Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Extra Baggage Allowance With Singapore Airlines

Extra Baggage Allowance With Singapore Airlines

Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:21 pm
Off to drill downunder

Location: Essex until september then Ocean Shores (near Byron Bay)
JAWS is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Extra Baggage Allowance With Singapore Airlines

Hi,

I'm sure most people on this site know this but plenty travel agents are not aware of it so if you are booking a one way flight read on.

If you book a one way flight with SAL and you are going to validate your visa (which must say entitled to stay in Australia indefinitely) they will allow you 40KG each at no extra charge instead of the usual 20KG but you must ask for it.

When the agent confirmed this with SAL today I got a sense they were surprised we knew about it.They also confirmed a stopover in Singapore for a couple of nights doesn't affect it.

Cheers everyone off August 19th
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Jaybee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Extra Baggage Allowance With Singapore Airlines

HI ,we are travelling with SAL on a one way ticket only difference is that our visa is a 457 temp, we were told by the airline we were allowed 30kg each, better than the normal 20kg.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:32 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

We are flying with them as well on 27th Aug and got the double baggage allowance but we booked with them direct. Cheaper than booking through an agent!!!

Lorraine
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:35 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Our travel agent faxed our visas in passports (PR) to SA - not had any confirmation but they said the 40kg pp should be fine - am waiting on my tickets to make doubly sure its printed on them - the agent did confirm that a stopover would be fine too - thats why we chose SA over Emirates (Emirates would of been more convenient but they refused 40kg if we were having a stopover which we wanted)

Lynn
Old Jul 19th 2005, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Our travel agent faxed our visas in passports (PR) to SA - not had any confirmation but they said the 40kg pp should be fine - am waiting on my tickets to make doubly sure its printed on them - the agent did confirm that a stopover would be fine too - thats why we chose SA over Emirates (Emirates would of been more convenient but they refused 40kg if we were having a stopover which we wanted)

Lynn
In my opinion SAL are muche better than Emirates anyway.......but make sure you have something such as an email confirming you can have 40kg cos some people have ahd problems at check in. We were allowed 30kg each as we had a temp visa.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:03 pm
Living the dream.

The MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant future

Ello fellow travellers. We booked our flights today through opodo and save an absolute fortune. 2 Hrs later I called the SIA office in Manchester and a very helpful lady confirmed that if you have an unvalidated PR Visa its double baggage allowance. She could not send me an email to me but emailed London Heathrow to advise them that we were migrants. Dunno if that helps but there ya go.

Dave
Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:04 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
We are flying with them as well on 27th Aug and got the double baggage allowance but we booked with them direct. Cheaper than booking through an agent!!!

Lorraine
Emirates offer 40Kg, so long as the booking agent specifies that you are migrating.

When I phoned Emirates to book direct, their cheapest flight in the date range I gave them was about GBP1000 and recommended I use an agent. I paid GBP589 in the end.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Just a word of warning. Someone on here recently flew with SA and got the 40kg no probs, they had a stopover and on the 2nd leg were told by SA that they were no longer entitled to it and had to pay the extra. Unless you get it in writing beware. we used them, direct though, no problems.

Jo
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:24 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Originally Posted by joho
Just a word of warning. Someone on here recently flew with SA and got the 40kg no probs, they had a stopover and on the 2nd leg were told by SA that they were no longer entitled to it and had to pay the extra. Unless you get it in writing beware. we used them, direct though, no problems.

Jo
We booked via EBooker, obviously didn't have any tickets just email paerwork. Came over on a PR visa, no probs with 40kg allowance. Thank God they didn't weigh the hand luggage!!!
ViVi
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:33 am

Does anyone have e-mail address to hand for SA customer services? Was going to e-mail and request confirmation of 40kg allowance with the stopover. Trouble is i've not got my tickets yet but guess if I just give them all my flight times and details should be OK!

I will hunt for address in the meantime,

Lynn
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:40 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAWS
Hi,

I'm sure most people on this site know this but plenty travel agents are not aware of it so if you are booking a one way flight read on.

If you book a one way flight with SAL and you are going to validate your visa (which must say entitled to stay in Australia indefinitely) they will allow you 40KG each at no extra charge instead of the usual 20KG but you must ask for it.

When the agent confirmed this with SAL today I got a sense they were surprised we knew about it.They also confirmed a stopover in Singapore for a couple of nights doesn't affect it.

A bit confused about ' one way flight with SAL and you are going to validate your visa'.

Either you are migrating fullstop or you are validating which means you are going for just a few weeks and then returning.

If you are going on a one way flight ie. migrating then yes you are entitled to the 40kgs.

If you are just validating ie. not migrating then you are not entitled to the 40kgs.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAWS
Hi,

Thanks for the info we are also flying out with SAL in August .Enjoy your flights.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

HojuroGaja is on a distinguished road

We've booked our flight with SA on their own website.
I had emailed "SA Uk feedback" asking for the emigrating baggage allowance earlier. Part of the reply from UK feedback ;

"Passengers emigrating to Australia in Economy Class are entiltled to double baggage allowance if holding the correct visa. The visa must be an unused migrant visa that states to remain in Australia indefinitely. If you are holding this visa you wll be entitled to 40Kgs baggage allowance on showing the visa at check in."

I've printed this whole email out, which I'm going to take with us for the check in, just in case they say something else.

If anyone needs this messsage from the UK Feedback team I'll forward it to you, just let me know. The email address for them is "[email protected]".

Cheers
Yeon
Old Jul 20th 2005, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by HojuroGaja
I had emailed "SA Uk feedback" asking for the emigrating baggage allowance earlier. Part of the reply from UK feedback ;

"Passengers emigrating to Australia in Economy Class are entiltled to double baggage allowance if holding the correct visa. The visa must be an unused migrant visa that states to remain in Australia indefinitely. If you are holding this visa you wll be entitled to 40Kgs baggage allowance on showing the visa at check in."

I've printed this whole email out, which I'm going to take with us for the check in, just in case they say something else.

If anyone needs this messsage from the UK Feedback team I'll forward it to you, just let me know. The email address for them is "[email protected]".

Cheers
Yeon
Have just e-mailed that address requesting confirmation in writing explaning that a 'friend' recently encountered problems on their final leg post stopover between Singapore and Australia.

I will let you know the response!

Lynn
Old Jul 20th 2005, 10:23 am
Living the dream.

The MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant futureThe MCs has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HojuroGaja

Cheers
Yeon
I wouldn't mind a copy pse If you could email it that would be great.

Ta
Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.