Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Extra baggage allowance

Extra baggage allowance

Old Aug 10th 2003, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future
Question Extra baggage allowance

Hi Everyone,

Can someone tell me if we can still our double luggage allowance on our second trip to Oz and not our first, as our second trip will be our migration journey and our first just a holiday & reccy?

We have heard different views on this from Travel bag, saying we should get a seperate holiday visa, can anyone clarify, please?

Thanks

Loraine
Old Aug 10th 2003, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

We fly Monday and as far as I am aware the criteria for getting double baggage allowance are:-

You must have an unvalidated visa.
You must book one way.
You must request it.

As there are 5 of us and we are allowed 60Kg each of hold luggage and 14Kg of carry on, we have 370Kg of luggage.

Main problem encountered so far is, how do you get 14 cases and an assortment of other bags to and from the airports.

Mike.
Old Aug 10th 2003, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

rachels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default double Baggage allowance

Hi

I think it depends on who you are flying with as well. We meet all the criteria but have just found out that Malaysian Airlines stopped offering "double baggage" in April.

Old Aug 10th 2003, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Marlo, we were told that you had to have an unvalidated visa with a one-way ticket to get the double baggage allowance so you won't get it on your 'real' trip. You may not need it anyway - 80kg altogether is a lot. There's always some air freight if needed (sadly not free...). Sounds like the airlines are cutting back on it anyway - we've heard of a few people having trouble getting the extra kg.

We only get one double baggage allowance as the other two of us have Australian passports.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future
Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for your help, I will try and sort something out with friends when we go on our hols and hopefully leave stuff with them.

Loraine
Old Aug 11th 2003, 11:46 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Wendy&Mike
We fly Monday and as far as I am aware the criteria for getting double baggage allowance are:-

You must have an unvalidated visa.
You must book one way.
You must request it.

As there are 5 of us and we are allowed 60Kg each of hold luggage and 14Kg of carry on, we have 370Kg of luggage.

Main problem encountered so far is, how do you get 14 cases and an assortment of other bags to and from the airports.

Mike.
WOW !! WHich airline are you flying to get 60kg?

I am going with singapore....im allowed 40kg, and the wifes only allowed 20 as shes an aussie.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 11:52 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

[i]We only get one double baggage allowance as the other two of us have Australian passports.
Hi just in response to this...we are going back to aussie in the next 2 months, i am australian and i hold a british passport also, my kids have got australian citzenship by descent and will be travelling on their australian passports to avoid all the performance of immigration and crap, so if we are travelling on australian passports and my husband is on his english one do we only get the normal luggage allowance? we may be going with qantas, do you get the extra or do you have to check with them? just a thought....
:lecture:
Old Aug 11th 2003, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Johanne,

I'm an Aussie, returning to Melbourne.

You and the kids get the standard 20kg each, hubbie gets 40kg if he has one-way ticket and unvalidated visa. We're in the same boat. If you and the kids have Aussie passports you have to use them to enter Australia (it's the law) so no way around it.

Need to fax copy of hubbie's visa to the travel agent to agree it with the airline and get 40kg put on his ticket.

Best wishes,

Jo
Old Aug 11th 2003, 1:16 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by Jolyn
Need to fax copy of hubbie's visa to the travel agent to agree it with the airline and get 40kg put on his ticket.
I read that story before I left, however when I contacted Signapore Airlines to verify it they told be to just ask for the allowance at check-in, which I did and got.

YMMV

I reckon Singapore Airlines are more interested in whether you have a one-way ticket than if you've pre-requested and have an unvalidated visa.

Incidentally, my visa looks exactly the same as it did before arriving in Aus. Immigration only put a stamp on the adjacent page that looks pretty much like a standard stamp.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:02 pm

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Hi Johanne,

I'm an Aussie, returning to Melbourne.

Best wishes,

Jo
Hi Jolyn..would qantas accept my husbands visa/ ticket for all of us to get the extra baggage? we are going with qantas bacause my husbands firm is paying for the flights .
cheers, johanne
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Johanne,

Don't know about Qantas but suspect not. I asked Singapore and they said yes to husband and no to the rest of us. They sounded like they thought it was pushing it a bit to ask for migrant baggage to Oz for Oz passport holders who are technically Australian!

Might be worth ringing round and trying it on.

Jo
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

The rule on the double baggage allowance is that you have to have an unused visa in your passport, ie each person travelling must have a passport in their name with an unused visa in it, not all airlines offer this service.

As regards turning up and asking for it at check in, very risky as it would cost you a fortune for your extra 20 k's of baggage if refused. Always check with the airline as the travel agent may not always know about it.

Lynn
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:51 pm

Johanne,
Might be worth ringing round and trying it on.

Jo
Thanks for that...were are you going to in Melbourne?
Old Aug 11th 2003, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Johanne,

Hi - Eastern suburbs of Melbourne somewhere near the river. Box Hill, Nunawading, Templestowe, Eltham or thereabouts. I'll send you a Private Message.

Jo
Old Aug 11th 2003, 8:47 pm

Johanne,

Hi - Eastern suburbs of Melbourne somewhere near the river. Box Hill, Nunawading, Templestowe, Eltham or thereabouts. I'll send you a Private Message.

Jo
Hi again...just taking time-out from the stress
:scared: we are going to wantirna-mitcham area so its not too far from were you will be going is it. i have recieved an e-mail today from mitcham primary school, they have enough room for my 4 kids so hopefully they should settle down quickly, they are more excited than us i think ( minus the head-ache of it all )
speak to you soon
johanne