Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Extending PR status

Extending PR status

Old Aug 3rd 2005, 6:31 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Question Extending PR status

Hi,

Has anyone heard of people being able to extend the last entry date of their PR Visa?

We validated in 2003 and for various reasons could not go then. Our Visa expiry date is Sept. 2007 and I am due to complete my uni studies by the beginning of that year. Our biggest fear is that we can't sell the house in time and have to stay.

Anyone had their visas extended or should start fretting! :scared:

Cheers
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 7:06 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Extending PR status

Stitch,
you could alway's sell the house before you finish uni and rent.
Thus you will be able to leave and have everything sorted well in advance.

Just an idea.
Bye
Mark
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 9:03 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markeh
Stitch,
you could alway's sell the house before you finish uni and rent.
Thus you will be able to leave and have everything sorted well in advance.

Just an idea.
Bye
Mark
Hi Mark,

It's soooooo tempting.......

Cheers
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 9:07 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stitch
Hi,

Has anyone heard of people being able to extend the last entry date of their PR Visa?

We validated in 2003 and for various reasons could not go then. Our Visa expiry date is Sept. 2007 and I am due to complete my uni studies by the beginning of that year. Our biggest fear is that we can't sell the house in time and have to stay.

Cheers
DIMIA are quite strict on stuff like this i think you will have to be there for that date.
Then if you need to leave Aus after that date you will need a resident return visa ! Sell the house and rent !
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
Hi,

Cheers
Read form 968i:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

If you don't meet the 2/5 residence requirement then DIMIA will at least expect you to have 'substantial ties' to Australia. This should not be a problem if you are *living* in Australia, but if you stay resident in the UK your chances of developing substantial ties to Australia are slim indeed, unless special circumstances apply that you haven't mentioned (eg an Australian citizen spouse or dependent child).

If you return to Australia before Sept 2007 (the expiry date is not flexible, so don't leave it to the last minute) you must be in Australia on the expiry date and not set foot outside Australia for any reason until you can convince DIMIA to give you an RRV.

If you leave without an RRV, or don't move to Australia on time, your PR status may well be gone for good. Many others like you have lost their status because they did not move to Australia on time.

Jeremy
Old Aug 4th 2005, 4:06 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by JAJ
Read form 968i:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

If you don't meet the 2/5 residence requirement then DIMIA will at least expect you to have 'substantial ties' to Australia. This should not be a problem if you are *living* in Australia, but if you stay resident in the UK your chances of developing substantial ties to Australia are slim indeed, unless special circumstances apply that you haven't mentioned (eg an Australian citizen spouse or dependent child).

If you return to Australia before Sept 2007 (the expiry date is not flexible, so don't leave it to the last minute) you must be in Australia on the expiry date and not set foot outside Australia for any reason until you can convince DIMIA to give you an RRV.

If you leave without an RRV, or don't move to Australia on time, your PR status may well be gone for good. Many others like you have lost their status because they did not move to Australia on time.

Jeremy
Hi,

Thanks for the info. It was kind of what we thought (but hoped would not be the case).

That link was useful.

Cheers