Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exporting Motorbike....

Exporting Motorbike....

Old Mar 7th 2002, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough
Default Exporting Motorbike....

Does anyone have any ideas how much it would cost to have a bike transferred from the UK to Australia or is it just worth buying one out there?....also.....off topic I know...but......are the roads any good (ie not all straight and boring)/plenty of race circuits around?

Strange questions I know...but if you dont ask....
Old Mar 7th 2002, 8:51 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice
Default Re: Exporting Motorbike....

Mr Fibble,

we are taking 2 classic bikes with us and quotes that we have had are about £800 per bike. Because they are classics we won't have much duty (if any) to pay. Have a look at the Australian Customs Web site they have a bit about motorbikes www.customs.gov.au

Susan
Old Mar 7th 2002, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that....dont think I could bare to leave my Blackbird behind if it all works out!
Old Mar 7th 2002, 8:57 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

My husband can't wait to get on those open roads where there isn't much traffic or many sheep!!!
Old Mar 7th 2002, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know what you mean...although I am worried its just going to be loads of long straight roads....I would miss my twisties and track days!
Old Mar 7th 2002, 9:01 pm
Came Back 2003

don't worry there are plenty of twisty roads, at least there was when we were last there in 1995!!!

Susan
Old Mar 7th 2002, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point

nice to hear there are normal people heading down under with the same enthusiasim for bikes that i have,
i must say i wanted to ask the same question about taking my bike but i was convinced there wouldnt be an answer,
so thanks for doing it for me.
i have a custom chop im hoping to take, its all leagle over here but im a bit worried aus laws may differ about choping things about and not keeping as standard wot do you think
shaun
Old Mar 7th 2002, 10:49 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

A friend of mine took his CBR 600 with him to New Zealand & said after all the hassle, it wasn't worth it, just as well to sell it here before you go & buy one when you get out there! After all, they sell Blackbirds in Australia!
I'm off to NZ ("The best country in the world to ride a bike".......BIKE Magazine)myself & wont be taking my bike, will be buying one out there at about 70% of the cost it is here!
Can't wait for all those NZ twisties & track days!!!!!!!!!
Ride safe & have fun.........
Old Mar 7th 2002, 11:36 pm
Russell Driver

MrFlibbleUK <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I know what you mean...although I am worried its just going to be loads of long
    > straight roads....I would miss my twisties and track days!
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Try looking around Adelaide.The hills roads are superb!

Not good for passengers suffering from travel sickness though!

Russell

--
Luck is when the paths of preparation and opportunity cross. www.auseelife.com

Old Mar 8th 2002, 9:37 am
Thunder Ace

heading downunder 2002 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > My husband can't wait to get on those open roads where there isn't much traffic or
    > many sheep!!!

He'd better watch it. Not much traffic or sheep maybe, but plenty of 'roos and police
cars with onboard speed traps. The roos jump out in front of you when you least
expect, hence all the bull bars on the vehicles. The cops drive along the road with
the onboard radar on. You can be haring around a bend and meet the fuzz coming in the
opposite direction. The're not keen on speeding in 'Oz, like in America, it's not
cool and usually not acceptable.

I'm going to flog my bike before I go and when I arrive I'll get a dirt bike for
going out bush. Great fun!

2 + 2 = 5 as 2 tends to infinity

Thunder Ace

Old Mar 8th 2002, 12:06 pm
Jeanette L Fleu

MrFlibbleUK...We're taking our bike to Aus from the UK, it fits nicely into its own
crate in the container taking the rest of the household goods. Make sure your
paperwork is in order before you go! The only parts we have to change on our Virago
is the headlight and speedo to be compliant with Aus road rules. BTW...if you're in
Victoria, give the Great Ocean Road a go, it's not a speed race track, just nice
curves and great views! ~JeaNette~ "MrFlibbleUK" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
    > Do they have plenty of race circuits for track days and the like??? I guess if the
    > roads arent any good/too many coppers lurking thats the other alternative!
    >
    > ThunderAce...I take it thats the bike you have is it?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 8th 2002, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Do they have plenty of race circuits for track days and the like??? I guess if the roads arent any good/too many coppers lurking thats the other alternative!

ThunderAce...I take it thats the bike you have is it?
Old Mar 15th 2002, 9:05 pm
Gordon

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what the rules are for getting a full Oz
motorbike license. I have a full UK license. I know that there is some limit on how
long after you have migrated that you must pass your test by for a car, but I don't
know if the same applies for motorbikes.

Cheers

Gordon

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002 17:37:44 -0000, "Jeanette L Fleury"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>MrFlibbleUK...We're taking our bike to Aus from the UK, it fits nicely into its own
    >crate in the container taking the rest of the household goods. Make sure your
    >paperwork is in order before you go! The only parts we have to change on our Virago
    >is the headlight and speedo to be compliant with Aus road rules. BTW...if you're in
    >Victoria, give the Great Ocean Road a go, it's not a speed race track, just nice
    >curves and great views! ~JeaNette~ "MrFlibbleUK" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >message news:[email protected]...
    >> Do they have plenty of race circuits for track days and the like??? I guess if the
    >> roads arent any good/too many coppers lurking thats the other alternative!
    >>
    >> ThunderAce...I take it thats the bike you have is it?
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 16th 2002, 7:05 pm
Came Back 2003

Gordon,

I think it probably depends where you plan to settle. We are heading for Brisbane and from what I can gather, like the car test my husband will have to complete the theory test but with extra questions I expect related to riding morotrbikes, safety etc.

Hope this helps

Susan