Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exporting your car from UK to Oz??

Exporting your car from UK to Oz??

Old Jun 21st 2006, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

silversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant future
Default Exporting your car from UK to Oz??

Hi all,
I was wondering if this was a good or bad idea to export my motor to Sydney.
Basically a 4x4 (X-trail), bought for 17k and 3 years old.

In your experience is this a good idea or a bad idea?

Have any of you exported your car to Oz, so you wouldn't have to purchase one when you got out there? Was your experience good or bad?

What are the state of the cars in Oz? Decent?

Financially, what makes more sense - Selling my car before we go over, or bring my car over and run it for the next few years till it dies to get my moneys worth.

My cars such a decent runner, never let me down, I'd be hopping mad if I sold it here, bought one out there to find one that gives no end of trouble!!

If I did decide to buy one out in Oz, is there a particular make/model thats regarded as decent & reliable?

Sorry for too much questions, it would really help out to know about your experience with this.
Much thanks!
Old Jun 21st 2006, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of
Default Re: Exporting your car from UK to Oz??

We spoke to our agent about this as although we won't be going until next year it is something we thought about as we have a car that is only 18 months old.

We were told that the cost of shipping it, insurance and inport tax doesn't normally make it worth while. The car has to meet the licensing authority's safety and emission levels and it can be costly to modify the car to meet these. Also it can be difficult and more expensive when it comes to servicing and getting parts for the car as they may not be widely available over there.

We will sell both our cars and then buy something when we get there.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 12:41 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeresaG
We spoke to our agent about this as although we won't be going until next year it is something we thought about as we have a car that is only 18 months old.

We were told that the cost of shipping it, insurance and inport tax doesn't normally make it worth while. The car has to meet the licensing authority's safety and emission levels and it can be costly to modify the car to meet these. Also it can be difficult and more expensive when it comes to servicing and getting parts for the car as they may not be widely available over there.

We will sell both our cars and then buy something when we get there.
A friend of mine is currently exporting his motorcycle to Aus. He says that the paperwork is worse than DIMIA's!

S
Old Jun 21st 2006, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silversurfer
Hi all,

Have any of you exported your car to Oz, so you wouldn't have to purchase one when you got out there? Was your experience good or bad?

Financially, what makes more sense - Selling my car before we go over, or bring my car over and run it for the next few years till it dies to get my moneys worth.

My cars such a decent runner, never let me down, I'd be hopping mad if I sold it here, bought one out there to find one that gives no end of trouble!!

If I did decide to buy one out in Oz, is there a particular make/model thats regarded as decent & reliable?

Sorry for too much questions, it would really help out to know about your experience with this.
Much thanks!
Don't bother. Sorry to be blunt...but, its financially ludicrous to take your car over. :scared:

Here's a thread I started a while back:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362618

Regards
TC
Old Jun 21st 2006, 1:35 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silversurfer
Hi all,

Much thanks!
Gona cost ya upwards of £5K to bring it over.

and I mean upwards from that. We looked at it to bring our X5 over but ended up selling it before coming over.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

silversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant future

Cripes!!!
I think that's anwered my questions, and provided my definate answer! :scared:
Thanks everyone! Now wheres the "sell your car" part of this forum.....

btw, great link Touching Cloth.