British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   extra baggage and stopover (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/extra-baggage-stopover-387123/)

thomas and sarahjayne Jul 27th 2006 2:50 pm

extra baggage and stopover

Is there any airlines that offer extra baggage allowance if intending on doing a stopover, we were going to stop over for 7 nights in dubai flying emirates, but only get the extra baggage allowance as per pr visa is we get connecting/direct flight Any idea?

thanks sj

h2oskineil Jul 27th 2006 10:39 pm

Re: extra baggage and stopover

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne
Is there any airlines that offer extra baggage allowance if intending on doing a stopover, we were going to stop over for 7 nights in dubai flying emirates, but only get the extra baggage allowance as per pr visa is we get connecting/direct flight Any idea?

thanks sj

I'm fairly sure if you stop over on the way, the category of flight cha
cnges from migration to tourist, hence you don't get the extra allowance.

I've posted this before.... don't risk bieng over weight with Emirates. We were and they wanted an extra £600 before we could get on the aircraft.

Good luck

Neil.

Nomore Jul 28th 2006 6:42 am

thanks sj

we flew Singapore airlines and then to Perth...we telephoned them and asked if we were allowed more baggage since we were emigrating...they said yes!! as long as you let them know in advance then they are ok about it. As for emirates we flew with them in Feb. same applies for them just ring them first and they will allow abit more. Its when u turn up at the airport with more than u know that they get funny!! just ring and book more baggage.

Guitarfish Jul 28th 2006 12:04 pm

thanks sj

We decided to go the other way 'cos of the baggage thing. Flying Air New Zealand with stopover at LA, we get an automatic 46 kgs (2 x 23 to be specific) allowance each. Apparently the yanks always have it - can't travel anywhere without half their worldly possessions... :rolleyes:

On the other hand, we might have been a bit slow on the uptake when we were booking tickets for departure Sept 10th (a bit cheaper for some reason :confused: ). Anyone like to take a guess at how slow security checks are gonna be in a US airport on September 11th? :eek:

thomas and sarahjayne Jul 28th 2006 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
I'm fairly sure if you stop over on the way, the category of flight cha
cnges from migration to tourist, hence you don't get the extra allowance.

I've posted this before.... don't risk bieng over weight with Emirates. We were and they wanted an extra £600 before we could get on the aircraft.

Good luck

Neil.

Thanks for the info, i'll need to consider this, my bags are overweight even going to spain for a fortnight, so i'll need to be thorough.

cheers

sarah-jayne

thomas and sarahjayne Jul 28th 2006 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Guitarfish
We decided to go the other way 'cos of the baggage thing. Flying Air New Zealand with stopover at LA, we get an automatic 46 kgs (2 x 23 to be specific) allowance each. Apparently the yanks always have it - can't travel anywhere without half their worldly possessions... :rolleyes:

On the other hand, we might have been a bit slow on the uptake when we were booking tickets for departure Sept 10th (a bit cheaper for some reason :confused: ). Anyone like to take a guess at how slow security checks are gonna be in a US airport on September 11th? :eek:

yeah i looked at united airlines and offer 23 kg, but only do double baggage if your emigrating in south america, its still a little more i suppose. but thanks for info and i reckon all those poor souls travelling on sept 11th will have a long long trip ahead especially at customs. :scared:

sj

onepearlyb Jul 28th 2006 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Guitarfish

Hiya,

Can i ask are flights more expensive going "the other way". We've considered a stop over in LA. AND, was it still applicable to get the extra baggage allowance when you stop over in LA??

Cheers,
*pearly*

markeh Jul 29th 2006 7:07 am

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hiya,

Can i ask are flights more expensive going "the other way". We've considered a stop over in LA. AND, was it still applicable to get the extra baggage allowance when you stop over in LA??

Cheers,
*pearly*

Hiya Pearly,
we are considering going via the US, and having a stop over whilst their to taki in the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas etc.

I did previously contact Singapore Airlines, and their message was just a standard reply, implying that previously validation has denied the allowance.

I think that they are all making it harder to get the 40kg allowance because of the cost, that's why going by the USA looks so good, as well as having a holiday whilst in the USA.

Bye
Mark

MJC Jul 29th 2006 7:33 am

Call Emirates in London it's 0870 2432222. Can I suggest that if you're coming here to Dubai for a week, you speak to them about adding a Hotel from www.emiratesholidays.com they'll be more than happy to accept the extra baggage. Failing that, send it by Emirates Sky Cargo (Freight) it'll be cheaper and will be waiting for you in Aus when you arrive.

thomas and sarahjayne Aug 1st 2006 5:56 pm

:D Guys thanks for all the replies.
I called emirates and under no circumstance will they adhere to extra baggage if we do a stopover, we have to go direct, and even if we book a stopover hotel with emirates we still dont qualify.
Considered sky cargo,
eventually called singapore airlines and they advised they will honour extra baggage at 40 kg even if we do stopover, but need to stopover in singapore and the co-share from glasgow to london via BA will also honour if singapore airlines provide evidence.

so that does it onward bound to singapore just need to book flights.

sarah-jayne