British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Exporting your dog to Aus... avoiding quarantine! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/exporting-your-dog-aus-avoiding-quarantine-480904/)

alipally Sep 13th 2007 2:16 pm

Exporting your dog to Aus... avoiding quarantine!

http://www.gettingdownunder.com/immi...ng-t30938.html

Check out this thread, for those of us who are dreading leaving our pooches in Quarantine,if you have some time to spare, or a friend/relative in NZ this seems like a good alternative!

Ali x

homewardbound Sep 13th 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Exporting your dog to Aus... avoiding quarantine!

It's 90 days though, I think i would rather 30 days with 4 weekly visits and then a happy collection!

Dan the Plumber Sep 13th 2007 6:46 pm

Hi Ali,
Just noticed you are in Worcester! I am in Drakes Broughton near Pershore?
No reply to your thread just though I'd say hi!
Btw, wife is called Ali too!
Dan
Ps Back off to Perth!

mark and jo Sep 13th 2007 8:37 pm

Hi Ali, we are from Worcester too,Wardon Villages and Dan I work in Pershore at Allen Gears.
Hope all goes well for you both.
We fly out to Brisbane on the 7th of October :thumbsup:

esperanza Sep 13th 2007 9:26 pm

Or another alternative is to work really hard and convince the authorities that a) you are blind and b) your dog is a seeing eye dog. That way they can go with you on the plane and have to do no quarantine!

cresta57 Sep 13th 2007 9:46 pm

Or you could become US president & bring 30 of your own sniffer dogs in. Ignoring quarantine laws because your far more important:unsure:

k76 Sep 13th 2007 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 5308774)
Or you could become US president & bring 30 of your own sniffer dogs in. Ignoring quarantine laws because your far more important:unsure:

Seriously, 30 days in quarantine is not a problem for dogs(or owners) unless they have severe separation anxiety. Dogs are taken well care of at the quarantine station. The dog won't know how long it takes. I think it's better to take it all as one hit and then move on to a normal life once it's out of quarantine. The NZ thing is going to involve multiple changes of circumstances for the dog, it won't understand at all whats going on.

alipally Sep 14th 2007 10:16 am

I must have changed my mind a hundred times about how to get our weimaraner over there.
Nah 30 days is not biggie in the scheme of things, and she's so laid back, it'll be hard to tell if she noticed (except for the fact that she'll have to sleep in a kennel instead of Son's bed!)
Oh Hell, I'll probably change my mind a good few times before we finally go!

Ali x

Sammy T Sep 14th 2007 10:58 am

Just tagging onto to this, having left our dog for 3 weeks when we went to Oz. She settled really well into the routine and was fine when we picked her up, we had a bit of a shock at the bill, though! So I wouldn't worry about her being in quarantine for 4 weeks, my problem is OH does not want to take her at all - he can think of other things to spend the money and does not the restriction of having a dog if we want to go away for the weekend etc, also he's worried that we would not find a house to rent easily with a pet.
I do get what he is saying but the thought of giving her away ( we do have several people who would love to have her) breaks my heart :( and I think she would help me and the kids to settle in.
Anyone else had a difference of opinion?

Sammy

alipally Sep 14th 2007 11:06 am

I love my Girl really, but, I do harbour similar thoughts to your OH.:o

I had a dog before and she got cancer and died when she was 3.... it broke my heart and I simply don't feel the same about this one,(she's 6 so I guess it's never going to happen) so have an element of detachment about it. However the boys say they're NOT leaving without her... so my bed is made, and frankly she's a lovely pet, so I just have to suck it up and get on with it! \

Ali x