Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Extended Stay Accommodation (NZ)

Extended Stay Accommodation (NZ)

Old Dec 30th 2003, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extended Stay Accommodation (NZ)

Does anyone have any links to information on accommodation for extended stays? A house or apartment would be great but even a hotel/motel with heavily discounted long term rates would be good. I'm thinking in terms of 4 to six weeks, but possibly longer.

For house rentals, is there any barrier to an overseas visitor being able to rent? I notice that some kind of permanent address in NZ and an NZ bank account may be needed.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

i doubt you will find anyone willing to rent you a house for that short period of time...why not look into house sitting...i have never tried it myself but thought it might be a good idea for someone in your situation.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by podgypossum
i doubt you will find anyone willing to rent you a house for that short period of time...why not look into house sitting...i have never tried it myself but thought it might be a good idea for someone in your situation.
I wouldn't know where to start, but will look into it, thanks.

With a notice period of 21 days, a periodic rental is a possibility but I'm not sure if I'd be able to supply the right information to enter into a rental agreement. Does anyone know if it's possible (and easy) for an overseas visitor to rent a property?
Old Dec 31st 2003, 9:02 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

It is certainly possible for an overseas visitor to rent - depoending where you will be based - big cities have some of the "serviced apartment" type accomadation.

Try these links as starting points..

New Zealand

Housing
www.harcourts.co.nz
www.propertynz.co.nz
www.realenz.com

Employment
www.overseas-recruitment.com
www.nzjobs.co.nz

Education
www.govt.nz - All aspects of New Zealand life - government website.

Lifestyle
www.accessnz.co.nz - Site has links to just about any New Zealand focused topic you could think of.
www.nzherald.co.uk – New Zealand national paper.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by rgregan
It is certainly possible for an overseas visitor to rent - depoending where you will be based - big cities have some of the "serviced apartment" type accomadation.

Try these links as starting points..
Thanks, Richard. From looking at articles on renting, it seems as though some kind of permanent address (parents, friend, employer, etc.) is needed for a rental agreement. A bank account may also be needed. Do you know about this?

I'll be checking out your links, though.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tony

I've just emailed my real estate agent in NZ for you, she's usually pretty quick at getting back to me, I'll post her answer when I get it.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice

Here's another one, but I don't know what's available in your area.

house rentals
Old Dec 31st 2003, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by nell m
Hi Tony

I've just emailed my real estate agent in NZ for you, she's usually pretty quick at getting back to me, I'll post her answer when I get it.
Thanks, Nell. I didn't know you could get your own personal estate agent!
Old Dec 31st 2003, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Oh, you have to be very special.... She was the agent who sold us the house out there and she's currently acting as rental agent.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hi I've recently changed my email address and my agent sent the reply to my old one so I only just found it today whilst checking the account just in case. here was the reply:

> Eileen Hi,
>
> In answer to your question.. They would need written references from previous landlords - if they have never been a tenant then character references would probably be ok. Need to make sure they will pay the rent - maybe credit reference also. Hope this is helpful.
>
Weather here is fabulous - no clouds, mountain looks fabulous and sun is shining temp is easily 20 celsius. Great swimming, water is warm so all is well in "Taradise".
>
> Hope all is well with your family. I will keep in touch.
>
> Cheers
> Viv
>

Hope this helps & is'nt redundant info already!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by nell m
Hi I've recently changed my email address and my agent sent the reply to my old one so I only just found it today whilst checking the account just in case. here was the reply:

> Eileen Hi,
>
> In answer to your question.. They would need written references from previous landlords - if they have never been a tenant then character references would probably be ok. Need to make sure they will pay the rent - maybe credit reference also. Hope this is helpful.
>
Weather here is fabulous - no clouds, mountain looks fabulous and sun is shining temp is easily 20 celsius. Great swimming, water is warm so all is well in "Taradise".
>
> Hope all is well with your family. I will keep in touch.
>
> Cheers
> Viv
>

Hope this helps & is'nt redundant info already!
Thanks, Nell. I've decided to book into a motel for the first two weeks and see how things pan out. It's a good rate, a bit like an expensive house, working out at less than $60 per day. I think I may need to move around a lot, so a rental place is probably not a good idea. But that might change so this sort of information is useful.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:09 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by sofistek
Thanks, Nell. I've decided to book into a motel for the first two weeks and see how things pan out. It's a good rate, a bit like an expensive house, working out at less than $60 per day. I think I may need to move around a lot, so a rental place is probably not a good idea. But that might change so this sort of information is useful.
Tony, I think you have made the best choice there, with more flexibility to move around.

However, regarding rentals and speaking as a Landlord; if a prospective tenant offered to pay the rent in full, up front, I would be quite happy to rent to someone migrating here.

Most migrants will have the funds to pay for the first few months accommodation, even though they have no jobs or bank refs. I'm not sure if the Property Agents will want to accept it that way though !! Also a property agent will keep the first weeks rent + GST, so it cuts down on what the landlord gets to keep from a short term let.