Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Extending the life of a flight to Blighty

Extending the life of a flight to Blighty

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 4:16 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light
Default Extending the life of a flight to Blighty

Has anyone had any experience in not using a flight before it expires, and extending the validity of it?

I have four (yes, count em) four flights to Blighty that expire in April which we cannot use, as a) haven't the money to get back here again and b) my husband hasn't got enough annual leave. I want to fly solo to UK later in the year to see my sister's newly popped sproglet. What are the chances of Singapore airlines exchanging four singles now, for one return later in the year?

Ideas anyone?
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 4:23 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extending the life of a flight to Blighty

Originally Posted by webgum
Has anyone had any experience in not using a flight before it expires, and extending the validity of it?

I have four (yes, count em) four flights to Blighty that expire in April which we cannot use, as a) haven't the money to get back here again and b) my husband hasn't got enough annual leave. I want to fly solo to UK later in the year to see my sister's newly popped sproglet. What are the chances of Singapore airlines exchanging four singles now, for one return later in the year?

Ideas anyone?
Good luck with that one!

I've never heard of anyone being able to convert part used tickets into another flight.
Did you book them through a UK agent or online? if an agent you could approach them to see if they had any ideas.
Other than that contact the airline direct, I guess even if you were able to change the date on your ticket to when you need to go back it would be something, you can then hunt around for a cheap single back to Perth to tie in with it.
What about any travel insurance, anything there that you could consider using in some way?
Steve
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 4:31 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steve99
Good luck with that one!

I've never heard of anyone being able to convert part used tickets into another flight.
Did you book them through a UK agent or online? if an agent you could approach them to see if they had any ideas.
Other than that contact the airline direct, I guess even if you were able to change the date on your ticket to when you need to go back it would be something, you can then hunt around for a cheap single back to Perth to tie in with it.
What about any travel insurance, anything there that you could consider using in some way?
Steve
Good onya Steve! I don't hold out much hope that I'll be able to do anything. I booked it direct, and so will go back to them. I did speak to an travel agent yesterday, by chance, and she seemed to think that it is assessed on individual circumstances.......so if I can come up with a suitable sob story I may be in luck. If I could find anyone else who has tried successfully (or unsuccessfully) that may give me a better direction in my request. You never know.......

As you say, just getting back to Blighty and buying a cheapo back here may be the way to go. Hey, I could even get to check out the horror that is ThomsonFly!! Actually........ maybe not.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:28 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

As you say, just getting back to Blighty and buying a cheapo back here may be the way to go. Hey, I could even get to check out the horror that is ThomsonFly!! Actually........ maybe not.
I think i'd seriously consider the stow away option before subjecting myself to that

Could you try some sort of Visa sob story and claim that you were supposed to have your new visa come through by April and the return flight you booked to the UK was just so you could validate it and then return to Perth.
And then all your documents got lost in the post when sending to immigration so your application has been delayed by about 6 months and would they be able to work something out on the flights to enable you to get back to the UK to validate later in the year.

Steve
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Ideas anyone?
you could always try selling them on ebay and put a mention of it on Bexps, plus if they don't reach your reserve you don't have to sell at all
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sherie_in_oz
you could always try selling them on ebay and put a mention of it on Bexps, plus if they don't reach your reserve you don't have to sell at all
Yet finding somebody in Australia with the same FIRST and SURNAME is going to be difficult.

Remember the tickets can not be transfered to other people.

Depends what class of ticket you bought. If it's a full fare economy ticket, Buz Clas or First, you shouldn't have to much trouble changing them.

If the tixs are cheap eco then I would forget it. Remember your still going to have the problem later on. You get to England, how do you get back??? You buy some more tixs. Which results in the same problem you have now.

If you can change them good. If not, put them in a frame and remember them as your new life in AUS.