped but I intend to go there for settlement shortly (on a one way ticket).

Many thanks,
Mike

There have been many posts about this in the past. If I remember correctly Qantas will give more baggage allowance. Most people have said that the have arranged this at the time of booking or before they travel. It would be a nightmare to get to the airport and then be charged excess. So I would discuss with your travel when you book and get it pre-arranged.

Best wishes.

Cinderella
:)

Call me AL Dec 14th 2002 1:03 am

Re: Extra luggage allowance for migrants flying Qantas

Originally posted by uk2oz
Hi

Many thanks,
Mike

Qantas do a "migrant" flight, one way at a good price with double baggage allowance. Go through The Strand office.

Stan J Dec 14th 2002 7:59 am

For what it's worth, more than a decade ago I availed of a Singapore Airlines double baggage allowance. From memory Qantas, BA and Cathay had similar offerings (can't be sure).

My subsequent OZ-UK-OZ return flight I went via the USA, going that way I was under the impression that one had a limit of two check-in bags rather than a weight limit as such.